Anyone else NOT care about Colt Revolvers?

EdInk

Colt made great guns. However, I have fired pythons and detectives and while being nice, I just don't see what all the hype is over. Aesthetically they appeal even less to me. I don't like the vent ribbed barrels on the python or the unsupported ejectors on the various models.

Again, I am in NO WAY bashing them but just wondering if any others could take 'em or leave 'em, like me?

I guess S&W and Rugers just appeal more to me. Anyone else?

5.56RifleGuy

One of the great things about Colt is how nice their cylinders lock up. It seems no matter how old they get they stay nice and tight.

I like smiths too, but I havent had a lot of experiance with ruger.

Walkalong

I love my Trooper Mk III's. Great shooters. I like my Python, and they are worthy of the hype. It doesn't get shot much though. I would love to have a beat up old Python for a shooter. I love my OMM's in .22 Mag (Converted .22 LR) and .38 Spl. If I run into a deal on a .22 LR I'll get one of those. I want an older Colt Trooper or Colt .357.

I am pretty happy with Smiths and Rugers as well.

tenusdad

They have a dancing horse on them. Also, when you pick up a Colt, you can hear a buffalo snort and an Indian whoop. I love the little dancing horse.

dreamweaver

they're over rated

I don't know that they're over rated so much as over priced. the python is an exceptional revolver, but they premium they command is because the aren't made anymore and have "colt" stamped on them.
colt made an 8" anaconda in 44 mag. I have a ported version and like it a lot. but the smith has a better action and is $200 cheaper (on average).
same for the colt SAA. you're paying for the colt name and history. BUT there IS a different "feel" between a ruger and a colt single action. I happen to like my vaquero 32-20 better than my colt saa in the same caliber, but the colt wins hands down in .45lc.
a good comparison is the usfa saa's vs the colt saa's. the usfa rodeo is a great gun for CAS. it's made to the same specs as the early colt saa's and a bargain at $600 with an oxide/parker type finish. but if you want the usfa blued and case colored version it runs very close to the price of a factory new 3rd gen colt.
this is all just my opinion. I "collect' colts, but i own lots of others.

P-990

It's not so much the "Colt" I don't care for, it's the aesthetics. I don't like full-lugged barrels, heavy ribs *cough* Python *cough* Anaconda *cough* 686 *cough* 629 Classic *cough* GP-100 *cough* :barf: I see nice older Police Positives and Officers Models turn up at the local funshops, and I want one to add to the collection, but I'm still holding out for a nice S&W M-15 or pencil-barrel M-10 first.

Of course, I think a 4" N-frame with the tapered barrel is the pinnacle of revolver aesthetics, with a 4" tapered barrel K-frame coming up next, so I may be biased. Having said that, my S&Ws are a 4" M-19 .357 and a 6" 629 .44, both with heavy, half-lug barrels... :p

old bear

So-So about Colt revolvers

I always felt that it was a toss up between, S&W and Colt as to who made the better revolver. That being said I always preferred the appearance of S&W to Colt, and the S&W frame/grips always fit my hand much better. So I never bothered with Colt’s much.
All of that being said, if needed I would never feel uncomfortable armed with a good Colt revolver.

A little off topic, I always liked the Colt Combat Commander and thought it was an excellent S/D pistol.

CWPinSC

wondering if any others could take 'em or leave 'em, like me?

Well, I feel the same way about the Glock, and the 1911 - which everyone else seems to salivate like Pavlov's dogs over. IMO, a Glock looks and feel cheap and the grip just does not fit my hand AT ALL. The 1911 is a fine piece, but again, it just does not fit my hand very well.

Back to the Colt. Part of the mystique, I believe, is Colt did some innovative things when they were still making revolvers. They made "classic" guns. Let's face it, their guns are VERY well made. Now, every one is a collector's item because none are being made any more. I will agree that I've seen a lot for sale at drastically inflated prices. Someone who wants one badly enough will pay the price. To be honest, I don't see why a Python can command so much more than a comparable S&W 19. They're not that much different and both are exceptional guns.

tenusdad

they're over rated

But they have the dancing horse on them - nothing else does. Iv'e had several, they all were great, never an issue. America the Beautiful!

tenusdad

so much as over priced

Not really - Colt's are better than money in the bank. I've neve had one that didn't go up in value. Try that with a Taurus.

As someone who only shoots double-action and doesn't stage the trigger, I find the Colts lacking. They're fine guns and I admire the craftsmanship, but I find S&W revolvers to have smoother triggers and to be better all-around working guns.

tenusdad

I find S&W revolvers to have smoother triggers

Yes sir - S&W revolver triggers - doesn't get any better than that.

GUNKWAZY

Awesome.
Now that you've all finally realized Colt revolvers all are JUNK, would ya stop buying them so the prices would come down and I could buy more JUNK.:D

Thanks for finally clearing that up.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

BillCA

I never really cared much for Colts when they were available. What it boiled down to were several factors.
- The Python barrel with the full underlug didn't appeal to me.
- Neither did the "hanging in the breeze" ejector rod.
- I never liked the "stacking" of the Colt trigger (heavier at the release)
- The larger Colt grips had that plow-share shape that didn't fit my hand.

There were some exceptions however. The later models of the D-frame Colts (Cobra, Det. Special, Police Positive Special) had a shrouded ejector and looked fine. Plus their actions were easier to operate it seemed to me.

The Colt Trooper MK III had the partial underlug barrel with a fully ribbed sight plane and it was an excellent shooter.

Some years ago, I ran into a retired metallurgist my father knew, at a gun shop. When I noticed he was buying an older (1950's) Colt, I remarked on the ejector being vulnerable. He laughed. He mentioned the type of steel they used (which I've forgotten) and said his own tests showed that you'd have to use the rod as a hammer before it would put the gun out of action.

PetahW

The inventor of the genre (revolvers) MUST have done SOMETHING right, ne pas ? :D

After all - Once Sam Colt made the first, everyone else was nothing but a copycat - some more inventive than others, but a copycat nontheless.

sserdlihc

I am the type of person who loves to shoot everything I have. I have absolutely no "safe queens". So realistically, I would be a little hesitant of shooting it due to the fact that they are getting more and more rare. I probably wouldn't invest in one for that reason. That's just me though.

Nnobby45

Colt made great guns. However, I have fired pythons and detectives and while being nice, I just don't see what all the hype is over. Aesthetically they appeal even less to me. I don't like the vent ribbed barrels on the python or the unsupported ejectors on the various models.

Hype? Aesthetics? Well, if that's your consideration that's ok, but for those who just needed a reliable working gun, they served the purpose just fine, and the rib and heavy underlug on the Python were put there for a reason, which wasn't aesthetics. S&W essentially copied the design in their 586.

There was a day when an officer carried a S&W or a Colt. Bill Jordan referred to both as "real beauties".

Citizens also would have one or the other, though, obviously, the Python was out of reach for many because of cost.

My Cylinder and Slide tuned Detective Special works just fine, and does have the advantage of 6 shots--- and a little more weight to make it easier to shoot. I do prefer the later models that shroud the ejector rod, which is something the S&W 640 didn't offer until the dash 1 came out.:cool: