Anyone have any info on the remington nylon .22's?

Remmy

I recently found my dads old nylon 66 in the house, i cleaned it up really good, taking everything apart that i could. Then took her out to shoot some...seems like a nice little gun, but i can hardly find any info on them on the net. I know that about 1,050,350 were made from the remington web page...

Just wondering if anyone has any info about these guns, or if you have one and like it or not...

Im thinking of putting a leupold scope on the thing, i have lying around the house somewhere.

Thanks,

Jesse

BTW, i plan on putting a silencer on this gun too...i ordered a book a week or so ago... http://store.yahoo.com/spytechagency/12120.html seemed like the best one for small caliber guns to me.

Anyone w/ any experience on silencers is welcome to mention anything...
:)

Huntersix

Remmy,
A friend of mine had a nylon66 and it was a sweet little gun but needed to be kept clean. I put a scope on it for him but had to cut the rear sight off, I would recommend just using it as is . DO NOT make a silencer or put one on it, Major GCA violation. The BAT men ninjas will be at your door unless you get it approved by ATF and local LE, its either considered Class 2 or 3 I can't remember.

MK11

Does anyone know where you can find replacement magazines for the Nylon 66? I've obtained one that was left loaded in an attic for years and years and the springs have completely failed.

Clemson

The Nylon 66 was my first rifle, a lot longer ago than I want to remember. I won it at a turkey shoot.

The rifle was reliable, and that was the very best thing I could say about it. It was definitely NOT accurate by the standards of the day. It was also too light to shoot off-hand. Any breeze at all made it impossible to hold steady. Mine was groved for a tip-off mount, so scoping yours should be easy.

There is some collector interest in these things, so don't modify it. Above all, heed what the other poster said. In South Carolina, you must have a Class III license to own a silencer.

retiredsgt

Nylon 66

The Nylon 66 is a fantastic gun. Had a friend in junior High School who had one, but I could never afford one. About the mid-80's I finally bought two, used, in very good condition. The gun was introduced in 1959, when Remington's exhibition shooter, Tom Frye, used it to prove its reliability. He used 3 Nylon 66s to shoot 100,010 2.5 x 2.5 inch wooden blocks out of the air over the course of several days. "Each of the rifles fired over 30,000 rounds without cleaning, and no malfunctions whatsoever occured during the course of the stunt!"
Of the the two that I have, one is Mohawk Brown, and the other is Apache Black. I have shot them extensively, without any problems. Remington did make a bolt action(the model Nylon 12) and a lever action(the model 76) I have never seen either at any gun shows. There are several clones out there, so beware!!;)

Hemicuda

I have 3 Nylon 66's and a Nylon 76...

my 66's ALL are tube-fed through the buttstock...

the '76 I have is the detatchable magazine fed gun...

That said, they are a fine shooter...

Which one do you have? black or "fake wood brown" stock?

Chromed external metal, or blued? (goes by letter designation)

Apache Black (AB) Mohawk Brown (MB) et al.

these are sweet little shooters... not a ton of value... and mine at least will function well when they are pretty dirty... (though I do clean 'em occasionally)

what are you looking for SPECIFICALLY about them?

Remmy

just a good shooter...

I just wanted to have a good accurate .22 around. Are any of yours scoped, what kind of accuracy do you get out around 50-75 yds?
The only reason i wanted the silencer was for a "project" of some sort, and to shoot an occasional cat that comes in my yard...

Yea, nice pics!...BTW i have the one with the fake wood stock, its blued and has some minor rust spots on it. And i see you have them scoped too :)

Hemicuda

the pic is ACTUALLY (the top one is a 94/.22 Mag)

of a TRUE Nylon and a Kassnar COPY... the scoped one is a REAL Apache Black, Chromed metal gun, with a 4 power on it... it's pretty much a tack-driver... (out to at least the 100 yds it's sighted in at.

the other is the Kassnar copy... and is every bit as accurate...

BOTH are capable of 100 yard 2" groups... (likely better, if I used a rest sustem to test them!)

MK11

The one I've got looks just like the rifle in the middle, only it has the faux wood stock and it does take ten round magazines.

DaveH

Hemicuda,
Was the copy made in Brazil?
I have a copy made by CBC in Brazil. A long time ago I found an article that claimed CBC bought Remington's tooling and that was why they seemed identical.
For the record, mine shoots as well as the real thing.

Hemicuda

CBC is the manufacturer of the Kassnar name, and yep... it's Brazilian...

they indeed DID buy ther tooling from Remington... and in all actuality, the CBC guns can occasionally command a small premium, only because of rarity...

all parts interchange with the Remington guns too...

Nuts and Bolts

I have one of the cbc made guns. Once a little work was done on the feeding, it has proven very reliable. Thined the front sight a bit, for precision work, and can hit pennys at 25 yards if I can see them. I tried a scope on mine, but found that the scope zero would move about. I don't believe that the scope or rings were to blame. I think it was the metal action cover that the rails are built into might have been moving on the stock. That probably is not an indicator of all of them though. Got to admit, it's a wonderful little gun. Easy to pack, and seems to shoot very well.

Crimper-D

Amazing little rifles!

The amount of abuse and neglect these ugley little weapons can withstand and still go "BANG!" when you need it to is simply astonishing.;) I have seen one that is used by a packing house owner to do field kills for the local ranches. He still uses it, just loads and shoots, loads and shoots...Clean??? - Not that he can recall, he's had the thing for about 30 years.
That's a lot of beef.;) Another specimin I've been told about spent ath better part of a winter in a snowbank, and didn't get found till the snow melted... shot everything in it's magazine.:)

OkieCruffler

My son has one with a 3-7X tasco on top. It made him a very reliable, cheap first rifle. Not the most accurate .22 out there, but it will group 1.5 inches at 50yrds if you can hold it down.

Bottom Gun

I've been shooting these guns for over 30 years and feel they are one of the best .22 rifles ever made. My favorite is an Apache Black model.
These have been very accurate rifles for me, but I've been disappointed each time I've mounted a scope on one.
The receiver groove for the scope is formed by stamping rather than by cutting or milling and consequently will not hold the rings as securely as other guns will. There is simply too much of a radius in the groove and this allows the rings to shift as they tend to travel in that radius. They don't shift much, but they will shift and each time you use it, you'll notice it has a slightly differnet zero. Just enough to aggravate you.
My suggestion is to enjoy it with open sights. It's a fine rifle and you'll be hard pressed to find a better one.

Correia

I had one. It was a total lemon.

It is the only gun that I have ever sold. I don't really regret it at all. Very unreliable, with all ammo. Couldn't get it to feed anything.

But apparently that is the exception to the rule.

Remmy

Well...after a lot of debate, ill probably end up scratching the suppressor for my plans. Regardless, i want the gun to be scoped, but when cleaning it, i noticed what everyone was mentioning...and i wondered then how a scope one that removable reciever would work :confused: but i guess ill just take it to a range and get the thing sighted in...

5pins

I put a scope on mine a few years ago. You must remove the receiver to clean it, so it will need to be re-zero it next time you use it. So you can have a dirty gun that is on, or a clean one that is off.