Anyone useing 2230 for .223 loads?

DBAR

I know there are better powders out there, but this is the only affordable powder availabe in my area. I was wanting to hear from some of you about the kind of results you've had with 2230 combined with 62gn, and 69gn projectiles. I don't have access to a chronograph, nor do I have the money to go buy one anytime soon. I've got a couple of pounds of this powder, and I've got 500 62gn bullets, and 120 or so of some 69gn Sierra HPBTs.

I know I can't compare your performance to what my AR15 will produce, but it should give me an idea. I put together my AR with a 16" SS barrel from White Oaks Armament, and it's proven very accurate. I've gotten 6" to 8" groups out at 600 yds with Military 62gn M855 ammunition. Is there a source on the interenet that would provide me with some data to get an idea of what my loads are doing with my set up?

Thanks,
DBAR

David Wile

Hey Dbar,

There's nothing wrong with 2230 powder and the .223 cartridge. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember that 2230 was originally advertised as being intended for the .223. I use 2230 for .223 and find it works well.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

flashhole

I can't add anything but I want to camp onto this thread. According to Accurate Arms the powder was developed specifically for the 223, thus its name 2230. That powder is usually available when others aren't and I have been wondering the same thing as DBAR. I like 4895 for the 223 and have good luck with both IMR and Hodgdon brands but they are not always available so knowing about a good alternative is helpful. I have also had good success with Reloader 10X, BL-C(2), and Varget in my 223 but mine is a bolt gun, not an AR.

DBAR

I have the loading data from their web site. I was just wondering what kind of results you guys have had. It may aid me in my load development. I know no 2 rifles will have the same results, but at least I'll have an idea of where to look. Just trying to get a head start, that's all.

DB

DBAR

Hey Dbar,

There's nothing wrong with 2230 powder and the .223 cartridge. I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember that 2230 was originally advertised as being intended for the .223. I use 2230 for .223 and find it works well.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

I'm just trying to get an idea here. I know I have to work up my own loads, but I was just wondering what kind of loads you've delveloped, and what kind of chronograph results your getting through how long of a barrel? If you have that kind of data, I'd really appreciate it if you could share it with me. That would give me a little insight as to how my loads might perform. I'm just a poor guy without a chronograph trying to figure this stuff out. I'll pick up a chronograph someday, as soon as business turns around. That may be a while under the current administration....:rolleyes:

I know that I'm just guessing as to what kind of performance I'm getting, but if I have a little information, I might be able to make an semi educated guess.

Thank you,
DBAR

flashhole

That's why I camped on to this thread. I don't really care what the chrony says. I will always give up a few fps for accuracy. I want to know how it behaves.

flashhole

Lavid - we need to work on your commincation skills - :) You need to be more verbose. Pretend you are my mother-in-law and just start spewing words without any specific message. Give us something to work with here.

What can you share with us about how the powder performs with differnet bullets? What gun do you load for, bolt, AR, ... other?

Lilswede1

Works for me

I have been using 26 gr. of 2230 with a 50gr. Blitzking and have brought group size from 1 1/2" to 1/4" at 100 yds in the CZ .223.
Used it in Montana critter shooting last year and very pleased with results.

David Wile

Hey Dbar,

Sorry, but I am down in Florida for the month of November and have no load information with me. In any case, I am probably not the person to be asking if you want velocity info - I have never owned a chronograph. I have always been more interested in trying to get the smallest sized group rather than how fast I can push a bullet.

At my age I am afraid my smallest groupings are fast falling way behind me. I just don't see well enough any more. I don't understand that exactly, because my dad was perhaps ten years older than I am now, and he could shoot better then than I can now. I must have inherited my mother's eyes.

The only .223 rifle I have is a Colt AR-15 HBAR with a 20 inch heavy target barrel. Like I said, I don't have any of my reloading notes with me, but I do know that the 2230 powder seemed to work well for me for quite a few years now.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Winterhawk56

I have a Thompson Center Contender with a 14" barrel and use AA2230 all the time! Its a great powder and provides great accuracy with the Sierra 45 Grn and most all Hornady .223 rounds.

I also use BL-C2

Alleykat

I've used a lot of H335, which burns at about the same rate as 2230. Best group I ever shot with my original Bushy shorty was with 335 and Berger bullets. Still don't see how any of this "personal experience" information is going to help the OP much. Nothing beats working up your own loads for the particular rifle you're shooting. The load books give you as much usable information as any of us could possibly provide. ;)

rc

2230 proved to be the most accurate powder in my Ruger hawkeye bolt and produced some of the fastest velocities also. Winchester primers seemed wo produce really small groups where two or three out of five were touching. Groups under 1" were comon at 100 yards.

