Anybody ever have a gun that slowly grew on them?

MLeake

old bear, my LGS had a 4" 581 a couple weeks ago. I'm not currently in the market for such, but it was kind of tempting.

Sevens

The 581's seem to be in short supply compared to the 586's... which seem to be in short supply compared to the ultra-popular 686. A 681, I don't know how rare it is, but I can say that I've not come across one.

If fixed sights are okay with you and the 581's price is right, don't let it get away. Nothing more costly than regret.

Hook686

The Desert Eagle XIX in .357 magnum. I really found ten rounds of .357 magnum in a heavy auto loader made a great night stand pistol. Switching it to an 8 round .44 magnum auto loader made a good holster carry when up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains fishing. It grew on me ... the comfort of the loading in an auto loader Vs. the weight of the pistol. Big hands help.

Qtiphky

Beretta 92

When I first got into pistols, many moons ago, I handled a number of different Berettas because "you have to have one of theses, they are the best thing ever" was all I ever heard and read. YMMV I know. But they just didn't feel right in my hand, maybe it was because I hadn't shot enough, small hands, whatever - I couldn't bring myself to buy one.

After 6 other pistols, on a whim this summer while I was buying a revolver for my wife, I handled a 92 FS compact. Big mistake! That trip to the store cost me more than I had budgeted for because it would not let go of my hand! Best mistake I have ever made by far. I love this gun - it must have been 15-20 years ago that I couldn't do it, but now I can't put the thing down. Depending on my clothing for the day, I either carry that or my Walther PPK/s and am never too far from it.

mrt949

My SEECAMP IN 32. Carried a few different styles of mouse guns over the years .In jennings , beretta ,keltec .j frame revolvers .But the SEECAMP took a little time to get comfortable with but now it is my main mouse gun.It's only a 32.but it goes all the time.

carsinc

Growing Guns??

Yep, sure do. Got a ol' Stevens .410. Had it since I was a lad of 8. That dang guns been growing on me for nigh on 60 years now. I figure by the time I'm 70 it'll be a 10 gauge.

Yep...My Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull

I originally purchased a Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt. But, there were some problems with it and to make good Ruger offered me a Super Redhawk .454 Casull. I was not thrilled but that is all they had in stock at the time to offer me. I pouted for a while. I thought they were ugly guns. My best friend calls it a clown gun. HOWEVER...it has grown on me. I like it. I love it.

It is incredibly versitile. With handloads or factory loads ranging from light-loaded .45 Colt to 360 grain .454 Casull, I can do whatever I need with it. It handles well. Absorbs the recoil sweetly. And, then couple it with a Guide's Choice Chest Holster from Diamond D Custom Leather http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/ and, it is a dream to tote.

bamaranger

Glock g20

I bought the G20 'cause I was interested in the 10mm and could not find a Colt Delta.

The Glock seemed big and clunky, the grip oversized, the trigger odd, and good grief, it was polymer space plastic! About as far from a Delta as one could get! But it launched the 10mm slugs accurately and reliably, and the trigger was an easy fix.

It was/is as reliable as a brick, and I had the tendency to "make" shots w/ it that I didn't think I could. It seemed to "hit" on its own.

It shrugged off use, abuse, mud, cold and just went on. I did not worry about scratches, or getting it soaked, dropped etc.

Pretty soon I realized it was going a lot of places w/ me.

swopjan

Remington 1858. I've just started collecting blackpowder revolvers (i had a pair and just bought two more, so now i must be a collector!) although i always thought 1858's were ugly as sin. The 1851's and 1860 will definitely get the first bites out of a target, but, the looks are starting to grow on me and with the price i got it for on sale, if i decide i really don't like it i'll break even selling it.

Besides, different guns make different people's hearts race, I may not be too fond of it but if someday some youngster takes a shine to it I wouldn't be too upset about it being somebody else's "first gun." Children are our future! :)

predecessor

Anybody ever have a gun that slowly grew on them?

Not yet - but I have a few that I'm hoping will grow on me.

Interestingly enough, while I don't like it so much for standing at a firing line and shooting targets, that gun is very, very nice for speed drills and for shooting on the move. Go figure.

I definitely have pistols that shoot better at speed and some that are better for slow-fire target shooting.

GM2

That would be all of my Smith & Wesson revolvers, had most of them for several years. Sorta like they are family members . :D

2damnold4this

For me it's two calibers rather than a particular handgun. I had little use for .38 special or .32 S&WL when I was younger. Now they are some of the most fun to shoot.