anyone conceal carry a large frame, long barreled revolver?

papadork

not necessarily, i am more better with revolvers than semis. id rather trust my life to something i am more proficient and confident with. i dont like compact anything, the only semi ill regularly carry is a full size 1911.

I agree about the trust thing. I just may opt for a S&W J-frame instead of the Kahr CM9. Not sure yet though.

s&w500

yep

I carry all the time when I go hiking. A Ruger Super Redhawk w/7.5" brl. in a shoulder holster and a GP 100 6" on my hip. It's a lot of steel but I find it to be fun, and it gives me a better workout. After a season or two I don't even notice it any more. I don't have a concealed weapons permit...But I don't need one in the wild, I love Idaho! During winter My BIG coat on my 5'11" 135lb frame makes the redhawk dissappear. And for some reason I don't feel under-gunned. :D

savit260

I find a large frame Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel to be a piece o cake to carry IWB.

Been expirimenting with a 7 1/2" Virginian Dragoon in a Bianchi X-15 Shoulder rig. Not too bad with an untucked flannel shirt for cover.

hermannr

You don't need a license to open carry in town in Idaho either. I sometimes carry my 6" Colt but then I only conceal when the weather is cold enough for a coat. There is no need to conceal in WA and ID and quite a few other states, license or not.

Hiddenpiece

ohio has "open carry" too....... but in most places here it's not worth the hassle.
they keep that law on the books incase your concealed becomes not so concealed. also called sunshine law.
i'de love to carry my ruger vaquero openly..... might cause a little panic!

Niner4Tango

Sure! A 629 in a Bianchi X15 shoulder holster. Actually a very comfortable rig. I'm only 5'9" so gotta go with the 6" barrel to keep it under the jacket :D

629_6in.jpg

deadcoyote

My Dad CCW's a 6" SW model 57 or 58 (.41 mag) in a shoulder rig. He's a goofball. He always tells me "if you need more than six shots you deserve to get kilt' anyways".

glenncal1

Shortly after I got my CCW I carried by 8 3/8 Model 27 on a trip to Walmart, but it just a goof. (Of course as big as the SuperWalmarts are maybe a long tube isn't such a bad idea) :D

KBP

Carrying a large frame handgun

I carried a S&W model 57 (.41 mag) for 25 years. With a 4 inch barrel and packmyer grips it was easy to conceal but did have some weight. I now carry a Ruger model SR9c with three times the round capacity and 1/3 the power. The Ruger is also about 1/3 the weight. I like the fact I can shoot 18 bullets without reloading and its so light and easy to carry! If I feel I need a cannon, I just strap back on my Model 57! Everyone needs to have CHOICES!

My daily carry gun is usually a Smith& Wesson Model 29 Classic, blued 4 inch, 44 Magnum with a coco bolo Hogue Monogrip in a plain, custom made leather hip holster( I am left handed). I keep Hornady 225 grain flex tips in the revolver and a HKS with 6 250 grain Keith SWC's in my pocket. At 3 pounds it is not light,but I work in a grocery store and am not really traveling too much during the day. It is heavy, but with regular wear I am accustomed to it. I am 6'3" and weigh 250#, so I have a lot of real state to carry a .44. Sure I could carry something smaller( and do sometimes) but I feel most at home with a big revolver.

Hiddenpiece

i stopped usin' the hks for my .38. i get it jammed up everytime if i don't release it at a certain distance from the cylinder. not to speedy of a loader if it jams like that.
hopefully they work better on large frame revolvers.

codefour

I often carry a .44 Mag Redhawk on my hip in a Simply Rugged "transit" holster. It's a four inch. Pretty comfy but I have to wear a strong belt and wear it pretty tight or it sags.

When I order another Simply Rugged for my X-frame I will get the Chester Pully straps. BTW, Simply Rugged makes a GREAT holster!!

Rainbow Demon

I've carried the 1851 Navy and a 6 inch barreled Colt Officers Model Target long ago. Each in well constructed shoulder holsters.

Its not that much more difficult to conceal a long barreled large frame revolver than it is a short barreled large frame revolver.

Seaman

"anyone conceal carry a large frame, long barreled revolver? "

The largest was a 6-1/2" S&W 29 in a shoulder holster, behnd a jacket, but despite Dirty Harry's heroics, I finally gave up ... sold it.

Nowadays the largest is an N-frame S&W 22-4 (the Indiana Jones gun) which carrys really well in a hip pancake or a shoulder holster and 45 ACP means really quick reloads because of the moon-clips.

"if you need more than six shots you deserve to get kilt". [deadcoyote]

My kinda guy. But ...what if there are seven perps rushing at you?

Just pull your BUG.

Check your 6.