AR/ M4 backup sight suggestions

Cowboy_mo

Recently took the 'black rifle' plunge and have been researching "backup" or as we old timers would say, IRON sights. I am looking for a the pair (front and back) for under $100.

I do NOT want polymer.

Planning to also have a red dot mounted and set up the irons up to cowitness with it.

Thanks for your input.

rickyrick

I was all ready to suggest some great polymer sights.... But I actually read the post right the first time.

But I'm not stealing the thread, I'm gonna follow this one because it is a question I've thought about posting myself

Tjohn

It will be difficult to obtain quality back up sights for less than $100 for the pair unless, you buy used or catch a good sale. The Daniel Defense fixed sights are well built and decently priced, not much over $100 for the pair. If you want folding look at Troy, Yankee Hill, Midwest Industries. However these will all run over $100 for the pair unless you find a deal.

I have found milspec colt carry handle sights for under $10 at times. You could cut one of those down for a rear sight and save some money and just get the daniel defense front sight and still get them to cowitness with a red dot. This would get you well below $100.

rickyrick

I do have what amounts to cut down carry handle sights on one of my rifles... It was fairly cheap...

But, what I ended up doing was: I took the guts out of a milspec carry handle and installed them on the cut down version. I didn't like the parts on the non milspec cut down style sight.

ronl

Try the UTG sights. They are pretty good for the price. Just be sure you get the correct height for your set-up. I bought some many years ago just to try them out. While decent, they were not what I wanted. I ended up with YHM sights on that particular rifle.

marine6680

If you are against the polymer sights due to perceived durability issues... I have seen drop test results where the polymer sights survived better than metal sights. Basically the metal sights bent to the point of not being usable due to zero shift and an inability to be re-zeroed. The polymer ones did not.

But, some people just like the look of metal better. The problem is the budget, as most of the quality sights cost more.

The Troy fixed sights are not bad and reasonably priced, but will go over budget a bit.

PSA did offer a set at one time.

I am a big fan of the Magpul MBUS Pro sights... On sale they can be had for about $125 for the set... not on sale the price is closer to $150.

I use my iron sights more than I do optics.
I have optics on Larue mounts than I can take on and off with reliable return to zero. I really enjoy shooting iron sights, so a lot of the time, I take the optic off and shoot with iron sights. I recognize the advantages of optics and I certainly have optics on most of my rifles, again, I just enjoy shooting irons.

So, I don't really consider them backup sights since I use them frequently, and I am willing to spend the money to get what I consider to be good sights. Most people just put iron sights on as sort of an after thought and I don't fault them for this, but since I use them a lot, I pay the money for good ones.

All that being said, this is what I use: http://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=KM25650

I have these on at least a half dozen different uppers and have used them for years.

rpseraph

Magpul MBUS Pro, $140. Those would be about the cheapest steel irons I'd trust. Great reviews, as good as much higher priced troy battle sights or Daniel Defense sights.

There are some others that I have not tried out, but I know there are several others that some people put on their rifles for pretty cheap.

Amazon has a set of Green Blob Aluminum Mil-Spec sights for like $22, good reviews, especially for the money. I would rather spend it on a good set of Magpul Gen II Polymer sights.

IdahoG36

For ~$130 a set, I really like the Troy Battlesights. I own three sets of the micro Battlesights for my Sig 556 and both Patriot Ordnance Factory rifles. They are well built and sturdy.

I know that you said no polymer, but if you can get over that the Magpul MBUS is a great buis option as well. I have four sets of those and they have been completely fine for several years now. No issues or complaints whatsoever.

Targa

I am glad to hear the positive reviews on the polymer Magpuls. I am kind of on the same page as the op in reference to not wanting polymer sights but after pricing the metal ones I decided the gen 2 mbus sights were the way to go for the AR I am waiting on.

Cowboy_mo

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

I found a machined aluminum set on Amazon for about $35 and went with them.

To the guys who insisted on the polymers being best, I like Fords and evidently you like Chevys. To each his own.

To the guys who liked the more expensive irons because they are your primary sight, if my eyes were about 40 years younger I couldn't agree more but for me they are a backup and I'm poor....... LOL

Seriously, thanks to all for commenting and trying to help. This is a great place!

rickyrick

All the sights are over priced in my opinion ... Lol...
It's a pretty low tech affair, but we are at the mercy of the markets

WVsig

I see you already picked up a pair of cheap sights. I hope they work out for you. I second the Mbus Pros. I got mine for about $135 but honestly there is nothing wrong with the polymer ones.

