Apparently Winchester is getting in on the .22 defense ammo

TruthTellers

Winchester Silvertip .22 LR, a 37 grain segmenting hollow point designed specifically for short barrels. Compared to the solid bullet used in Federal Punch, I think this segmenting bullet may be a good idea considering the Lucky Gunner tests showed that the core of segmenting .22 ammo penetrates well in gel, but given it's Winchester I expect to hear 'click' more than with any other brand.

160110.jpg

IDK, what do you guys think of segmenting .22 LR for self defense? If there was any .22 LR ammo that would specifically be made for handguns for self defense, what would you want?

For me, I'd like to see a version of the 60 grain Aguila SSS made specifically for handguns and the shape of the bullet nose changed to a similiar shape as Remington Yellow Jacket.

jetinteriorguy

If I were to use a .22RF for defense it would be a solid lead bullet, preferably at the highest velocity I could get. Now that being said, I’m not talking about shooting it from a pistol, I’m talking from a rifle.

CDW4ME

That's nice to know, but doesn't really answer my question. If you had to use a .22 would a segmenting bullet be your choice or no?

If I had to use 22 for SD I would not use a segmenting bullet.
Looks to me like many 22 bullets fail to make 12'' penetration and that is without any expansion:
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the-best-22lr-and-22-magnum-ammo-for-concealed-carry/

Unless someone is frail, very recoil sensitive, or somehow physically limited (which I'm not) I can't see intentionally selecting 22 for carry, so "had to" is appropriate.

12'' penetration and consistent expansion is my preference and several 9mm bullets achieve that criteria.

JohnKSa

Administrator
12'' penetration and consistent expansion is my preference and several 9mm bullets achieve that criteria.
Found a test in which the "main" fragment in the OP loading penetrated over 12" in a straight line. In addition there were 3 "auxiliary" segments that angled off from the main track.

I have to say that I much prefer this approach to segmentation as opposed to the Quik-Shok in which there was no straight-line penetrator.

For people who do decide to use .22LR for SD, they could definitely do worse than this load.

TruthTellers

IDK who expects to get expansion with .22 LR from a handgun. If I were to carry .22 I would want two things:

1. As reliable as possible
2. decent penetration

Penetration doesn't mean jack if you can't get the round to fire, something Winchester has a bit of a problem with.

cslinger

Honestly I don’t think any .22 is going to give you any kind of ballistic defensive chops barring a very small / lucky specific hit zone.

That said I do however think it can provide a psychological stop as who wants to get shot? So hits are likely to incapacitate or drive off an attacker in many cases not to mention having a hale of easily shootable accurate fire coming at you may very well make most folks forget about the iron they left on and run them home to check on it right quick.

So all that said I think you would want the most reliably igniting .22 that has the deepest penetration fired out of a platform that can place them fast and accurate. I don’t think segmenting/hp etc. etc. would enter into my thought process.

That said I am also in the camp that it would have to be dire straights for me to rely on anything less then 9mm/.38/Maaaaayyyybbbbeee .380 but even .380 I would need a super pressing reason

reddog81

IDK who expects to get expansion with .22 LR from a handgun. If I were to carry .22 I would want two things:

1. As reliable as possible
2. decent penetration

Penetration doesn't mean jack if you can't get the round to fire, something Winchester has a bit of a problem with.

Agreed. If forced to decide on .22 ammo for SD I'd go with CCI mini-mag and call it good.

imp

I don't consider .22lr to be enough for raccoon or large groundhogs.

If forced to use it for SD, my thought would be to use the fastest solid point bullet available, and aim for the forehead.

TunnelRat

I don't consider .22lr to be enough for raccoon or large groundhogs.

If forced to use it for SD, my thought would be to use the fastest solid point bullet available, and aim for the forehead.

Aim for the nose and eyes. The skull is very dense at the forehead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarryLee

The great expert of ballistics Joe Biden said, "The .22 caliber bullet will lodge in the lungs and we can get it out. A 9 mm bullet blows the lung out of the body. The idea of a high caliber weapon, there is no rationale for it in terms of self-protection, hunting." - 5/30/2022.

So, there you have it...

reynolds357

Winchester Silvertip .22 LR, a 37 grain segmenting hollow point designed specifically for short barrels. Compared to the solid bullet used in Federal Punch, I think this segmenting bullet may be a good idea considering the Lucky Gunner tests showed that the core of segmenting .22 ammo penetrates well in gel, but given it's Winchester I expect to hear 'click' more than with any other brand.

160110.jpg

IDK, what do you guys think of segmenting .22 LR for self defense? If there was any .22 LR ammo that would specifically be made for handguns for self defense, what would you want?

For me, I'd like to see a version of the 60 grain Aguila SSS made specifically for handguns and the shape of the bullet nose changed to a similiar shape as Remington Yellow Jacket.
I guess .22 is better than nothing, but not a lot better. Self defense is about stopping. A .22 will kill, but I don't see it reliably stopping someone in time to do you any good.

kenny53

The 22 may not be the best choice but I believe it is under rated. I usually end my range time with my Ruger MKII, shooting a target about 4 yards as fast as I can. I put all 10 rounds in what would be center mass, with a fist size grouping. I have to believe that is good enough for social work. That being said my carry is a 9mm or a 45acp.

Armybrat

A short barrel .22 like a North American Mini is suitable as a last resort “get off me” backup gun when applied to an assailant’s ear.