Anyone who is interested in the PSA StG44?

Shadow9mm

Id just go 223 so i dont need a new cartridge. But in all honesty i doubt ill buy one. Way too much money to spend on a novelty item.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
To me, the point of owning a historical replica firearm is to get it as close to original as legally possible. So, for me it would have to be in 8mm Kurz.

PSA is covering all bases with other popular cartridges for people who just want the original look but the practicality of a different round.

Though I think a rail, optics and a "Can" spoils the historical look.

IF the gun is select fire it cannot be sold to regular US citizens who are not licensed machine gun dealers. The smart money would be to make it as a semi auto for general sale, in those states that still allow freedom of choice when it comes to fireams.

The Stg 44 is the original assault rifle, Hitler named it as such, and its defining features are the ones used in the definition of assault rifle (and not the definitions created by US politicians calling them "assault weapons")

If I had the disposable income I would be interested in one (looks like its going to be over $2k when/if they show up), sadly, thanks to too many underinformed people, the magazines are no longer legal to purchase in my state...

stagpanther

I'd be curious how much of it PSA actually makes. If it's anything like their AK's I'd wait a least a couple of years for the kinks to be worked out--which PSA's homegrown products are prone to have. The caliber swap out is kinda neat.

jetinteriorguy

I’d really love one of these. I’ve studied WW II since I was 18, that’s 50 years ago. One of my other hobbies is building 1/35 scale WW II dioramas. For me it would have to be in 8mm KURZ, the real deal. But, if it’s over $2000.00 I’ll probably have to pass. Now if they come out with a PPSH in 9mm for around a grand I’d probably jump on that.

Moon Falcon

Id just go 223 so i dont need a new cartridge.

I think that the 7.92x33 could be viable if they could push the cartridge to 7.62x39 performance.

7.62x51 is probably too much power for the spot welded construction to handle, similar to how the MP5 slowly disintegrates due to the recoil from the 10mm Auto round.

Last edited:

stagpanther

I think that the 7.92x33 could be viable if they could push the cartridge to 7.62x39 performance.

7.62x51 is probably too much power for the spot welded construction to handle, similar to how the MP5 slowly disintegrates due to the recoil from the 10mm Auto round.
You could chamber it in 475 Ubershplatten!

44 AMP

Staff
7.62x51 is probably too much power for the spot welded construction to handle,..

I think the power of the 7.62x51 is rather irrelevant, considering it is too long for the action.

The entire point of the Stg44 and the cartridge was to create a viable battlefield weapon without the full power of the 8x57mm round.

If you want a WWII semi auto with the power of the 7.62x51mm, there is one, its called the M1 Garand (or a Johnson, if you can find one)...IF Soviet is your thing, then its the SVT-40. Germany fielded the G43 in 8x57mm as well.

veprdude

Part of the appeal of a surplus or older weapon is inexpensive ammo to blast. This will not have that. And if you chamber it in some more affordable caliber, you lose appeal of originality. Lose-Lose.

FrankenMauser

You're forgetting about the motivational force for the target audience, the video game crowd:
Having the gun and being able to LARP.

They don't care if the cartridge is correct, or if their "Stg.44" is weighed down by 25 pounds of modern sights and lights and doodads. They just want it to look cool and go bang when the trigger is pulled - preferably without much recoil.

armoredman

Considering I was on a firearm collectors forum briefly yesterday, and saw where a gent had added a picatinny rail to my GSG MP-40 9mm look-alike, so he could mount a red dot, I think there is enough people who really don't care if it is 100% correct.

Willie Lowman

I'm casting my vote for NO. Not interested. 8mm Kurtz doesn't do anything 300 black doesn't do better.

I don't care that they are supposed to be available in different calibers.

For 2 grand I can get a much better rifle and an optic.

ballardw

Since I can't find this version of the STG-44 on the PSA website I am going to treat it as vaporware.
The 4 results on the PSA website that actually relate to an STG-44 are all for .22LR versions, one picatinny rail, magazine and GSG and Blue Line Solutions rifles (out of stock).

zaitcev

This is literally the H&MG StG-44. PSA only bankrolls the project. In fact, PSA promised to supply guns to the customers who put the money down with H&MG years ago.

Personally I'm not into the obsolete guns (much). But I think it's a great project, for those who like this kind of thing.

BTW, I bought the CETME-L kit from H&MG. They held onto my money for a year while they worked to arrange the contractor for barrels. Eventually I managed to get them ship me the kit without the barrel with a partial refund, and I bought the barrel from Sarco. I was generally satisfied with what I got, but I sort of suspect that these practices caught up with them. It's one thing to screw around when there's no problem, but making a whole gun was a very serious undertaking. Hopefully PSA will straighten them up.

FrankenMauser

zaitcev has it.
This is not a PSA-produced product. It is the Hill & Mac Stg.44.
They were sued by multiple parties and had to stop work and production on the project. They finally (justifiably) won. But in the end, they were too short on cash to continue, and PSA came into the picture to get the stamping presses rolling again.

It is not vaporware. I think PSA is building up stock so they actually have something to sell when it is officially available for sale. They've learned that lesson in the past: Don't sell something that has a 6 month production lead time. Customers get angry.