AR 15 issue

Shadow9mm

Glad the problem got sorted out. You might still contact the manufacturer. They might replace it for free. Worst they can do is say no

HWS

Yes, OP, I have had that problem---and just about every type of feed problem under the sun. There is a cure.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-power-mag-spring.aspx

MCarbo says this spring will cure about 70% of all feed problems. Well, it cured 100% of mine. I have not ever, even once, nada, had a feed problem with any mag in which I installed these springs. Call them and talk to them about your problem. These are great people.

IZZY

I am actually shocked by reading reviews on PSA lowers on their own website ( select lowest rated on the PSA site) their lowers seem to have taken a dive in quality since Covid...

hornetguy

As a quick update.... I found that swapping the magazine latch between the DPMS and the Sota worked. I bought a new latch for the Sota and tried it, and it worked.
I shot it some this afternoon, putting probably 60 or so rounds through it. I loaded only 5 in the magazine, sometimes 3 or 4, to test it out... it worked flawlessly with my Magpul 20 round magazines. I have two of their 10 round (?) mags that would not feed. These mags are just slightly shorter than the 20 rounders, and are straight, where the 20 rounders have a slight bend to them.

All 4 of the 20 rounders worked with no issues at all. I even shot some of my 55 gr reloads with no issues.

At this point, I'm blaming the magazine catch... I'm going to shoot it a lot in the next couple of weeks, to see if the problem has gone away.... if it is even a little un-reliable, I'm going to get a new lower and rebuild it, but today was "pain free"....

Geezerbiker

If it turns out that the mag catch doesn't fix it, would it be possible for one to have a mag catch built up with a little weld and machine work to raise up the mag?

I'm asking as a theory question not as an offer of a solution...

Tony

stagpanther

If it turns out that the mag catch doesn't fix it, would it be possible for one to have a mag catch built up with a little weld and machine work to raise up the mag?

I'm asking as a theory question not as an offer of a solution...
Or--sometimes you can simply use a Dremel to grind off a few thousandths off the slot in the magazine to adjust position.

hornetguy

Do I win a prize?

A prize..... hmmm.... how about a slightly used magazine latch? :)

I would like to get it to where it would work with ALL magazines, but that might not happen unless I get a new lower, that is built to tighter tolerances...and that option is still on the table. But if it works 100% with all magazines except the 10 rounders, I might just call it good. I only got them for use at the range, so it's no big deal if I can't use those two.