Anyone else NOT care about Colt Revolvers?

Maromero

tenusdad
They have a dancing horse on them. Also, when you pick up a Colt, you can hear a buffalo snort and an Indian whoop. I love the little dancing horse.

This must be after hearing the bagpipes!

coolbreezy

I personally think the python is a gorgeous firearm and there are a few available in my area, however I wouldn't go and drop the huge premium they usually demand. Ill stick with my gp and 629 for now. If I come across a steal of a deal on a python I might just have to snag one.

oilfieldguy

I don't share the facination with Colts.
I've always had mixed emotions about revolvers prices way above the common man's price range. This includes Smith & Wessons.

I'm sure that if I were to win the lottery or something, I would go on to buy some fine Colt revolvers. But as it is, I work pretty hard for every one of my dollars and need to make each one go as far a possible.

My father had a fine S&W .44 long barrel which was stolen around the time he died. I contemplated purchasing another just like it, but in the end I decided to by a Ruger .357 and spend the savings on new reloading equipment.

Jeff #111

The first revolvers I got were a Colt New Frontier SAA and a Colt Detective Special from my grandfather back in 1982. The following year I recieved a Colt Mk III Trooper for Christmas 1983.

Over the past 27 years the SAA and the Trooper were traded (for S&W revolvers :D) but I still have the Detective Special. I now own a Colt .357 magnum Trooper (mfd. 1967) and a Colt Mk III Lawman snubbie. I like S&W revolvers and own many more of them, but Colt revolvers still hold a special interest for me. I think Glibbeth hit the nail on the head. My first revolvers were Colts and that's a tough thing to overcome.

So regardless of the strengths and weaknesses I'll always have a fondness for Colt revolvers and I'm sure there will always be at least a couple of them in my safe.

Jart

There's a difference between not caring about something and getting lathered up about it. IMHO the distinction isn't subtle. The OP strikes me as a reasonable question. The internet being what it is often gives the impression that one is either a "fan" or a "basher" which is far from the reality where most people are, in fact, neither.

Giving due notice to the fact that this is the revolver forum it should nevertheless be noted that "Only a Colt is a Colt" and "Only the Colt has the prancing pony" are bromides which no longer enjoy a factual base.

If your interest includes rifles or, more recently, rimfire pistols it would seem that Walther is also a Colt and that stuff that never saw CT can bear the prancing pony.

To wit:
http://www.colt22rimfire.com/

Quite unlike cap and ball replicas and whatever the "Cowboy" was, the Umarex imports look like currently produced firearms and someone recalling the glory days might well be surprised where the pony is turning up.

Irrespective of any debates regarding the quality of the new "replicas" we can probably agree that the name "Colt" adjacent to a pony no longer means what it once did.

Fortunately, afaik, Colt's never made the same mistake with double action revolvers but who knows what's next? Umarex Python, anyone? Walther rimfire SAA?

I've read some remarks stating that the Umarex pony isn't really a pony and that "Colt" stamped on it somehow doesn't constitute a diluting of the brand but it seems logic gets tortured in the process in a manner I simply can't follow. Something to do with caveat emptor as a way of life and the failure of the purchaser to diligently research his purchase. Perhaps, but at the the end of the day, it's still a Walther / Umarex.

rkammer

I had a nickel Colt Coba with a hammer shroud a few years ago and loved that revolver. I never should have sold it.

Dave T

Anyone who can't appreciate the 1st and 2nd Generation Single Action Army for the beautiful and historic firearm it is, is from a different world than the one I grew up in.

Anyone who can afford a 1st or 2nd Generation Single Action Army, is from a different world than the one I live in now.

I've never liked their DA revolvers but more power to those who do.

Dave

BillCA

Winchester_73 said:
I found out my mistake. S&W didn't invent the cartridge itself, rather they made the first self contained cartridge revolver, a feat thats no less impressive when you think about it. I had that reversed in my head.

I'm sure someone will correct me, but IIRC, S&W patented the .22 S&W rimfire cartridge (i.e. .22 short) and bought the patent right to the bored-through cylinder. This allowed them to produce a .22 rimfire revolver that loaded from the rear, circa 1845-50. That bored-thru cylinder kept Colt from bringing out a similar model until after the patent ran out in 1872.

mothermopar said:
I'm a Colt guy... That being said, I'd love to take a SW 25 to magnaport and get it snubbed... Talk about the ultimate snubbie! Woohoo!!!
S&W is actually produced a 3-inch Model 25 last year - for Lew Horton I think.

But I think you're thinking something like this ...
M25JJ01.jpg

S&W Model 25, John Jovino Custom snubbie.

For personal defense, the Buffalo Bore 255gr LSWC .45 AR at 908 fps (6") works well out of the 2 5/8" barrel.

