Apply for CCW in California

Maver1ck

To echo what the other's said, it really depends on your county. An attorney should definitely NOT be needed.

I used to have a CCW when I lived in California. I lived in a shall issue county and was very easy to get.

My official reason was "I own a truck and want to legally carry my pistol in the cab." They issued the permit with no other questions.

Alan0354

Alan , where do you live -what county ? Riverside is pretty much shall issue . it doesn't take much of a reason to get a permit there , San Diego has become much easier to get a CCW in the last couple years . Fresno and Orange county are pretty good with CCW . However the legislature just past something about conceal carry to make it harder or at least more cumbersome . Regardless in CA it's always been up to the county sheriff to issue the license and there are several counties in CA that are relatively easy to get a CCW in . The problem is that you must live in the county that issues the permit .

https://www.nraila.org/articles/202...lature-passes-and-newsom-signs-anti-gun-bills

https://calmatters.org/justice/criminal-justice/2022/06/california-concealed-carry/
I live in Santa Clara county in Silicon Valley.

44 AMP

Staff
Do you mean not living in California, or do you mean not having any social media accounts?

I believe he's referring to social media presence, which some people today think means you're weird if you don't have one.

A couple of comment, for consideration...

In PRINCIPLE, I do not object to requiring "good moral character", but I strenuously object to the STATE deciding what that is, and isn't. And more specifically individual office holders in the state making those decisions.

I got a NY state pistol permit in 1975. This was NOT a concealed carry permit, it was the basic permit required just to possess a handgun at all, and also allowed open carry (such as while hunting).

The "good moral character" was a part of the requirements, and the state required THREE character references. (not family members). (also 5 sets of fingerprints and 4 passport size photographs...) And yes, people did talk to the references you listed. THEIR interviews were what was used to determine if you were of "good moral character", along with your public record. Wasn't a perfect system, but I think it was better than having the state set arbitrary standards.

Metal god

That will be a problem for me because I have ZERO social media presence . When I say none I mean none and I’ve never had any . My guess is that I’ll be a plaintiff is the next lawsuit.

44 AMP

Staff
Its not ZERO, if you're here....

This site falls under the broad definition of "social media". Never forget that everything you do or say on the internet is NOT truly private.

Metal god

This site falls under the broad definition of "social media".

Yeah but I'm not me here I'm MG . they can search all they want on social media sites for my real name and they will not find me .

Point taken though , this is social media .

44 AMP said:
This site falls under the broad definition of "social media".
But does it fall under the narrow definition of "social media"?

Personally, I don't regard discussion forums such as this to be social media but it doesn't really matter unless/until you find yourself in a situation such as New York where you are asked to cough up your social media accounts. At that point, the only definition that matters is how the law they are acting under defines "social media."

44 AMP

Staff
I forget where I saw it, but it was only a few days ago, and the definition used for social media was literally any site where individuals can exchange information, either directly or with personal messages.

It was not restricted to sites like Facebook, twitter, or other of the "common" sites considered social media, it literally covered every site where people communicate with each other. About ANYTHING....

This site is one of those.

Not being here under your real name doesn't hide that you are here. From a causual search it might, but from any official investigation, it won't.

Now, here's a question, IF for example the state asks for all your social media accounts (and passwords??) WITHOUT A WARRANT, and you miss one, or forget one is that going to be a crime???

44 AMP said:
Now, here's a question, IF for example the state asks for all your social media accounts (and passwords??) WITHOUT A WARRANT, and you miss one, or forget one is that going to be a crime???
It depends. If they are asking pursuant to a law that defines "social media" in a way that includes sites such as this, then I guess I'd make an effort to remember the sites I've been on most frequently or most recently. If the state doesn't define "social media" that way (or at all), my response is going to be, "I don't do social media. I have never created a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram account. Somebody once told me they saw my name in LinkedIn, but I have no recollection of having created a LinkedIn account."

Here's another aspect: I believe the courts have ruled that it's NOT a criminal offense to refuse to answer questions that may tend to incriminate you. (IIRC, this applies to questions such as "Are you carrying any guns?" If I can't remember everything I have posted on the Internet in however many years it has been since Al Gore invented the Internet, I certainly can't remember if I might -- one or more times -- posted something in jest that could be construed as a threat or as an expression of criminal intent. Therefore, giving up all my discussion forums and screen names could be self-incriminating -- so I shouldn't have to answer.

IANAL and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Metal god

Not being here under your real name doesn't hide that you are here. From a causual search it might, but from any official investigation, it won't.

I agree but doubt there would be an "investigation" involved . We had this conversation about what social media is at dinner last night and concluded I've been on social media for a very long time . Reason being is that I watch a lot of Youtube and although I rarely comment , there has been a handful of times I did which adds the question . Is simply visiting a site and watching a video or reading a few threads constitute a social media presence or do you need to have an account or make comments ? Meaning actively participate with others to make it social ?

Metal god said:
Is simply visiting a site and watching a video or reading a few threads constitute a social media presence or do you need to have an account or make comments ? Meaning actively participate with others to make it social ?
Unless the law defines what it considers to be "social media," it's up to you (or to a judge).