Are 4 legged critters a consideration for your daily self defense carry?

Ricklin

Double Naught,
Superb and well thought out post. The boogyman is far more likely to be known to you. Plan accordingly. Cartels are burying the USA in meth and heroin. Meth makes people crazy.

Forte S+W

As a matter of fact, they are.

I live in a valley surrounded by woods, and in recent years, an increasing number of wild animals have been coming out of the woods. Animals have always wandered out of the woods a little, but it was always deer or turkeys, never anything predatory. However, just a few years ago we started having trouble with coyotes, then we had sightings of boar, then we started finds bear tracks/scat in the yard.
At which point, I upgraded from .380 ACP to .40 S&W. Some folks will say that .40 is insufficient for self-defense against predatory animals, but we aren't dealing with Grizzly here, and my primary concern is still two-legged predators, so I'm not about to start carrying my H&K USP45 Elite, much less my 590 Shockwave. I carry an M&P40 Shield during warm weather, an SW40VE during cold weather, and I'm confident that either will do the job should I run into a wild animal between getting out of the car and into the house.

Tom-R2

Here in Central Ohio, I doubt if we would run into anything bigger than an angry dog, although I have seen a few folks hurt by an injured whitetail deer hit by a car when they got too close. Anything I carry for personal self defense should be effective against any threat we encounter. We have started to have credible reports in the eastern Appalachian counties of black bears being seen occasionally, but that's several counties east of us and they have not made it this far (yet).

TXAZ

4 legged is my main concern.
I started carrying about 10 years ago after several incidents including being charged by an unleashed German Shepherd starting 50 yards away (dang they move fast) followed by coyotes and bobcats, and credible reports of mountain lions.
I’m still too young to die but too old to get my gluteus kicked / eaten and then recover from an animal attack.

RETG

Yes. I live in eastern Idaho and walk my dogs at 3-4AM. No grizzlies in this area, but there are some blacks, and some visitors in the night in the yard
4aQZnzS.jpg

And some during the daytime
QDZ8IV1.jpg

And the sudden appearance during a early AM walk when a full bull moose came out from behind a row of trees....

But I do not carry a caliber to kill....just to scare away and it works on lions quite well.

mrt949

A few years ago .A neighbor had 3 hybrid wolves .
Was going to work one morning .
When they were going through the trash .
I was carrying a BERETTA 21 A At the time .
Next day went back to My MP 40C
Told her next time I will Cancel Christmas for her animals .
She had her ELECTRIC FENCE FIXED.

Geezerbiker

It's amazing how warnings like that seem to work... A neighbor had a dog that came up to me barking in a threatening manor in my driveway when I first moved here. Fortunately the owner of the animal was there to stop it. I told him to control his dog or I'd end it. I open packed around the yard for the next few days. The problem went away...

Tony

Moonglum

It's amazing how warnings like that seem to work... A neighbor had a dog that came up to me barking in a threatening manor in my driveway when I first moved here. Fortunately the owner of the animal was there to stop it. I told him to control his dog or I'd end it. I open packed around the yard for the next few days. The problem went away...

Tony
I bet you made a wonderful first impression on your neighbors

I have been hunting the swamps for years and frequent encounters with bears. Never a problem. I do carry a sidearm, but only for any two legged creatures I might encounter so far back in. Actually my biggest scare is TICKS.

The concern of 4 legged creatures come from my suburban neighborhood. Jerks with vicious dogs.

Last edited:

JustJake

When in Alaska, yes.

Last time I was up there, it seemed everyone going into the bush was packing a 10mm of some flavor - Glock 20s mostly, but a couple had the then-new G40 longlside.

Others had 1911s in 10mm. Saw a few big magnum revolvers too.

While not everyone was carrying their weapon in a chest holster, that type of rig seemed to be getting popular. Unlike a hip holster, it doesn't catch every bush or branch going through the woods and boonies.