DBAR

Thanks David Wile. I appreciate your taking the time to reply. I hope you have a safe trip back home.

Still don't see how any of this "personal experience" information is going to help the OP much. Nothing beats working up your own loads for the particular rifle you're shooting. The load books give you as much usable information as any of us could possibly provide.

It's called a discussion. We discuss our experiences so that others may sometimes benefit from them. You never know if something that you figured out might save someone else some time, or money. "Load Books" have a lot of information. The information on the .223 is usually based on 20 or 24" barrels in the books I own, and read. I don't own a 20 or 24" barrel. So I thought I'd share a little information about what I'm working with. I thought that some of you might have some helpful tips based on the results you've had. I guess I thought wrong.

I don't know why people in this thread are so reluctant to give up any of their findings. I know I have to develope my own load data, but rather than go through 50 or 100 rounds trying to get something worked out, it sure would be nice if some of you would share some of your findings. It just might help me save 20 or 70 rounds in developing my own load. Powder, bullet, and primer prices aren't getting any lower. Not to mention time. Some of us work for a living, and some of us put in over 60 hours a week. Some of us don't make much money, thanks to this wonderful economy.

I personally try to help others with my experiences on all of the gun forums I'm a member in. I have a lot of experience with all kinds of guns, and if I can help someone save a few dollars, or help someone fix a gun, then I'll tell them what I can. I can't tell you how many times I've helped someone, or how many times someone has helped me.

Not the case in this thread though. Either you don't understand what I was asking, or you just don't care to help out anyone? I don't know? Maybe you don't have any information?

Either way it's fine with me. There are plenty of other sources on the internet, and just so you know. I'll still continue to help out anyone in this forum, in anyway that I'm able.

DBAR

Last edited:

David Wile

Hey Dbar,

I certainly would not mind telling you exactly what charge of 2230 powder I use for my .223 load, but as I stated earlier, I am away from home for the month and do not have the information available to me. Also, I cannot give you any chrono information since I do not own one and never used one. After reading your #18 post, you have me wondering about the correct length of my .223 barrel.

I told you that I have a Colt AR-15 HBAR with a 20 inch heavy target barrel. Then I read your post about 20 and 24 inch barrels, and I now am wondering if my .223 is a 24 inch barrel. I know for sure that it is a heavy target barrel and is the same length as a standard GI M-16 rifle. It is not one of the short carbine barrels, and it is not one of the long specialty barrels. If you look at my rifle, it looks pretty much like a standard GI issue M-16. When you pick it up by the handle, instead of balancing like a standard M-16, the front end of my rifle goes down. Again, that is not because my barrel is longer; it is because my barrel is a much thicker and heavier target barrel. Now, is it 20 or 24 inches long? I think it is 20 inches, but you have now made me doubt my memory, and I would not want to bet that it is not 24 inches. Bad "old" memory.

As far as my exact 2230 powder charge, there is nothing secretive about it. It probably came out the Lyman or Hornady loading manual, and I can assure you that it is probably near the middle of their charge weight listings. I do not shoot any loads at the top of the listings.

Again, I am sorry I cannot give you my load data right now, but the truth is my load data would only consist of the 2230 charge weight, the weight and type of bullet I am using, and the target results I keep. Like I said, nothing about velocity. To tell the truth, I never used any load data from anyone else or the internet. When I started reloading, the closest thing we had to an internet was called a telephone, and I do not recall ever calling anyone on the telephone to ask for a powder charge weight. I talked to lots of folks about reloading practices and what powder or bullet they might prefer for a particular rifle or pistol, but I always went to my books for actual powder charge data.

In your #8 post, you indicated you were interested in chronograph results folk had through different length barrels and stated that you were "...just guessing as to what kind of performance I'm getting..." I know a lot of folks base their idea of "performance" on bullet velocity, and I am afraid that I was never interested in that. My idea of "performance" has always been based on how small a group I could get with five rounds of whatever caliber. That's why I never bought a chronograph.

There are lots of folks out there who, like you, are very interested in performance in terms of velocity and have copious notes on chronograph results. You will find them here on TFL or THR or the AR-15 forums, and there will be a lot of them who will have just the information you are seeking. Ask the question about chrono results, give them a little time, and they will respond.

While I never was a great marksman, I am sad to say that I have become an even lesser marksman as I have become older. My five shot groupings have been getting larger over the past 15 years, and I am afraid they will continue to do so. In spite of my eyes getting older and my groups getting larger, I continue to use group size as my measuring stick for performance.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

FrankenMauser

My dad used a couple pounds of 2230, trying to work up a load for his ARs. In the end, he went back to BLC-2 and Norma 201. He was not satisfied with the performance, and complained of inconsistency.

However, he absolutely loves it for his .223 Rem bolt gun.