AR peep sight question

Tim R

Chris..... I have a couple of match AR's. These have apertures which I can change out depending on light. The smallest aperture is small enough to be useless on a cloudy day. I also have a carbine type AR. I found the M-1 Garand is easier to have a sharp front sight because the sight raduis is longer than the AR's. The fix? Go to an eye Doc and explain the problem with the front sight. Target can be fuzzy, front post can not. I have a shooting buddy who wears contacts. He was able to get a script for a 1/2 diopter less power for his shooting eye. I wear glasses and have a scrpt for a 1/4 diopter less power for my shooting eye lens. This works for near sighted people but the idea works for both one way or another for far sighted. OK now you know I have two pairs of glasses......one for livin' the other for shootin'.

Jimro

Actually what I'm using is Col. Chuck Santose' Improved Battle Zero. Google Santose Improved Battle Zero and you'll see a bunch of pages about it.

The PDF file below explains it very well:

I'm familiar with the Col's work, it really is a fix to an issue that doesn't exist anymore as pretty much everyone is using an M4 with at least a CompM2 red dot on top. At least anyone who is leaving the wire.

I've actually been meaning to reset my rear sight so I can get a good 200 meter zero for the standing off hand portion of a match without having to adjust my front sight from its 300 meter zero. But that will be for next years season.

Jimro

DMK

I'm familiar with the Col's work, it really is a fix to an issue that doesn't exist anymore as pretty much everyone is using an M4 with at least a CompM2 red dot on top.
Just curious, what zero is everyone using with their Aimpoints?

I use the IBZ 200m zero with my red dots (and the one scoped AR I have too). I also just leave my iron sights at this zero, I don't bother with the range dials.

I'm just a lowly civilian with a carbine for plinking and self defense, so I have no need for a zero past 200m with my AR. +/- 2 or 3" is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Of course, this is a personal choice. Everyone's needs vary.

Jimro

M855 out of an M4 zeroed at 300 meters gives a maximum ordinate of +7 inches at 180 meters. As long as you aim for the chest you are fine, all the way out to about 350 meters (which is -7 inches).

Jimro

essohbe

Actually what I'm using is Col. Chuck Santose' Improved Battle Zero. Google Santose Improved Battle Zero and you'll see a bunch of pages about it.
The PDF file below explains it very well:

Lol, I did exactly what he is talking about on my 6/3 marked detachable handle rear sight. I think it works allot better for me than without doing what he said, I love the 50yd crossover for my range. If you take it to 100m and still use the unamed (smaller) aperature you can still shoot within the 200m zero using a little hold-under without even bothering to flip to the 0-2.