Apathy and No Guns Signs

You walk up to a business, and there's a "No Guns" sign on the door - what do you do?

• I disarm before entering.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I do not enter or spend money there.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I do not enter or spend money there, and I contact management and explain why.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I spend money there, but I talk to management.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I carry anyway - concealed is concealed.

Votes: 49 43.0%

• Total voters

Bogie

Just wondering about what percentage of our folks here are supporting business who don't want our dirty gun owner money.

When you see a sign, legal or not, that says that a business does not want armed citizens to pass its doors, what do you do?

=========
I'm sort of wondering how the population of this forum feels...

toybox99615

just depends

given the number of different things that a store owner can do to loose my business I'd say the no guns type signs would not make me any unhappier than any of the other things they can do.

FireMax

In my state, a business can post a no-firearms sign. If you conceal carry inside the business anyway and if they find you with a concealed weapon, they can ask you to leave. If you do not leave, they can call the cops and the cops will ask you to leave. You are only breaking the law if you do not leave after the cops ask you to.

It is the right of businesses to express their "wish" by posting the sign. It is my right to conceal carry. So, I carry anyway into the establishment since I am not breaking the law.

wjkuleck

...what do you do?

By and large, I find an alternative. My physician, who is a collector & shooter, was careful to ensure that the "co-op" of which he is a part put up a non-compliant (per state law) sign, mollifying the hoplophobes and giving him, me and others legal cover. I changed copy shops when the sign went up.

Heck, I had just bought two new cars from a Honda dealer within a year; when the sign went up and the sales manager got snotty* about it, I took my business to a more enlightened Honda dealer to purchase a new Pilot. Needless to say, the posted dealer will never sell a car to me or get a dime of my PM or service work.

On the other hand, my wife's haircutter's buiding owner posted the building. I'm not going to ask her to terminate a long-standing relationship. After all, he has no influence over the posting. So the answer is, "It depends." But the decision to continue to patronize a posted business is a rare exception.

Regards,

Walt
*"Why are you posted?"
"We have a lot of money here."
"More money than XXXX, my personal bank, or YYYY, my commercial bank? I don't think so. and they are not posted. Neither is my supermarket, or any of the three drugstores I patronize, nor any number of other establishments where I trade."
"Well, said you wouldn't spend your money where the sign made you feel unwelcome; why are you here?"
—and gone was I, yes.

RedneckFur

I see lots of buisnesses that say "no concealed weapons". I cary a pocket knife everwhere I go. I dont disarm unless I see a metal detector and security guard.

Garand Illusion

Why do other states have so many signs? In Colorado I only see signs at the hospitals. Of course, it's not like I spend a lot of time looking for them, but I always do take a quick glance around to make sure I'm not violating the law.

starshooter231

I do not enter or spend money there, and I contact management and explain why.

In addition to management I also inform EVERY shooter that I know about the sign and encourage them to contact management about the sign.

OnTheFly

That's a tricky question...what if they are the only game in town. Most businesses such as gas stations will have plenty of competition that I can go to, but the one that comes to mind is the local movie theaters. They are all owned by the same company, and it's kind of hard to explain to the kids why they can't go to any more movies.

However, if I felt we lived in a more dangerous city (crime rate is quite low here compared to many other places), then I would consider not patronizing the establishment because I wouldn't be able to protect my family. I still contacted the theater company, but to no avail. Here is my letter to them.

Fly

FireMax

Why do other states have so many signs? In Colorado I only see signs at the hospitals. Of course, it's not like I spend a lot of time looking for them, but I always do take a quick glance around to make sure I'm not violating the law.

Depends on the state. In Georgia and Florida, I have only seen them at amusement parks and 1 or 2 movie theaters. I have never seen one at a hospital, though I don't go to many hospitals.

FireMax

wjkulek
My physician, who is a collector & shooter, was careful to ensure that the "co-op" of which he is a part put up a non-compliant (per state law) sign, mollifying the hoplophobes and giving him, me and others legal cover.

That was cool of him to do that.

IncendiumX

In Colorado I only see signs at the hospitals.

We're still a backwater hillbilly state :D I think the only places that hav ethem are Hospitals and government buildings, though i may be wrong.

Bogie

I don't mind signs that say things like "Illegally Concealed" and such. I hate it when they go out of their way to say things like "even with a concealed carry permit."

I do not support the enemy.

Bogie

Okay. You guys have persuaded me. If over 50% of you guys think that spending money with people who don't want you as customers is just fine, then I must have been mistaken all these years.

My money hasn't been going, even indirectly, if I could help it, to anti-gun organizations.

But now it looks like I've been remiss, and now I have some catching up to do.

Should I make the check out to the Brady Campaign or to the Center to Prevent Handgun Violence?

I suddenly feel like watching a Michael Moore documentary - what do you folks recommend?

JB Books

Ask Michael Moore to do a documentary on you sending a check to the Brady Campaign and working for the Center to Prevent Handgun Violence?

Dmanbass

OnTheFly,

Very well written letter. Thanks for linking it. If they were thinking people it Should really make them think! :cool:

I worry about the drones that just "follow corporate policy". That is scary to me.

I voted for disarm before entering. That is only for places that there is no alternative. Doctors, hospitals, fairs, banquet halls...but if it were a gas station or movie theatre I would just leave and go somewhere else.

RedneckFur

Pick your battles. Would your time be beter spent arguing with a McDonalds manager about why you will not buy a quarter-pounder from him, or would it be better spent writing a well-thought letter to your representatives or congressman?