Anybody else displeased with the trend in American Hangunner's Ayoob Files?

spacemanspiff

Soooo, I can be sewn into my clothes? Hmmm, I could save maybe 30 minutes a day if I didn't have to bother with trying to put on socks and underwear around my rotund belly, not to mention taking them off. :D

Selfdfenz

I know Mr Ayoob is now watching this thread and I really don't care. I really enjoy his appearances on the show and the information he has to share.

My 12 year-old and I watch the show every chance we get & we both enjoy the historical perspective and the SD recommendations always seem well considered.

Best

S-

PS. spacemanspiff-I heard that!

S-

Socrates

Well, I can add to this. American Handgunner ran an article on the .500's, the .500JRH, .50@# and something else.

Turned out the most accurate was the BFR, in .500JRH, not the WE .50. American Handgunner chopped that little nugget out of their article...

Funny what happens in conflict of interests, when you have an advertizer, like Freedom Arms, paying a ton of money in advertizing.

Last edited:

OJ

I dunno but - he's making a living and, I guess, if he isn't liked by the majority, he's going to be out of a job. No one is forced to read him. Subscribe to the gun rag of your choice.

Personally, FWIW, I don't care what he writes - I can take it or leave it. Sometimes I think he is good and other times, it isn't worth reading.

YMMV

:D

clayking

I find his articles interesting and informative. I like 'em, recent or historical (maybe more). I know, why not do both each issue. And what's up with those bi-monthly issues, come on, two months is a long time to read one magazine.................................ck

mec

"The latest issue has an incident from several hundred years ago ..."

I really like that article. It galls me that nobody is making a replica wheellock that I can check out. Interesting that Leonardo Da Vinci had something to do with it though it's unclear whether he invented the gunlock or a precursor of the zippo. Wheellocks were a real cultural advance over the slow match. Wilbur Smith picked up on it in on of hiis many historical books set in Africa. He had one of his characters use one to surprise a pirate in one of books set in the 16th century.

Threefeathers

Mas, I just finished In the Gravest Extreme, in prep for the Oct LFI class. I'll show up with 2 H K's a notebook and be in good shape. I live 12 miles from Tombstone and a couple of years ago I had decendants of the Clantons and Texas Jack Vermillion in the same class. In fact, they played on the same football team. Life is indeed interesting.

Musketeer

Thank you for the response Mr. Ayoob. Just to clarify, I enjoy the majority of your writing and my intention was not to make a "tell him how to do his job" post. Mostly I was wondering if I was the only one with this feeling. Living in the heart of Anti land (Long Island) I do not get to speak with people on a daily basis about shooting issues so I use these forums as my outlet.

Certainly historical articles can teach us something and I am not opposed to them in the future. I just feel a little more on the modern side overall is more to my taste.

If you are looking for a historical situation with armed citizens fighting off bank robbers look up the history of Eureka Springs, AR. They had a running gunfight down main street with one of the bank robbing gangs of the depression that I remember reading about while living there years ago. Basically the BGs were recognized and multiple townspeople turned out armed to stop them. Since Eureka Springs is right next to Berryville, AR (think Wilson's) one could always research TWO articles on the same trip...

There is also the Saunders Museum in Berryville with just about every type of COlt revolver ever made, multiple historical pieces and an actual soap & black shoe polish special used in a prison break. Sorry for digressing.