Apparently Winchester is getting in on the .22 defense ammo

Electrod47

.22 ammo being marketed for defense? All .22 ammo could be called that, yet when you put the label on the box w/ defense wording, well, its just a word.

jonnyc

I am confident that a face-full of 40 gr. HV RN bullets would work just fine in a short-range situation.

101combatvet

Winchester Silvertip .22 LR, a 37 grain segmenting hollow point designed specifically for short barrels. Compared to the solid bullet used in Federal Punch, I think this segmenting bullet may be a good idea considering the Lucky Gunner tests showed that the core of segmenting .22 ammo penetrates well in gel, but given it's Winchester I expect to hear 'click' more than with any other brand.

160110.jpg

IDK, what do you guys think of segmenting .22 LR for self defense? If there was any .22 LR ammo that would specifically be made for handguns for self defense, what would you want?

For me, I'd like to see a version of the 60 grain Aguila SSS made specifically for handguns and the shape of the bullet nose changed to a similiar shape as Remington Yellow Jacket.
Depends on the pistol type. A revolver using a hollow point will rarely fail; autos are questionable. What would I want? Barrel length, for me, would determine the grain and velocity.