AR15 Barrel

Kevin_d77

Dang, I just ordered the other one! I guess if I build another the Wylde chamber might be the way to go huh?

Did I make a bad move in buying the one I did???

MarkCO

No Kevin, you are fine. There are lots of choices out there and your choice will serve you very well for years. My night match rifle wears a barrel very similar to yours and it is probably the most utilitarian AR I own.

That barrel I linked is more of a 3Gun match barrel that combines rifle length gas, medium weight, a .223 Wylde chamber and accuracy for a wide range of shooting at high speed.

Cy4ka

Yea man 1:7 is fast. You aren't going to be using 70+gr ammo all the time.

My BCM is 1:8 and fires just about everything you come across from 55gr to 62gr and a bit heavier.

amd6547

"...Flash hiders are window dressing on most ARs. They can be used for a QD supressor, and they will kill some flash if you think you might be attacked by people 1000 yards out or so..."

I don't agree with that. I have a ban era upper, 16" with bare muzzle. All ammo makes a daylight visible muzzle flash...some makes a softball sized bright white flash.
The same ammo through a flash hider is largely invisible.

Rikakiah

I think his question was perhaps not between no flash hider or not, but between one option or another. In which case, I'd say for the average user, any hider is as useful as the next. Some may do better, but you won't be screwed by getting a "lesser" one.

For HD, a break might be a little more useful if it also suppresses flash, as it will direct more of the blast and sound away from the shooter (and towards the shootee). Marginally, perhaps, but something to consider if price is similar. I have no personal experience with any to recommend anything specific, though.

Theohazard

Not really. It just means you won't be quite as accurate with lighter bullets. And super-light bullets might spin so fast the copper jacket comes off in mid-flight. But for the .223/5.56 bullets most people shoot, you'll be fine. And with a 1:7 twist, you can shoot the heaviest loads that can fit in your magazine.

A flash hider was made to keep the SHOOTER from getting blinded by the muzzle flash. It was not made to keep the shooter's muzzle flash from being seen.

I prefer a nitrided barrel, but since you have already ordered yours it's a moot point. Nitrided barrels are pretty much superior to other barrels in every way except cost.

Muzzle brakes direct the blast toward the shooter, this is supposed to "brake" the recoil going back by redirecting the gas. I have a hogue muzzle brake and you can feel the shock in your chest when you shoot it. Standing next to someone shooting with it is not an option. It still makes my ears ring with electronic ear plugs. Noveske (and a couple others) do make comps that direct gasses forward, this is supposed to help with percieved noise and muzzle flip. I think most the AR's on the expendables 2 had the noveske on them. I'd get that for HD unless you're getting a can. Really, suppressing would be best.

Last edited: