Anyone who is interested in the PSA StG44?

OP: No. A club friend has a 5th GEN. "AKM" by PSA, which he bought nib / new-in-box.

He only had to:
1) replace the malfunctioning "oem" firing pin to ignite primers.

2) and modify the mag catch for reliable feeding.

For what it might be worth.:)

He's a technician on the Fedex widebody MD-11 jets and doesn't mind correcting malfunctioning parts in guns.

I don't like such inconveniences, simply to save money via the lower-priced clones. That's why I bought a Czech Small Arms/ Czechpoint VZ-58 (rifle) instead of a Century VZ-2008.

Maybe my friend's troubles with his PSA rifle are rare anomalies (5th Gen.), but I hope that their Stg-44 rifles have very few issues.

They won't receive my money.

Last edited:

Screwball

Maybe my friend's troubles with his PSA rifle are rare anomalies (5th Gen.), but I hope that their Stg-44 rifles have very few issues.

They won't receive my money.

They have got better over the years… but if you do have a problem with one of their guns, you let them know and they fix it.

Their representative on AR15.com will make sure it gets done, which is why the time I had a problem (canted front sight post) I brought it up there.

jetinteriorguy

I’ve only ever had one occasion to use PSA’s warranty. My AR-10 in 6.5CM had some machining marks in the chamber that left marks on my brass. They emailed me a return label immediately and I sent it back. As is it was a dependable 1 MOA shooter and functioned good. I received it back about a week and a half later. I had discreetly marked the barrel to see if it would be replaced, it wasn’t. They basically polished most of the machining marks out, initially I was pretty disappointed. But I gave it a try and my brass no longer showed these marks and it still shot as good as before so in the end I’m satisfied. Now granted, 1 MOA isn’t super good but it maintains this accuracy with very little shift in POI even under fairly rapid firing so I’m more than happy with it.

CBDsutty

This is good to know. I find myself inspecting my purchase with a fine tooth comb (a visual comb) and wondering about every little rattle, jiggle, or possible issue. But once one fires it can you still get them to fix it?
I need to go read the return and repair policy on PSA.

44 AMP

Staff
For some things, I am a purist (or traditionalist, if you prefer), but for other things, I'm not.

I happily put rubber grips on my Ruger SA's and scopes on my Marlins.

I would not put aftermarket add on's (rails, optics, can opener, etc) on historical firearms, or reproductions of them (as close as US law allows), to me, that's just nekulturny... :D

If, for you, the attraction of milsup firearms is cheap ammo, you're at the very tail end of an era. Other than the Russian/Soviet rounds, and current US/Nato calibers, the era of cheap milsurp ammo is over, and its nearly over for the rounds still in use.

For me, its the attraction of a piece of history and when there was cheap ammo, that was a plus but not the main point, for me.

$2k is steep, (too much for me in my current situation) but as rare & high end gun prices go these days, its not all that much.

People happily pay that much and more for a tricked out "custom" semi auto pistol. That much for a decent reproduction of a fairly rare rifle which played a small, but significant role in history isn't all that much. For a blaster range toy, yes, tons of stuff much cheaper. Decide what its worth to you, as we all will.

RC20

Its an interesting question and after a bit of thought, if I was nuts enough to do it, I would go with 6.5 x 47.

An 8mm Kurz is an odd entity in that its an intermediate length cartridge in a larger than 30 caliber bullet.

The Stg-44 was truly a unique concept at the time, both in mfg (stamped) as well as the case length and the bridging of two worlds of Machine Guns (machine pistols) and the combat rifle.

Happy end result was the limited though still significant production and the amazing fact we are back to 7.62 NATO (the M-7 x 6.8 round) after all this time.