Anybody use multiple powders per caliber?

pete2

I have and do but you don't have to, like to play around. I could get buy with Unique for handgun and shotgun, one of the 4831s for rifle(I only shoot .243, and .270). Oops, I'd need a 3rd powder for .223 if I load for it, might load all three with Varget.

std7mag

Oh yeah!!

I shoot everything from 75gr Varmint bullets through 120gr Partitions in 3 different 25 caliber rifles.
I also recently picked up some Absolute Hammers to try. They reccomend using a fast for weight powder.
7mm goes from 120gr Varmint through 175gr ABLR again in 3 different cartridges.

9mmSkeeter

"Oddly enough the most universally successful powder across all HG platforms has been Alliant Clay Dot..."

Care to expand on that a bit? Are you talking in general, or for your purposes?

I'm not that familiar with Clay Dot. Unique has really always held that title, being an incredibly flexible powder (although one that I simply don't like).

Unique is meh. Not best at anything.

Clay Dot is amazing in 9mm. I got it during the Kerry / Bush era in 03, it was all they had.

Published or not, I don’t give a sh-t.. It’s been a love affair ever since.

bacardisteve

Absolutely. In rifle calibers especially lightweight bullets require faster powder than heavy bullets in same caliber. Ive loaded everything from 110gr vmax to 220gr eldx in 300win.

"Unique is meh. Not best at anything."

I didn't say it was "best"

By universally successful I meant that it is the powder with the widest range of applications.

Unique is an amazingly flexible powder that has broad applications across handgun, rifle, and shotgun loading.

That said, I still don't like Unique because of its metering properties.

Here's what Alliant has put together for loading information for Unique. It's an impressively broad list.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=3

But it leaves out a lot of cartridges, including rifle cartridges.

rclark

I haven't found a 'best' powder yet. I've just found those that work for my use. I like Unique for .44s (spec & mag) loading from 7gr to 10gr. I liked it in the .45 Colt as well. It meters just fine for these loads. Even .357 is ok. When I try to load below 6gr is where I don't like how it meters (say .32 H&R Magnum). I moved to the AA (2 and 5) powders at the lower weight for very consistent metering there. That said, if the revolver/pistol powder selection was reduced to 2400, Unique, and Bullseye... I would be ok with that.

stinkeypete

I use 12 g Unique and 180g cast lead in my 30-06. Fun and easy, and it would wallop a groundhog at 100 yards. Any serious 30-06 load would use something more serious, but I enjoy the super-plinker. With 100 grain “plinkers”, I use a pinch of 231 and poly whisp. Just in case of a squirrel incursion. If I went deer hunting again, I’d need a 3rd powder, but pheasants are easier to pack out at my age.

.44 Magnum.. unique, 2400 and I used to use H110 but don’t need that much “fun” anymore.

So yes!

9mmSkeeter

"Unique is meh. Not best at anything."

I didn't say it was "best"

By universally successful I meant that it is the powder with the widest range of applications.

Unique is an amazingly flexible powder that has broad applications across handgun, rifle, and shotgun loading.

That said, I still don't like Unique because of its metering properties.

Here's what Alliant has put together for loading information for Unique. It's an impressively broad list.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=3

But it leaves out a lot of cartridges, including rifle cartridges.

Likewise I did not imply Unique was not flexible :)

Have used it (and its brother 20/28) multiple times over several HG calibers and it goes pew, every time.

I just don’t prefer it in anything. What I’m saying is I’d much rather use other powders than Unique. Is it bad? No. Is it good? Sure. Is it best? Noooope.

Good day!

cptjack

In my 270 win I use h4831sc for 130 grs and 4064 ib 100 grs AMAZING same point of impact. both are jack O conners loads

Reloadron

Anybody use multiple powders per caliber?

Yes, on occasion I do. Just as an example loading 308 Win with a 168 grain Sierra Match King while my choice is normally AA2495 I also use IMR4895 and IMR4064 depending on rifle. Sometimes it comes down to if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with.

Same is true of handgun powders for .45 ACP and .357 Magnum.

I do make a point of being well stocked with powders, primers and bullets I like.

Ron

GeauxTide

No. Too complicated for me. I find a bullet and powder that shoots the best in a caliber and stick with it. I gave up, long ago, using one caliber for multiple uses.

Grey_Lion

H Titegroup for any jacketed .40 pistol projectile -

H HP-38 for any .40 lead or powder coated round because it burns cooler than titegroup - done to reduce leading and the smell of burning powder coat -

Got away from Alliant bullseye because it burns dirtier in my experience and sparked more which speaks to possible metal contaminants in the powder and my last canister had an eyeglass screw in it - never looked back.

rodfac

Unique's been around for over 100 yrs IIRC, often called "Flaming Dirt" for its burning characteristics, its modern version has improved, somewhat, in that regard. I've used it since the mid-60's, and share with other handloaders, a dislike for it's lousy measuring traits. But for mid-range loads in virtually any handgun round, it does the job...in a word versatile. Of late though, I've replaced it with Win 231 or HP-28...slightly faster but equally versatile and it measures oh so nice. YMMv...they're always a useful choice. Rod

hdwhit

Sure. When I started reloading 223/5.56, I used IMR-4198 (most economical), but when the 1980's powder drought came along, I switched to IMR-3031 and later to Winchester 748 and most recently to IMR-4064.

What I am most proud of is that I was able to develop the subsequent loads so they all had the same point of impact at 100 yards as the prototypical IMR-4198 load.