Are Charter Arms Revolvers Worth It?

Ferretboy

My wife owns a Lavender Lady, it shoots great and weighs less than my M36. I would be very interested in a .357 Pug if I could find one.

Ben Dover

I had a .44 Bull Dog. The double action trigger stroke was atrocious.

I suppose that they would suffice for a night stand gun that isn't used much, but it you plan on extensive shooting, I would avoid them.

On the other hand, that is an opinion based on one single sample.

LouisianaMan

they work for me :)

Got married in 1980 and first purchase was a Charter Arms Undercover in .38 Special. Always worked fine, but I only fired about 500-1000 rounds through it. Wound up stationed in Houston within a couple miles of Collectors' Firearms, and over two years I traded them probably every gun I owned :)

Recently got one of the notorious Charco .357 Mag Pugs. It worked well as a backup for a BRPD cop, for a friend of mine named Revolvergeek, and for me, too. Traded it just because there were others I wanted even more.

A year or so ago I bought a Charter Pug .44 stainless, and have been equally happy with it. Put on Pachmayrs, which fit me just a bit more naturally than the factory grips. Very handy for concealed carry. I generally carry a 32-1 and a 33-1 in cal. .38 S&W, but carry the Pug when heat, sweat, and light clothing reduce me to one-gun carry. In Louisiana summers, believe me, it earns its keep.

FM12

I like them for what they are. Have carried them as primary concealed weapon and also as back up on duty.

Cosmodragoon

I am actively looking for the Patriot in my original post now. Either I'll buy that or an old 4" Sp101 in .32 H&R that can be rechambered, if I can find it. As per some of these novelties posted along the way, I've got a grippe.

I have been in the market for a S&W 432PD for a long time. The appeal is that it's a tiny 6-shooter in manageable .32 H&R Magnum with a shrouded hammer. Those Charter Undercoverettes are still in current production and actually available, if you don't mind what color you get. :p (Of course, the case can be made that the gold & black model is masculine enough.) I've got two problems with them though. First is the exposed hammer. I understand the benefits but that rules it out for me as "pocket carry". The second and bigger problem is that they are only a 5-shot revolver. A major and perhaps the major selling point in the .32 magnum revolvers is that you could pack 6 on the same frame where .38s only allowed for 5. For what conceivable reason did Charter Arms not give these the extra capacity?

LouisianaMan

Cosmodragoon,
Pure speculation on my part:
1. Perhaps saves width to maximize concealment?
2. Ditto for an ounce or two?
3. It most probably just allows Charter to use much of the same tooling and internal parts it uses for the .22's or .38's, thereby keeping down cost. I suspect that changing the geometry of the cylinder from 5 (72 degrees each trigger pull) to 6 shots (60 degrees each) would change almost every operating part's machining and fitting angles & tolerances.

Just guesses--maybe it will help smoke out the real reason(s).

Why not contact Charter and ask? While you're at it, see what they say about bobbing the hammer or replacing it with one of their purpose-built bobbed hammers. Can't hurt to ask.

Old Stony

Are the Charters good guns?........No. If you want a cheap gun that won't hold up to years of good service and are only looking for something with a cheap price, they will fill the bill for you. If you want a cheap gun, you only get cheap quality.

Bill DeShivs

I have been working on, collecting, engraving, and shooting guns for 40 years.
I have S&Ws & Colts. The Charters are good little guns. Just because they aren't made like a S&W doesn't mean they aren't serviceable firearms. We keep 2 stashed around the house.

jolly roger

I used to have a Bulldog first model in bright nickel. Only one I have ever seen...shoulda kept it. Good shooter actually. Also had a stainless Undercover that was decent too.