Appleseed: I'm finally gonna do it!

MrBorland

Sorry to hear of your experience, Spats. Yes, shooting prone can be difficult if it's an extended session in the hot sun, you're not used to shooting prone and/or don't have the right gear. Seems like you were able to check all three boxes :eek:. When I went, we shot under cover and I stacked towels under my support elbow for the extra padding.

On the sling: A major part of the Appleseed course is instruction on the proper use of a sling. If they didn't emphasize that in their own preparation documents, they certainly should have. Even if you're not interested in earning their merit badge, you won't be getting nearly as much from the event as you could without a sling.

I hope you gear up and give it another try at some point.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Thanks, one and all. I haven't decided for sure whether I'll do another, but I won't rule it out. I've already been working on my diet and losing some weight, so if I have some success with that and get the proper gear, I'll be much better off if I should try again.

zukiphile

(I'm almost 50 and overweight.)

I'm a little older and about 40 pounds heavier than unrealistic docs want me to be. I haven't done Appleseed, but intermittently practice three position rifle shooting.

Aside from general fitness, there is the issue that a fellow like me who spends the bulk of his day sitting and talking on the telephone or hunched over paper at his desk experiences a rather small spectrum of movement. It leaves me relatively disabled in trivial ways. I make that old man sound when I sit now.

I sort of hate prone. By the time I get down on the ground and slung into position, I'm breathing so hard that it isn't as effective as may have been 30 years ago. Sitting, my natural position, works better and takes less practice.

I mostly have practiced standing. My reasoning was that this is my worst position, and I can practice it anywhere. Unfortunately, it has left me a but stiff to make prone very practical.

The point of the above -- you aren't the only one in this boat.

Last edited:

TheGunGeek

I finished my 2nd Appleseed last month. I'm scoring consistently in the Sharpshooter range, and I missed the Rifleman score by 1 shot twice during the qualifications in the last event. The rifle and personal prep FAQ's are here:
https://appleseedinfo.org/how-to-prepare/

They have printable checklists which make it easy to follow and pack. For both ranges I attended, we were on covered concrete, not gravel. I wouldn't want to be on gravel all day even with the high end shooting mat.

The one other recommendation I will add is one should definitely have elbow and knee pads, as this make a huge difference. On my first event I didn't, and my support elbow was bloody at the end. I only did one day that time. I also wasn't as fit as thought, and increased my workout routine before attending the second one. The second event was great, I wasn't as sore, was better prepared, and I attended both days.

There were quite a few kids at both of the events I attended, and I'd like to get my niece & nephew into this once they're a bit older. I think this is an excellent event every kid should attend.

Don't give up Spats, get the gear together and practice, and I'm sure you'll like the next one. I would choose a different location though, and look on-line to check the facilities of the range first.

TheGunGeek

Aside from general fitness, there is the issue that a fellow like me who spends the bulk of his day sitting and talking on the telephone or hunched over paper at his desk experiences a rather small spectrum of movement. It leaves me relatively disabled in trivial ways. I make that old man sound when I sit now.

I hear you. I went from a job where I had an office, but also spent a lot of time running around and climbing stairs, to a straight desk job. I compensated by purchasing exercise equipment for the house, and I work out 6 days a week after work while catching up on the news. If I had room for a bike or treadmill in the office, it would be there also. If I don't work out I don't feel right.

MrBorland

I compensated by purchasing exercise equipment for the house, and I work out 6 days a week after work while catching up on the news.

+1.

There are opportunities to get some activity in your day if you look for them. That "old man sound" is your body's ways of telling you to move and get some of that weight off.

Rob228

Self motivation can be the biggest challenge to getting fit. Today's smartwatches and fitness trackers do a ton for showing you what you are currently doing and what you can do better. Plus, if you shell out the $ for one, you'll feel obligated to take more steps in a day.

I bought a Garmin Fenix 5 (upgraded to my old Tactix 2B) mostly for the GPS function, but its fitness software has definitely made me step up my game.

When I was 10 or so my parents put me in Karate with an old Okinawan guy (I was living in upstate NY at the time, its just a fortunate coincidence that I'm on my second Okinawa tour, though I no longer do any martial arts). One of the lessons that he drilled into his students repeatedly was that "Self defense is a lifestyle. Self defense is waking up at a reasonable hour and eating healthy. Self defense is exercising. Self defense is taking care of yourself daily" Even if you have no interest in self defense, the same can be applied to any style of marksmanship. Especially when it comes to position shooting. The only reason I can pull off 241 out of 250 on the USMC rifle qual is because I am flexible enough to sit on top of my foot in the kneeling.