If I could find a "lightly worn" Model 25 in .45 Colt, I'd consider having it bobbed to either 3" or 4", round butted, an action job and finished in brushed hard chrome. :D

Evyl Robot

I like the Colts I've seen just fine, but apparently not as much as whoever is selling them. :eek: I certainly don't spite my Smiths for not being Colts. ;)

gak

I usually don't like to respond to threads with a contrarian view when that wasn't what the OP asked for (in this case suggesting neutral or negative views in agreement with his/her supposition). But...others have made positive comments so I'll join in with a few too!

When it comes to DA, I'm mostly a S&W type--and especially the Ks--but I like Colts like the D-frame 'cause up until fairly recently (Rossi .357 snub and now Taurus .38) the D-frame was the only of its small 6-shot genre. I've heard the Rossi is actually a pretty fine piece--A-B'ing with a Det Special at a store they're remarkabky similar--and know nothing of the new Taurus to praise or bash, but the Colt is a Colt.

Otherwise, a few years ago I decided after some 30+ years to finally break down and get my long dreamed of gen-u-wine SAA, and saved up many pennies to do so. This one, "despite" being a late 3rd Gen (4th for us non-purists), is a gem-- made even moreso by it's very rare (for a 4th) non-cataloged but factory .44 Special-only chambering (which finally put me over the edge). At $1150 shipped NIB incl FFL, it was "worth it" to me--at least as a one-time purchase. A lot of people have put down the 3rds, and WRT some earlier ones I was probably one of them--some just didn't measure up in all ways a SAA was supposed to--but I can find no fault with the latest ones I've seen and mine is a prime example. I've handled and shot a friend's stable of ten (!) 2nd Gens (and handled-only about the same number of his 1st's) and they're all the charmers folks have ma them out to be. But, I'll stack my ca-2008 against any of them (but, illogically, still want a 2nd or late 1st Gen! Some people are never satisfied!). I've got a nice Italian clone (Uberti/Cim) and USFA--a Rodeo .44 I then had antiqued--and it is everything most say about USFAs,...but the Colt is A Colt (in good ways). No regrets. Just afraid to muss it up now, especially being a rare one--which I was warned about! One of the reasons why the likes of Uberti, Ruger and USFA exist!

aarondhgraham

I disagree PetahW

Once Sam Colt made the first, everyone else was nothing but a copycat - some more inventive than others, but a copycat nontheless.

Hello PetahW,,,
If I recall correctly,,,
S&W developed the "Hand Ejector" swing out cylinder.

I'm with EdInk in that full lug barrels hold no attraction for me,,,
Un-shrouded ejector rods are also aesthetically unpleasing.

My Mk III Colt Troopers have shrouded ejector rods,,,
They are very handsome revolvers to me.

In Colt's DA line they are the rarity for good looks,,,
For pure style they rival most any S&W I own.

So Gunkwazy,,,
I believe I have all the Colt revolvers I want,,,
I'll not drive the price of collectable Colts any higher,,,
Just keep on cornering the market on all those collectable Colts.

BTW - Just how many Colts do you own?,,,
Can you even count that high? ;)

In my not-so-humble opinion,,,
The prettiest revolver ever made is,,,
The Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum.

Everything you want in a handgun,,,
And nothing you don't. :D

One last thing,,,
Has anyone else noticed how polite this 3 pages of thread has been?,,,
I'm absolutely amazed that this discourse has maintained such a civilized tone,,,
Usually the Smith & Wesson lovers and the Colt devotees would have been hurling insults by now.

I might get all weepy here,,, :rolleyes:

Last edited:

skoro

My revolver count...

Colt: 1

S&W: 8

So, I can't say that I don't care about Colts. I just prefer Smiths. Besides, Smith still makes lots of revolvers. It's been about 15 years since Colt was in the game, other than 1800s look-alikes. I've noticed those selling used Colt DA revolvers seem to be very attached to them, as in not willing to sell at a reasonable price. So, somebody is still very interested in them.

1911s are a different story. In that style, I prefer Colts over S&W by a wide margin.

oneounceload

They are just too over priced anymore. They are nice.... but for the money..... I want a shooter not a safe queen.

What does the cost have to do with shooting them? You saying that if a gun costs a lot, you shouldn't shoot it? If they're better made, why NOT shoot them, and shoot them a lot? They're not all antiques - most will do just fine. I have friends with VERY expensive guns of all types - they take then hunting in rough conditions, shooting at the range, etc.

Besides, a gun that cost $1,000 is no longer a big deal or the indicator of a "safe queen"

ruablond

Colts

I tried a couple of S&W revolvers, both vintage, unfired and both started spitting lead nearly the first time out...have owned nearly half a dozen Colts, either Official Police or Detectives..I now only have one gun, a nickel Colt Det....won't sell it unless I'm destitute with nothing else to pawn...I dont really like the later D frames..too blocky, like blocky looking women..ICK!..don't care for the Python's looks either, although I don't doubt the tesitmonies of it's action..

...dancing horse:D..I like that better than rampant Colt..

Attachments

• draw 001.jpg
    draw 001.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 15