Targa

My 144# Bullmastiff is likely the largest 4 legged critter I'm likely to encounter.:D
attachment.php

How do I consider what to carry for SD?
Of the concealable pistols I own, would I prefer this in hand if I had to defend myself?
Note how location or "anticipated threat" are not factored in that simple question.
Anywhere I'd prefer a 32/380/38 snub in hand to defend myself rather than a Glock 23? No, nope. ... Look how simple that was.;)
Duke is one handsome critter!!!!

Bob Willman

We don't have too many dangerous 4 legged critters in NW Ohio but I will confess to dispatching 1 woodchuck behind my sand pile bullet stop with my Springfield XDs .45 while mowing the lawn.

Bob
WB8NQW

Spats McGee

Administrator
....What I was just wondering, since we are all from such different areas, is:

- how many of you fellow CCW permit holders have had to give thought to defense from 4-legged threats in your daily carry? Is protection from 4-legged critters even an issue for you?

- And if it is, how important is it? Is it your main concern or a side consideration?

My life is almost 100% urban, so I don't have 4-legged predators to worry about. Only the 2-legged kind. I guess there's always some chance of an incident like the recent one in Houston (was it?) where some guy's tiger got out, but the odds are so remote as to not play a role in my EDC decisions.

Pistoler0

When in Alaska, yes.

Last time I was up there, it seemed everyone going into the bush was packing a 10mm of some flavor - Glock 20s mostly, but a couple had the then-new G40 longlside.

Others had 1911s in 10mm. Saw a few big magnum revolvers too.

While not everyone was carrying their weapon in a chest holster, that type of rig seemed to be getting popular. Unlike a hip holster, it doesn't catch every bush or branch going through the woods and boonies.
Yeah, I've been thinking about a chest holster too to carry when spending time in the woods. Covered with some sort of zip up rain jacket, as even when I am in the bush I try to conceal.

rodfac

I take a handgun along now on my daily 2-3 mile morning jaunt along our farm road...not for bears, but for a pair of overly aggressive Dobermans a 1/2 mile down the road. I've been 'nibbled' 3x now, not bitten by the pair, but had my hand aggressively 'mouthed'. Owner is sincerely apologetic, loves his dogs, but has no clue as to training. Animal control has been notified as have local county LEO's.

Kids on bikes, young moms pushing prams...old couples doing their daily constitutional...all vulnerable...I'm prepared but the others are not. For me it's a S&W M60 with +P .38's, and long familiarity with the combination's use. Hope to all get out, the owner accepts my advice, and that of the LEO's that have responded.

For fishing in bear country...read the Smokies along the NC/TN border...I carry a S&W M69 stoked with Hornady XTP's or Keith's load. (The gun takes magnums and weighs 38 oz. empty so it's easy on the belt or chest). I've not had to use it along the remote trout streams that I fish, down there, but the gun & bear spray, give me some options in the event of a problem. That area, north of Fontana Lake, is well patrolled by park rangers so there's little chance of a standoff with druggies guarding their patch, but still....

Lastly, back in my 40-50's, I hunted Colorado's high country for elk, and once had to pack out my tag filler near dusk. Dreading the weight/altitude hike, I elected to leave my 35 Whelen Rem M700 in the jeep after the first load. On the way back to the kill site I found fresh bear tracks in the snow along my trail....with no gun, no spray & 100 lbs of meat on my back...what could possibly go wrong...I never saw that bear, but had the cold shakes all the way. (Left the kill lashed up in a couple spruce trees and retrieved it the next am.) That was the LAST time I went without a heavy handgun while hunting there. A chest or tanker type rig would have worked well, I think, with the pack board I was using...

YMMv Rod

Last edited:

peacefulgary

I live in the Piedmont region of NC, about an hour from Charlotte, and the only 4 legged threat I really worry about is some meth-head's Pittbull.
It's been said that we have panthers around here but I've never seen one or know of anyone who has.
We do have black bears in the mountains and out near the coast, but they are not typically aggressive.

When folks visit us from up north we always warn them, the biggest threats you're likely to encounter down here are Fire-ants, Hornets, and Yellow-jackets.