Anyone have guns that evoke emotional response?

Pahoo

Special rifle for very special lad

He's got more sense than me Be sure to build some memories with it.
As I said before, he has had bad thing happen to him and yet, his heart is not poisoned. On giving him this rifle, I told him that good things are coming his way. ..... :)

On his next birthday, I am going to present him with a very special rifle. It's a Marlin 39A that was purchased at the gun-shop in "Gitmo" bay, shortly after pull-back from the Cuban Missile Blockade. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

ghbucky

. It's a Marlin 39A that was purchased at the gun-shop in "Gitmo" bay, shortly after pull-back from the Cuban Missile Blockade

Thats amazing!

A lever .22 would be an absolute blast of a time to plink cans with!

TXAZ

I don’t own one, but every time I handle an M-2 it instantly brings me back to the Delta....
Similar on M2's. We were in Riyadh when OPM-SANG was attacked. We received a call to come help. A roadblock / kill zone was set up at the entrance. A young US soldier behind a barrier was on an M2 about 20 yards away, pointed right at me during the clearing / vehicle inspection. I swear that barrel seemed about 6" in diameter.... Major. Pucker. Factor. I later got to fire an M2. Much better experience behind it than in front of it. Don't want that attention again.

10-96

I have my great grandads' and my grandads' S&W .38-44 Heavy Duty that they each carried as a duty pistol. It's in pretty poor shape, but I still shoot it on occasion. I never met my great-grandpa, but I liked listening to old family cop stories. I'm 4th generation LE and it looks like I'm the last one in our string.

bamaranger

grandad's M88 Winchester

I've commented before on this old rifle, but will again. My grandad on my father's side purchased a Win M88 early in the production run, a four digit serial number that indicates 1956. Grandad was quite proud of that rifle, and it was without a doubt the nicest rifle he ever owned. I was born in 1958, and I have very early memories of Pap getting that rifle out, and propping it in the corner, pulling the chairs away from the dining room table, lighting a kerosene lantern (lights out in the house) and the two of us crawling under the table. We were at "deer camp". Grandad died in 1964, I was 6.

Grandpa wrote a specific letter for that rifle to pass to me upon his death, I have the note rolled up in the recess under the butt plate. My favorite uncle would have very much liked to have had the rifle, but he understood. Uncle Dick and I hunted together a bit, he would occasionally to handle the rifle and do so with a sort of reverence. There were a few years that went by after Pap's death that I was not old enough to hunt, and my Dad hunted and killed a few deer with the M88. When I was of age, and could handle it ( I actually hunted my first season with a Rem 14, .30 Rem!) I started carrying the M88. Killed my first 10 whitetails with that rifle. I take the M88 out occasionally these days, but only on "easy" hunts", the rifle is semi-retired. The last deer I killed with it was about 2015, and I gave the animal to a pal that was laid up during season after surgery.

The old rifle has been handled and hunted by 3 generations. I myself have hunted it in 4 states, taken deer in 3. It's seen a lot of sunrises and sunsets, and been pointed at a lot of deer. When I handle and hunt it, I see my Dad, Grandad and Uncle with the rifle in their hands, Woolrich suits, snow on the gound, maybe a thermos cup, maybe a deer on the pole.

Yeah, a bit emotional......don't tell anybody.

Mike38

I have a Remington model 511 Scoremaster .22 bolt action that was my Father's. His Father bought it for him new when he was 10 years old (if memory serves me). That would put that rifle at 75 years old this year. So now 5 generations have shot that rifle. My Grandfather, my Father, myself, my Son, my Grandson. It will go to my Grandson when my days are done. Hopefully it will make it to 6 generations, maybe more.

ghbucky

I never met my great-grandpa, but I liked listening to old family cop stories. I'm 4th generation LE and it looks like I'm the last one in our string.
4 generations... talk about family heirlooms. Are you sad that you are the last? The way things are going, I really can't imagine why anyone would enter LE.

Pap getting that rifle out, and propping it in the corner, pulling the chairs away from the dining room table, lighting a kerosene lantern (lights out in the house) and the two of us crawling under the table. We were at "deer camp".
That raised a smile. Thanks.

I have a Remington model 511 Scoremaster .22 bolt action that was my Father's. His Father bought it for him new when he was 10 years old (if memory serves me). That would put that rifle at 75 years old this year. So now 5 generations have shot that rifle. My Grandfather, my Father, myself, my Son, my Grandson. It will go to my Grandson when my days are done. Hopefully it will make it to 6 generations, maybe more.
It is well worth noting that any gun that survives that many young ones handling it demonstrates a laudable legacy of proper gun handling in your family.

Mike38

It is well worth noting that any gun that survives that many young ones handling it demonstrates a laudable legacy of proper gun handling in your family.

Thanks. The bore on this rifle probably looks every bit as good as the day it was made. The outside, not so much. It's more brown then it is blue. I wipe it down every 3 or 4 months with oil to keep it from getting pitted. Clean it after every range session, but range sessions are only once or twice a year now. But it shoots surprisingly accurate for a 75 year old rifle. With decent mid-grade ammo, $7 to $10 a box, it will print 5 shot groups where all holes touch at 25 yards with the iron sights. I wish there was a way to mount a scope on it without drilling and tapping. I'd bet with a scope it could shoot touching groups at 50 yards.

