Anyone ever Worn Out a Gun?

Handy

It certainly is moot for some people. But who are these people that never keep a gun long enough to determine if they had a good reason to buy it?

I buy and sell guns a bit, but always in a quest for something really good. And when something really impresses me, I make it a permanent purchase. But I wouldn't have bought the gun in the first place if I hadn't thought it might qualify.

And yes, I was using the term "heirloom" to mean a useful item that can be passed on. People don't buy $5000 watches to keep in boxes - they wear them. I don't keep my guests off my Persian carpets, either.

Buying a gun of quite limited lifespan is like buying a Great Dane. About the time you're really falling in love with it, its life is ending. Someone who bought an Italian 92F in the '80s won't necessarily be getting the equivalent gun when they go a purchase a current US production 92FS at the store. That's why it is nice to not have to even consider replacement options.

Sure, durability is overemphasized, but guns are grossly overpriced as it is. You might as well get something for the outlay.

USP45usp

I've never done it myself but I have seen broom handles and lugers that has shot out barrels (when I was searching one for purchase).

Only a shot out irreplacable barrel is the only way I can think of wearing out a gun. Everything else can be replaced.

Wayne

Blue Heeler

Rust and rot kills more surely than wearing out does. The key is getting a good unit in the first place and then maintaining it. As to me personally wearing one out, no, not quite. I do have one old air pistol (50yrs) that has been re-rubbered, re-sprung and re-blued and had the broken loading lever replaced, plus a few other minor repairs. This is because it has been shot hundreds of thousands of time in an urban backyard and a small range under the house. All this was because it is quiet and cost virtually nothing to shoot.What better way to practice sight acquisition and trigger control.
All the family used it too, It hardly got any rest ever, except when it was broken.

Blue Heeler

Here is a Pic of the Old Warrior

Acvoke .177 made by Accles & Shelvoke of Birmingham, England C1950. They no longer make air pistols but do other stuff like Cattle Slaughtering gear.
attachment.php

Attachments

• MVC-188F.JPG
    MVC-188F.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 385

HSMITH

I have worn out a Marlin M60, and torn up a couple N-frame S&W revolvers. I have shot out rifle barrels, and worn several guns to the point they needed repair to the action to be serviceable again.

The M60 might have lived a little longer with a little better care but they can only take so many rounds, the N-frames would have lasted virtually for ever with deliberate DA fire or single action use. The rifle barrels there is no helping, they have a finite life. The actions of the guns that needed repaired have a finite life. I got my money out of the barrels and the actions, so it isn't like they failed in any way.

Yes you can wear out a gun. I have done it, and hope to keep doing it for many years to come. When I shoot a gun enough for it to need a new barrel or a repair I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to spend the time and money needed to get the gun to that stage. I've never felt bad about it at all.