AR Pistol Rebirth (after its death)

rickyrick

It’s a pistol length gas system, I may get a longer hand guard in the future to balance the look, but I don’t really care too much.

I forgot to continue holding the buffer retainer down when unscrewing the buffer tube, sounded like a mini mortar launch lol.

stagpanther

It’s a pistol length gas system, I may get a longer hand guard in the future to balance the look, but I don’t really care too much.
Is this because you're going to run it suppressed/subsonic?

rickyrick

As far as I know, BA only offers 300aac barrels with pistol length gas system. Most other makers have the same thing. I did see a cmmg barrel with carbine length system.

This runs subs and supers just fine. But, I have considered doing a suppressor.

I really just wanted to remove the specter of owning an AR pistol in the cheapest way possible, just required purchase of a new barrel and digging in the parts box for an old carbine stock and buffer tube. I guess I will put the old barrel to the chop-saw and be done with it all.

I really liked the pistol configuration, just not worth it to wake up to being a felon some day.

The lower already had a POF cartridge trigger installed in it.

HiBC

My 16 in Aero bbl was "available" and it came with pistol length gas. I did not measure the port but it looked small.
There were reviews posted that said it ran good supersonic with an H buffer.

I haven't shot it yet. I'm not losing any sleep. Case size,expansion ratio,etc 300 BLK likely plays by its own rules. Aero likely sells a barrel that will work.

I know the tappet system on a M1 Carbine is different than the direct impingement of an AR but note the M1 Carbine is in the ballpark as far as bore/case size/ burn rate etc. Example? A 110 gr bullet and H-110 .
Gas port location on an M1 Carbine is roughly pistol length AR.

I forgot my twist rate but its not remarkably quick for 200 gr subsonics etc.

It'll be OK.

rickyrick

I think it’s going to be a good brush/truck gun.

I don’t particularly like the carbine collapsible stocks, but I can live with it. I long ago converted all my carbine stocks to A2 rifle stocks, hence the the carbine stocks in the parts box.

stagpanther

Ah--forgot about that. I should have known since I have an early 300 BO AR pistol build I did which just joined the mothballed fleet.:eek: