Anyone ever Worn Out a Gun?

IanS

"Durability" seems to be one of those catch words and it seems to be something that concerns quite a lot of people. But realistically how many of us actually shoot so much that they'll shoot the gun to the ground? I mean to the point where fixing it isn't a viable option. Either its cheaper to buy a new gun or just sell it off for parts. For competition shooters and special op soldiers I think its a real issue. But for us "regular Joe's" who go to the range a few times a month and put maybe 100-200 rounds at the range; is it something that we really need to be concerned about? And most people own multiple guns as well. When most of us get sick of a gun we either sell it, trade it, or "retire" it to the back of the safe anyways. And I have a feeling most people who own just one handgun either plan to get another one or just don't shoot on a regular basis anyways.

Most of us use our lawn mowers, TV's, watches, refrigerators, and cars until they get to the point where its "trashed". Durability seems to be a more of an issue with these everyday items than guns. BUT we seem to emphasize this to the point that its almost second to reliability or accuracy.

Are most of us kidding ourselves worrying about durability? I mean really. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

big daddy 9mm

hum.....

I have a 22 marlin rifle and I have lost count on how many rounds I have put through it. I would probably say around the area of about 10 thousand and besides blueing wear, the action looks new so I dont think I will wear out this baby for a couple years.

gudel

i sell my guns after certain amount of rounds, usually around 3000 then i buy another one just like it or something different. kind of like leasing a car. i want my guns look new.
i don't really care about durability, as i'm sure these are all pretty good.

IanS

I'm not saying its not common. I'm sure there are lots of people who've put tens of thousands of rounds through their handguns, rifles, and shotguns (not just .22's) I'm just wondering if "durability" has become overemphasized in these forums. I see some people who panic when they hear their gun may not reach the 50,000 round mark. Or say that a good combat gun should reach 100,000 rounds or its trash. What percentage of shooters actually reach those kind of numbers?

I seem to get a sense that most handgun owners are often quite pleased and beam with pride if it gets past 10,000.

Maybe its no wonder gun manufacturers feel like they can cut corners here and there. Most people won't notice anyways. Maybe we all need to shoot the snot out of our guns more often and see what they're really made of ;)

IanS

i sell my guns after certain amount of rounds, usually around 3000 then i buy another one just like it or something different. kind of like leasing a car.

See. That's like putting maybe putting 2000-3000 miles on a car and trading it in. I mean how worn out can it look after 3000? When my SIG P229 went past the 3000 mark it still looked brand new; besides the SIG smilies on the barrel and wear on the barrel hood. A new gun with only a few thousand rounds has just been broken in. That's when a gun has reached its prime. You're selling the gun after you smoothed it out.

gudel

I don't think I've ever mention durability, but I'm picky about reliability.
I'm sure you remember about my P220ST thread :D

IanS

If a gun is unreliable thats one thing. But wasn't it a badly installed mag catch or release on the P220ST? I recall because I bought a P228 soon after that didn't have the mag release "plate" installed properly (maybe it was the same assembly guy at the Exeter SIG factory :eek: ). I could have sent it to SIG but didn't want to bother. I took it to KingsGunworks in Glendale. They re-installed it for a small fee. It shoots like any other SIG I've owned. Great.

gudel

i think the guy's name on the "quality" paper is nils whitely or something.
must've been monday morning gun.

so far i'm very pleased with my HK and Beretta. I will buy them again.

Kevin Quinlan

I have a S&W 10 that I bought used. I put over 30,000 handloads through it.It finally broke a $3.00 spring. Got it fixed and it is still going strong.

Kevin

XavierBreath

To me, durability is important because I buy used.

To me, duarability means more than resistance to wearing out, it means resistance to breakage. I've seen guns broken on the first box of ammo.

Reliability is more about resistance to jamming, durability about resistance to breakage.

Spotted Owl

I've worn out two barrels in my Model 70 in .220 Swift. I get about 2000 rounds through it before accuracy starts to fall off unacceptably.

zeisloft

I used to shoot ALOT more than I do now. It was a matter of pride to shoot atleast 1,000 rounds a week. Generally a minimum of 200 rounds a day after work. Mainly through a Gold Cup (1911). I'd replace the barrel as accuracy began to fall off about every 4 yrs, thats about every 200,000 rounds. The gun went through this for about 10 yrs. Do the math and its approx 1/2 a million rounds. Change the springs when they start to get slack and do the basic maintnance when necessary and I believe they will last forever. Barrels DO wear out, but Ive yet to run a gun into the ground. Anyone else?
~z

kittyhawk

When I was hired for my current job we shoot 5,000 rounds a day for 7 days Yes 5,000, plus about 15,000 in the other 5 weeks. I shoot out a Sig 229 in .357sig the slide split at 78,0000 rounds.
Yes you can wear out a gun.

k_dawg

alot depends on what one means by "worn out".

For example, I do not like sloppiness in the frame to slide fit. Even thou it may not affect it going bang.

That said, I have one firearm that would be "unsafe" to fire:

Smith & Wesson Model 1917 .45acp revolver

This is a family heirloom, and have no desire to "fix" it.

zeisloft

Kdawg, that slop has yet to affect any accuracy, (provided there isnt slop in the bushing), shake any of my 1911s and they sound like a bolt in a beer can, but they will sure shoot.
~z

Handy

Given the current political climate toward guns, I don't think it is very impractical to prefer a gun that will not need to be replaced - especially when the replacement is now illegal. I own several weapons that I greatly enjoy, but are no longer importable. My continued enjoyment stems from their ability to digest rounds without wearing much. It matters little the number of rounds I shoot per year if the intent is to have the gun 50 years from now.

Guns have never before been considered disposable items, but expensive heirlooms that have more in common with good timepieces, jewelry, fine furniture and homes.

If guns are to be treated like Bic pens and Casios, they should be priced accordingly.

zeisloft

Handy, I agree but disagree. Yes they are heirlooms, but some of mine are closed to Bic pens. I never took the pretty ones into the salt marsh hog hunting but I sure didnt want to have the cheapest thing on the shelf with me either. Being used makes them heirlooms like my great grandfathers trappin pistol with all the blue worn off from daily carry in a sweaty leather holster. Often its not the pretty figureing of the wood but the story that goes along with the scratch through it that makes it a heirloom. Pretty guns are "collectors items". Worn and used guns are heirlooms.

I guess I got a bit off topic but thats what seems to happen sometimes.
~z

Shoot em if you got em.

IanS

Both you and Handy make good points. Although I don't think Handy was necessarily suggesting they have to be handled like delicate heirlooms.

What I'm talking about are the rest of the people who trade and sell guns like trading cards. Guns come and go from their collection routinely but they still make a big fuss about durability. I understand we should get our money's worth. The gun companies reputation and their premium price should be justified. But I'm starting to think its become kind of a moot point for some people.