Anyone else consider squirrels varmnit? -graphic squirrel pic warning

stevelyn

I consider them varmints, although the ADF&G disagrees with me and inspite of being raised in deepest, darkest Appalachia where they are considered the Holy Grail of tablefare by hillbillies.

Yeah, that .17HMR will turn them inside out with TNT's.

rodfac

My family and I have lived on the same farm here in KY for 25 years now...with a grove of walnut trees in the side yard...we've always been patient with the squirrels who frequent the grove with one proviso...if they stay in the grove, all's well (hell they're just tryin' to make a living, just like me)...but if they come up on the deck or house...no quarter will be shown.

This year, I had to shoot some to keep 'em out of the attic...I thought we had 4-5 that were the problem, but over a couple weeks, I shot 23 before they quit coming. We've got a lot of walnuts, oaks and some hickory down through our gulleys and they just multiplied until the house was in jeopardy. Did all of the shooting with an aged Winchester M-62A in .22 lr. It's a good gun and I've added a flip up tang peep sight to make the shooting a bit easier.

Hated to do it, but we're rid of the little buggers for a spell now.

Best Regards, Rod

AdamSean

I usually shoot around 20-30 a year around the house before they try to get in the attic. I started out with a Marlin model 60 .22LR. I then moved up to a .17HMR. When their heads started disappearing and the entrails stretched 3 feet from the body, I went back down to a .22 as long as I am around the house. Works just fine. In the field, its back to the .17 though. Squirrel hunting is so much fun too.

sc928porsche

Because tree rats are usually located up in trees and within rifle distance to houses etc., I use my old benjiman pump in .22 cal pellets. Dosnt rip them apart, but definately makes a pass through.