anyone conceal carry a large frame, long barreled revolver?

coolbreezy

its starting to get colder, so that means revolver season to me. in the colder months i usually carry a 3" smith 629, but now i started carrying my 8 3/8 sw 29 in a sholder holster and i can conceal it quite well (im almost 6'3 without shoes on), and im good at drawing such a large gun quickly. my 29 is a dependable and reliable range beater and is by no means a collector's gun. i dont mind holster wear, in fact i think it gives a gun character. i keep it loaded with 200 grain 44 special hps and keep an extra speedloader full of mid power magnums. i just wanted to know does anyone else carry similar revolvers concealed. i know it seems kinda outlandish, but im comfortable carrying it and trust my life to this gun.

Pointshoot

Yes, I usually carry one of these when the weather turns cold outside. Its very reassuring to have, and you really get used to the heft of her :

800px-Buntline.jpg

Last edited:

Webleymkv

I've carried a 5 1/2" Ruger Redhawk once or twice just to see if I could, but that's about it. One of the reasons that I sold the Redhawk to finance a 4" S&W 629 is because the Ruger, while a fine gun, was just too big to be a practical carry gun even in cold weather.

Gdawgs

I was thinking of getting a holster for my 10" BFR just so that I could say that I did carry it. But since I put a scope on it, I don't think there is a holster that will fit. Maybe when the zombies come.

Kreyzhorse

I've carried my 686 6" a few times. It can be done, but I just never felt that I would be able to get it to clear the OWB holster in any reasonable amount of time.

Redhawk5.5+P+

I've carried a 5 1/2" Ruger Redhawk once or twice just to see if I could, but that's about it. One of the reasons that I sold the Redhawk to finance a 4" S&W 629 is because the Ruger, while a fine gun, was just too big to be a practical carry gun even in cold weather.

I was in the market for a 4" Redhawk, but a 5.5" Redhawk fell in my lap for a great price in mint condition. I love it, and carry it with a shoulder holster once in a while under my Jacket when the weather permits.

FM12

My 6" L frame is for range use, its shorter brother (4") goes concealed with me sometimes. In a fobus holster covered by an untucked shirttail.

Comancheseven

When I go into the mountains I carry one of my 5 CWP weapons that I have qualified with, in a IWB holster (strong side / Right Hand). And a S&W 629 44 Mag. 4" barrel in a Shoulder Holster under a big coat just in case. You never know. I also carry a Marlin 1895 450 Marlin in my truck. Yea I know overkill.

Dave

raindog

I can't help but think of the movie "Survivors" (Robin Williams/Walter Mattheau) where the little old woman in a gun store asks for a shoulder holster for a full-sized .44 Mag revolver.

egor20

I'm the opposite about long barrels.

When it gets nasty cold, I toss a .38 with a bobbed hammer in my outside pocket of my parka. I still carry my normal .45, but when the jackets buttoned up, I can't really use it.

engineer88

I wish I could find a decent iwb for my 4" S&W 64-5. It would definitely see some carry time if I could. Instead it is my two inch DAO SP101 with slicked up trigger every day. I guess that I am not complaining too much about it. :)

Hiddenpiece

hi everyone..... newbie.
i've carried a large frame ruger vaquero in .44 mag with a 5 1/2" barrel a few times with a homemade shoulder rig under heavier jackets/coats. it weighs a ton after a while.

Last edited:

papadork

Big powerful revolvers are meant to be trail guns. A compact 9 or 45 is more than enough to get you out of a jam. :rolleyes:

jfruser

One of my CCW rigs is a S&W 629 4" bbl toted in a Galco VHS shoulder holster with double speed loader on the off side.

coolbreezy

not necessarily, i am more better with revolvers than semis. id rather trust my life to something i am more proficient and confident with. i dont like compact anything, the only semi ill regularly carry is a full size 1911.