Anyone reload the .25 ACP?

Nick_C_S

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing - except for the surgeon part :)

I have small, nimble hands; and 9mm is as small as I care to go.

Quote from Speer #14, regarding 25 Auto: "For whatever reason, people buy loading dies and bullet components for this cartridge, so we present load data for it." Amusing phrasing.

Hope taylorce1 gets the info he needs.

Last edited:

velocette

I reload .25 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) and I use 50 gr FMJ bullets.
I use them in a CZech copy of the Baby Browning made in 1944.
What do you need to know?

Snyper

I think it was Jeff Cooper who said (paraphrased):

"If it makes you feel safer to carry a .25, then by all means do so, but whatever you do , don't shoot anyone with it, because if they find out about it, they will get angry and may hurt you"

taylorce1

I don't really need to know anything. I went to an estate sale and bought a lot of reloading supplies. Anyway I wound up with a mystery box of bullets, I was hoping they were something I could use, didn't work out that way. By weight there should be 2000 bullets in that box, and since I don't need them I figured I'd ask who reloads this cartridge.

1414866868.jpg

Last edited:

TimSr

I reload mostly bast bullets for it, but do some jacketed as well, both 50gr.

1.3 gr Bullseye in mine. There is more primer power than powder power behind the bullets in those. I ran out of Bullseye, and was going to try Unique or Red Dot in my next batch.

I wonder how many (berettaprofessor raises hand) are tempted by that box to call Taylorce1 and start reloading 25ACP? Just for the challenge?

Sevens

Less than 2.0 grains of Red Dot or Unique?

You better have an expensive electronic powder dispenser or you'll be hand-weighing powder charges.

I can't imagine any other successful & repeatable method for charges THAT small with those two flake powders. If you can prove me wrong, please update! :)

larryh1108

I also use 1.3gr of Bullseye.
Single stage.
Weigh every charge.
Not that difficult but it is time consumming.
I have XL mitts and it's not that difficult. (size 14 ring finger)
I also find loading 9mm easy as well.
I also do .32ACP and actually enjoy it.

Sevens

When you compare the cost/price of .25 ACP and .32 ACP as sold in 50-rd boxes with what you can roll at the load bench:
I also do .32ACP and actually enjoy it.
EASY to see! :D Heckuva savings if you have occasion to shoot these rounds.

But chasing brass on these is not a fun activity I'll bet! :(

Bill DeShivs

Why is it that ANY TIME .25 ACP is mentioned that someone has to talk about how it won't hurt anyone? Those statements are ridiculous and very irresponsible. While it's not a particularly powerful cartridge, it has worked for well over 100 years. These statements are usually made by neophytes who have never even fired a .25! It's a neat little cartridge.
You don't use jacketed bullets in pellet rifles, either.

JERRYS.

Jeff Cooper dispensed many words of wisdom in his time, however his take on the .25acp was not one of them.

Sevens

Why is it that ANY TIME .25 ACP is mentioned that someone has to talk about how it won't hurt anyone?
W-H-Y ?!

C'mon. The .25 ACP flip-line is #153 on the grand list of gundood malarkey. You know the list of course. Some of the greatest hits include what the sound of a racking 12-ga pump shotgun will do, how a .45cal 230gr FMJ Hardball takes people off their feet, calibers that should start with a "four", judged by 12 before carried by six, nobody willing to stand in front of -MY- .22cal, answers to questions nobody asked...

I mean really. Throw a "zombie apocalypse" reference in there and we could sell posters at the next gun show next to the beef jerky and beanie-baby table.
And we'd sell a lot of those posters.

Oh, breaking news: .22LR ammo just now seems kind of hard to find! :eek::D:eek:

Snyper

Why is it that ANY TIME .25 ACP is mentioned that someone has to talk about how it won't hurt anyone?

Those statements are ridiculous and very irresponsible. While it's not a particularly powerful cartridge, it has worked for well over 100 years.

There are many cases of people being shot with a 25 who didn't realize they had been shot. I wouldn't call that working "well"

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422912

These statements are usually made by neophytes who have never even fired a .25! It's a neat little cartridge.

Or by those who face reality.

Just because you happen to "like it" doesn't make it a good choice for self defense

larryh1108

I seem to remember quite a few deaths from the Saturday Night Specials in the 60s and 70s. They must have changed how effective the round is since then, huh?