44caliberkid

My Coonan 357 Magnum pistol, no heart touching family stories, it's just effing cool and a blast to shoot. Desert Eagle 44 Magnum is a close second. Both just thrill me to hold in the hand.

CleanDean

My S&W mod. 67 a.38 spl. In stainless . My first handgun , purchased with my own money.
Others before were gifted from Grandad or my own Father. ☆That .38 also protected me and my Tavern's money for 14 years.☆
S&W mod. 29 a .44 mag. With nickeled finish. 8 inch Bbl. As the first revolver with which I shot a deer.
My Colt Gold Cup , & with that auto , I won a few centerfire shoots at the Sportsman's Club.
When I first got it , I showed off my 1st handloaded shot to a friend who prompted me to buy the .45.
When I aimed and shot a 20 yd. Target... I nailed the X ring. Dead center bullseye.
All are keepers. Not museum pieces, but are my own small treasures.

10-96

Are you sad that you are the last? The way things are going, I really can't imagine why anyone would enter LE.
Up until a year or so ago, yeah, I was kind of sad that I'm the last in that string. But now? Not at all, and I'm glad I'm seeing a retirement light at the end of the tunnel. When I got into this line of work, it was for all the right reasons- assist, protect, and defend. Not once have I ever mis-used my position, taken a bribe, fluffed evidence, wronged anyone because of their race, orientation, social status, or where they came from. For 27 years now, I've fought the good fight, been honest, tried to be a role model, help those who can't help themselves... all for what? To be hated, hunted, lied on, vilified and de-humanized. And to put a cherry on top- even my family are targets now only because of what I do for a living.

ghbucky

To be hated, hunted, lied on, vilified and de-humanized. And to put a cherry on top- even my family are targets now only because of what I do for a living.

Is that happening in TX? Your profile says you are in the panhandle. I'm surprised that kind of stuff is going on there.

Well, for what its worth, here in Northern KY, we aren't having that kind of stupidity. The LE is our neighbors, not our enemy.

OneFreeTexan

Not me, but one of the young ladies I am teaching to shoot. She has two ‘emotional’ guns. One is an old Savage 22 rifle, made for Sears. This rifle is even older than I am..She loves to shoot it, every week, 150 shots. And she is good...trying for 50 straight hits on a swinger target. I told her once that when I am too old I’ll give it to her....Now. Every Saturday when she comes to shoot, the first thing she says is “Are you too old yet?” With a chuckle.

And she loves to shoot my Ruger P90. 45. She is good with it, though she gets her shot lined up and as she pulls the trigger, her eyes close. I tell her to keep her eyes open all the time, she just says “no’”...and the funny thing is she hits her target.. But somehow, after a couple mags thru the 45 she has the darnest case of giggles, she has to stop shooting. She says she doesn’t need to hit the bad guy, the. Big bullet will just scare him to death.

vito

My grandfather was an artilleryman in the Czarist army and fought the Japanese in the Russo-Japanese war in 1906. The revolver that he carried stayed with him when he came to this country with my father as a newborn baby in my grandmother's arms. My grandfather passed in 1955 when I was 12, and my Dad treasured that old revolver as one of the few keepsakes from his father. When my Dad died in 1975, my virulently anti gun mother disposed of his few guns, including that old revolver within a day of my Dad's funeral and would not even tell me what she did with the guns. Years later she said she regretted selling that old gun for almost nothing to a pawnshop and wished she had given it to me as she knew I wanted it. So for me, no old heirlooms or guns with value.

But in 1986, not so long ago, I lost my one and only gun at the time in a house burglary. I went out the next day and bought a S&W Model 19, 4 inch, nickel with wood grips that I rarely fire but still think of as the ideal of what a handgun should be. That gun is promised to my youngest son. The rest of my guns can be sold after I'm gone and the thought doesn't bother me a bit, but I want that son to get the 19.

triplebike

When I was a very young stupid 14 yr old kid,(now 70) I found a revolver and a bag of bullets hidden in my dads bedroom. Took it into the woods nearby our house and shot it. When my dad found out he was quite pissed to say the least. Nothing was said about that handgun for many years. One day I brought up the incident about the gun and we got to talking about it. My dad told me it belonged to a member of "The BLACK HAND". Every marking on the gun was polished off. My dad grew up in Brooklyn,NY early 1900's. He used to tell me about the early beginnings of the Mafia. He also told me about Murder INC and how it was the most feared gang in New York. Anyway the gun was a H&R Harrington & Richardson 32 S&W Nickel Double Action made in the late 1800's. After he passed my older brother found it hidden inside an old bedroom dresser and gave it to me. This thread brought back some fond memories and I'm actually holding it in my hand as I'm posting this. I'm really amazed on how good of condition it's in, but as I said all info has been polished off.

Tony Z

Last several posts I can relate to: I have a nickel plated Model 19, forty years young & my favorite.

I got stories about the Black Hand also, and after my grandfather passed, I got a H&R 38 S&W tip up revolver, plus a shortened shotgun (lost both in a boating accident).