AR15 groups change size when handguard removed?

44 AMP

Staff
My M1A is GI "Rack grade" gun. Other than the receiver its all GI parts, the stock even has the FA parts cut out. The handguard is the standard "plastic" GI snap on one and its not even remotely "tight fitting". Rotate? no. It can't, being in contact with the stock, there's no way it rotates any. A slight wiggle is possible with hand pressure, but it doesn't turn or twist, there's simply no place for it go in order to do that.

The last AR I had, (and that was 30 years ago) was a copy of the XM 177 (in semi, of course) and its round handguards were pretty snug fitting, but that gun's accuracy was never a concern to me. Although round in profile the handguard attachment system was the same as the M16A1, not the free floated barrel of later models.

zeke

My M1A is GI "Rack grade" gun. Other than the receiver its all GI parts, the stock even has the FA parts cut out. The handguard is the standard "plastic" GI snap on one and its not even remotely "tight fitting". Rotate? no. It can't, being in contact with the stock, there's no way it rotates any. A slight wiggle is possible with hand pressure, but it doesn't turn or twist, there's simply no place for it go in order to do that.

The last AR I had, (and that was 30 years ago) was a copy of the XM 177 (in semi, of course) and its round handguards were pretty snug fitting, but that gun's accuracy was never a concern to me. Although round in profile the handguard attachment system was the same as the M16A1, not the free floated barrel of later models.
After checking "wiggle" is definitely a more accurate description on my M1A handguards. Both of which were tight (aka snug) when purchased. My modified ar handguards definitely rotate very slightly.