Anyone Else Bored with 100 Yards ?

madcratebuilder

Steel plates add some noise and instant gratification when shooting at 100yds. I well toss out a few dozen bright colored clays on the 100yd bream and blast away, more fun than paper.

COSteve

Why stop at 100 yds with clays? I sprinkle them out at 300 and 500 yards as targets for my scoped ARs from the bench. Heck, I shoot at golf balls at 100 and 200 yards. Do I hit them regularly? Depends upon what day I'm having at the bench, but shooting at small and long range reactive targets has always been my preference. I get bored shooting at static targets as a set range.

Chuckusaret

I envy you guys. I live in Palm Beach County Florida and we only have one outdoor range that is managed by the sheriff and it is open to the public just a few days per month. Yes, I agree that 100 & 200 yds gets boring after a while.

Ozzieman

The day I get bored with shooting, any kind of shooting I will take up knitting.
I’m with Stevie Ray, 100 yards with a good 22LR holding 1 inch groups at 100 yards or 3 inch groups at 50 with a 44 SP N frame Smith.
Pretty sure that is why God gave us prairie dogs.
Not so emcon5, at least not prairie dogs. Here in Indiana God gave us the most dangerous animal in the wild kingdom, the wild earthen piggy. Known in other arias as the GROUND HOG.
Lying in the back of my truck with over 1000 acres of young soy beans and shots from 50 to 1000 yards with +20 mph winds with a bolt 223. We call it “making green clouds.”

emcon5

If your only range is 100 yards, you can still challenge yourself, but you need to get off the bench.

You can do the NRA Service rifle course of fire at 100 yards with reduced targets. I attached printable versions of the SR1 (used for Standing and sitting) and the SR21c (used for Prone rapid fire)

I posted the MR31c (for slow fire prone) here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4236230#post4236230

The SR1 is reduced from 200 yards, the SR21c is reduced from 300 yards, and the MR31c is reduced from 600 yards.

Print them on a standard sheet of 8.5x11 paper and get to shooting. Your 1903a3 would be a good rifle for it, and it already has the proper sling.

The course of fire is generally 2 sighters, and 10 (or 20 depending on the club) shots for record per position.
1. Slow Fire, standing - 10 rounds in 10 minutes. (SR1 target)
2. Rapid Fire, sitting or kneeling - 10 rounds in 60 seconds. (SR1 target)
3. Rapid Fire, 10 rounds prone - in 70 seconds. (SR21c)
4. Slow Fire, 10 rounds prone - in 10 minutes. (MR31c)

Good overview of the positions here:
http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/USAMU3-5/usamu3-5.html

I added a gray pattern to the targets to make spotting bullet holes easier. The grey is not visible from distance, they just looked like standard black bullseye type targets when using the iron sights, but with even minimal magnification you can see bullet holes because they break the pattern.

Attachments

• sr1_pattern.jpg
    sr1_pattern.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 54
  • sr21c_pattern.jpg
    sr21c_pattern.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 46

TX Hunter

I agree Emcon

Nothing Wrong with 100 Yards, but once the Rifle is set, it is good to get off the rest and concentrate on Marksmanship. I just got bored with it, looking at my Rifle knowing that it was capable of use beyond 100 yards and I wanted to start stretchin it out. I plan to go farther with it eventually. I remember in the Marines our Rifle Range started at 200 yards, but we were shooting at Huge Targets. I cant see the rings on a standard rifle target at 100 yards Iron Sighted, much less 200 But I can see a Milk Jug with the Sun shining on it, so for now thats my target until I get some plates.:)

Mr_Raw

well my range maxes out at 200 yards, but I love shooting my rim fire at rotten eggs at about 30 yards. It's great fun.

My uncle's range goes out to about 600 yards, so I won't be getting board any time soon.

boostedtt91

I am very sick of shooting at 100 yard targets!! I hate that there is really nowhere to shoot long range. The longest anyone has is 200 yards and the rare chance a club has a 1000 yard range, there is so many events going on that you can't just go and shoot whenever you want

tobnpr

Once you an shoot as good as your rifle, it's time for a new rifle...

Even if 100 yards is all you can shoot- hang a 1" steel gong there...then, you've got a challenge- for most factory rifles, anyway.

Yesterday had fun with consistent hits on a 10" gong at 565 yards. On the opposite berm, are moa gongs- 6". QUITE a bit more challenging... Even got lucky with a couple of hits on a 10" at 1000.

Trick is to just challenge your rifle- with whatever size target that represents- at the range you can shoot.

Still, there's no substitute for doping the wind, and as frustrating as it can be it just takes a lot of time behind the trigger.

Last edited:

Mr Budha

I need to find somewhere here in South Florida that I can even shoot longer than 100 yards. My local range only goes out to 100 yards and even then, they are pretty strict about targets (only paper). Maybe I just need to move and buy a ton of my own land :D

tobnpr

^^^

Depending where you are, the Manatee Gun Club should be within a couple of hours from you. That's where we go, it's worth the hour and forty-five drive from New Port Richey.

TOP NOTCH facillity, very knowledgeable staff, and more "serious" shooters than you see at most public ranges. You'll find more high-end customs and Barrett M82-A1's than AK's there. Make the trip- you won't regret it:

http://manateegunclub.com/index_files/SateliteView.htm

TX Hunter

I think 100 Yards may get interesting again, I just got my first prescription for Bi Focals, actually Progressive. May take me a little while to get used to them before I can max back out on my 200 yard Iron Sight Milk Jug. :D

Mr Budha

The manatee gun club looks really neat. It's a little over 4 hours from me but If i ever find myself in Sarasota, i'll definitely check it out.

hooligan1

I was getting bored, and ready to move out to 200-300, but it's terrible hot here, and I'm bored with being inside all the time. (but I'm loading alot of ammo):)

B.L.E.

Even 50 yard shooting is fun if:
1. You shoot offhand, no shooting rest.
2. You shoot for score.
3. Other people are trying to beat your score.

gunloony

All those that said "get off the bench" or words to that effect are right. "Standing on your hind legs and shooting like man" can be very challenging even at relatively short ranges. If it gets too easy shooting standard targets at say, 100 yards/meters, use a smaller target.
Smaller targets? Exhibition shooters used to shoot aspirin tablets as part of their acts. (.22 rimfire at about 10 yards, I think.) Use your imagination. Of course observe the range rules.

B.L.E.

One of the problems with getting off the bench is that the only range that's a reasonable distance from me only allows bench shooting on the rifle range. The range is so baffled that you couldn't shoot offhand anyway. They will allow offhand rifle at the pistol range but it has to be a .22 or pistol caliber rifle and the farthest targets there are 25 yards away. Even there, it seems I'm the only person shooting offhand with a rifle.
Still, posting a 10 meter air pistol target at 25 yards and trying for a possible of 50 points in a five shot match is a real challenge when shooting offhand.

I'm totally amazed that there are so many people with rifles and yet there seems to be so little interest in shooting leagues or competition in general.

Pointshoot

This is a month old thread - - - but still very relevant.

Guys in urban areas without longer shooting ranges might want to check out ranges/gun clubs in small rural towns/counties. Often you can shoot there and join the club. (They can use the financial support and a helping hand. Being an NRA member and GOA member helps.)

It might even be worth a long drive once a month or so to get to stretch out the distance.

Last edited:

chucknbach

Only shoot 100 when zeroing or load testing. Usually off bi pod in the prone. Occasionally I'll go to the range do it off the bench. I take a .22 with me to shoot while barrel cools.