Another great way to get a lower cost set is in forum classifieds. Since you are looking for AR15 sights I would jump over to AR15.com and check out the classified section. People are always buying and selling sights that they swap out.

For example a set of Troys for $90 http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_163/1538629_Set_of_Troy_fixed_back_up_sights.html

doofus47

i had a pair of Brownell backup AR sights that are like HK sights.
They are theoretically built to sight for NATO-spec 62gr ammo.
I use them with 55, mostly. I just bought a stack of 62 and will check them against that when I get a chance.
I think they were $60-$80. Solidly built.

Fishbed77

If you are against the polymer sights due to perceived durability issues... I have seen drop test results where the polymer sights survived better than metal sights. Basically the metal sights bent to the point of not being usable due to zero shift and an inability to be re-zeroed. The polymer ones did not.

But if the spring breaks (or breaks loose) on a spring-loaded polymer sight (such as the MBUS), it is rendered completely inoperable. It becomes just a useless floppy piece of plastic.

I will take a slight POA shift over complete loss of BUIS any day. You would have to intentionally abuse something like like the Troy Folding Battlesight to get a sight that can not be re-zeroed.

Theohazard

Fishbed77 said:
But if the spring breaks (or breaks loose) on a spring-loaded polymer sight (such as the MBUS), it is rendered completely inoperable. It becomes just a useless floppy piece of plastic.
Sure, and if the locking spring on my Troy Folding Battlesight breaks or comes loose, the sight won't lock in the "up" position and it becomes a useless floppy piece of metal.

Do you have any evidence that the spring on the Magpul MBUS is more likely to break or come loose than the spring on the Troy sights? I much prefer the Troy sights, but that's because they have a better sight picture. But unless you're mounting the front sight directly on the gas block, I don't think the Troy sights are any more durable than the Magpul MBUSs.

AK103K

I have GG&G, Troy, and MagPul plastic. The GG&G's are the nicest, and they better be, at about $280 a set. They are rock soild when deployed and when shooting for groups, and seem to offer the best accuracy. But not by a whole lot.

The Troys came with a S&W M&P 15 I picked up. They work fine, but are not in the same class as the GG&G's. They have a good bit of play in them when deployed, but the gun still shoots where I point it with them.

The MagPuls work fine as well, and are comparable to the Troys as far as accuracy goes. I have them on two AR's, and they have yet to have any issues.

If youre mounting a red dot, and its going to be your primary, I wouldnt waste the money on the higher priced sights. Other than to occasionally verify zero (the red dots do that anyway) I rarely ever use mine anymore. They are as advertised, "BUIS". In that case, the MagPuls fit the bill nicely, and will let you put more money towards a better red dot.

Im very suspicious of anything that comes at a cheap price, no matter how cool they look. There are a ton of knock offs floating around, most of which is probably "airsoft", and they are no way "quality", or anything close. I just recently saw some MagPul branded/packaged sights from China that were obviously knock offs. Pay attention, and buyer beware.

You really do get what you pay for. The reality of it is, only a rich man, can afford to buy cheap stuff. ;)

marine6680

Yeah, the spring breaking is not a problem I hear about.

Any folding sight can break in a manner that makes it useless.

A fixed sight can bend and cause impact shifts of a foot or so.

Thinking about it... The MBUS Pro sights are probably set up in a manner to be most resistant to mechanical failure... But there are those that would lament the fact that they do not lock into the up position.

SR420

If youre mounting a red dot, and its going to be your primary, I wouldnt waste the money on the higher priced sights. Other than to occasionally verify zero (the red dots do that anyway) I rarely ever use mine anymore. They are as advertised, "BUIS". In that case, the MagPuls fit the bill nicely, and will let you put more money towards a better red dot.

Agreed.
I have a set of TROY battle sights on my CQB-16 M14, but my AR is getting an MBUS rear sight.

Im very suspicious of anything that comes at a cheap price, no matter how cool they look. There are a ton of knock offs floating around, most of which is probably "airsoft", and they are no way "quality", or anything close. I just recently saw some MagPul branded/packaged sights from China that were obviously knock offs. Pay attention, and buyer beware.

Those are Magpul PTS products, made for the Airsoft community. In a pinch, they will work on a real rifle.