AR "Build" Sheet Accurate, Serviceable, Affordable parts...

Metal god

djcantr

Thanks I'll keep my eyes open for bolt issues .No offence taken . I really wanted to know what you found . Thats what I found as well in my search . Most of those are over a year old . It looks like they had some groing pains when they first started selling complete rifles .. I know that they do MPT on the BCG and stake there gas keys now so those things should not be a problem anymore .The third article down is from this year and that has me concerned . I'm concerned about the feeding problems in that one article from this year . I have 7 30rd PMAGS 2 20rd PMAGS 4 AR Stoner SS mags and 2 other metal off brand mags . The two 20rd PMAGS have feeding problems but the rest of them work great . The two 20rd PMAGS are the older model that I here have issues .

I did a 100 round torture test on the Magpul flip up front sight on a gas block a few weeks ago and the gun had no problems shooting that 100rds . I fired 100rds in 82 sec timed . That does not seem all that fast at first untill you consider I'm in CA . Ten round max aloud per mag . I had to do 10 mag dumps with a bullet button in 82 sec so I was firing pretty fast .

Because of this semi new info I will do more torture testing on both the Del-Tons I own . I'm the type of guy that will shoot the gun (responsible keeping it wet etc ) till it fails to find out if it will work or not .I will not here of thing like this and then just baby my gun . A buddy and I are going out early next year to the desert to do some big time shooting . That weekend will be a 1,000rd 5.56 weekend for sure . I will give a detailed report of how it goes .

For now I have no problems with mine . I've got to say this though . My karma is so bad I cringe a little when I write stuff like this .You watch , because I said all this the next time I go shooting my gun will lay an egg .:)

Last edited:

HKGuns

I wouldn't buy a Del-ton kit or rifle. I've read too many bad things about them. Might luck out and not have any problems but I'd rather be sure I was using quality parts.

Source please? I have nothing but good things to say about my Del-Ton and have read precious little disparaging about Del-Ton's.

The Del-Ton kit is a great, low cost option for you, it was for me OP. (Most of these assembly companies all source their parts from the same places.)

Nathan

PSA: (11/22/12)

Upper - PSA 16" M4 $250

Lower - PSA $100 ($70 blem) + $20 transfer

Charging Handle - PSA $17

Bolt Carrier Group - ar15.com $120 These are becoming hard to find at the normal $120 - $140 price.

action - Non needed!!!:D:cool:

Lower completion kit(aka trigger group) - PSA $80

Barrel(incld in Upper)

Stocks(incld in Upper and Lower Kit)

$590

Now, this brings me to my next point. This $590 (no rear sight) is a super AR, but why not make it yours by building a mix of parts which Dick's or some other lowest common denominator sporting goods store will have for $800 on Black Friday?

IMO, if building, live a little. Spend $800, but get MOE furniture in green or FDE, get a middy upper, throw in a Strikefire red dot, get a rear sight, etc

My kid's AR is:
PSA Lightweight Mid Upper - $320
Magpul MOE handguard - $39
Core15 BCG - $124
SAA lower - $100
PSA MOE Lower Completion Kit - $125
2nd buttstock and A2 Grip - $20

$835 total, but it includes a second set of furniture. . .destined to become purple!

Metal god

Nathan

That's funny , I sent the OP a PM saying that very thing . PSA has some fantastic deals for black Friday . I just placed an order my self

Achilles11B

For those who already have a favored grip and trigger picked out, Armalite has a LPK without the grip and trigger for $54. Saves a bit of cash for parts you have already planned on not using.

Nathan, I agree with your mindset. I built an 18" SPR-esque AR knowing full well that I could have bought a rifle length upper already assembled and would have been good to go, but where's the fun in that? I feel a bit more satisfaction knowing that I picked out the parts and that the configuration isn't as common, it really is MY rifle.