any thoughts on 5.7x28 round?

benny27

I came across a Bass pro shop flyer in the mail the other day, and saw a (FNH-five seven) chambered in this 5.7x28 round, and I thought to myself I've never heard of this company or this round, it seems like an interesting gun. Does anyone have any experience with this gun, or this round? Thanks..:)

PSP

I'm dying to find out too! I just bought one yesterday, but my one local indoor range won't allow the round to be fired. :( Paid $700 for a very slightly used one and a few hundred rounds of 40 gr hollowpoint at $15 a box. Seemed like a good price, too good to pass up. All the write-up in gun-rags are good and word-of -mouth is almost all positive. I can't wait.

Moloch

As far as I know the round does a little bit over 2100 fp/s with a 40 grain projectile out of the pistol barrel.
I have a .22WMR 22'' rifle which fires a 40 grain projectile up to 2040 fps, so you can compare 5.7x28 with the .22wmr(out of a rifle). I am not sure what I would do with such a gun chambered in this rather odd caliber, it was made for law enforcement to punch multiple holes into ''objects with hard shells' , but for every day use its IMO not as good as the 9mm-.40S&W-.45ACP, accuracy wise its on par with the great three but its a lot more expensive. What do you want to do with it? The only excuse I would have to by the FN would be varmint hunting with a handgun, as the 5.7x28 shoots as flat as my .22wmr.

If you are from the small & fast camp I would suggest you to buy a Tokarev TT chambered in 7.62x25mm, it shoots a 89 grain 7mm (.30something) projectile in a necked-down 9mm case up to 1600-1850 fp/s and is known for very flat trajectory, impressive wound channel even with FMJ and astonishing penetration into very hard objects like sheet metal and even kevlar helmets. Today it is used as dangerous game backup-gun or woods handgun.
There is also TONS of that caliber available as milsurp and new ammo is dirty cheap. (even below 9mm level):D

Boris Bush

If you are from the small & fast camp I would suggest you to buy a Tokarev TT chambered in 7.62x25mm, it shoots a 89 grain 7mm (.30something) projectile in a necked-down 9mm case up to 1600-1850 fp/s and is known for very flat trajectory, impressive wound channel even with FMJ and astonishing penetration into very hard objects like sheet metal and even kevlar helmets. Today it is used as dangerous game backup-gun or woods handgun.
There is also TONS of that caliber available as milsurp and new ammo is dirty cheap. (even below 9mm level)

It is not a 9mm necked down. The case is 6mm longer. While it does a spectacular job on varmints upto coyote/largedog size. There is no way I would use it as dangerous game backup!

Try this link, it gives some good info. Penetration is between 9-10" and I have shot one. Almost no recoil, VERY flat shooting and VERY accurate.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/SS195 FMJ and SS197 ballistic tip (bare and heavy clothing).html

Moloch

It is not a 9mm necked down. The case is 6mm longer. While it does a spectacular job on varmints upto coyote/largedog size. There is no way I would use it as dangerous game backup!

Actually the largest grizzly ever taken was killed with a full magazine of 7,62mm TT rounds to the head/chest area. Cant remember if it was a Tokarev or the CZ-52. You might find it via google.

You would be impressed with its penetration ability and what that small bullet can do, its like a tad lighter .30M1 carbine round.

It is not a 9mm necked down. The case is 6mm longer.
Of course its longer to hold the long thin 7mm bullet, but its actaully a 9mm case necked down.

Sturmgewehre

I'm dying to find out too! I just bought one yesterday, but my one local indoor range won't allow the round to be fired.
My indoor range had the same policy when the FiveseveN's and PS90's first came out. I took ballistic data to them which showed all commercial ammo for the 5.7 out there has the same ballistics as a .22 Magnum. Once they realized that, they laughed and said "sorry" and I've been able to shoot there since.

Such policies regarding the 5.7 are borne out of ignorance about the cartridge. They think it's similar to a rifle cartridge because it looks like a mini-5.56. But when they realize a 22 Mag has similar ballistics they feel kind of silly.

Some might argue that it's designed to be "armor piercing" but when you explain the SS190 is restricted ammo that's not sold through commercial channels (you can't get it) they usually relax.

Boris Bush

Moloch

The case not the loaded round is 6mm longer. the 85 grain .310" bullet is short not .284" long and thin.

I own a CZ-52 and while the zippy 30 caliber not 7mm, ball ammo kills 'coons very fast, infact faster than anyother ball ammo I ever used on them, and afew yotes I would find it hard to use one on a deer or larger, maybe someday I will try a deer at close range, maybe. The hollowpoints are AWESOME killers but lack serious penetration and I would NEVER use them on deer if they have marginal penetration on little critters.

Moloch

Moloch

The case not the loaded round is 6mm longer.
Thats exactely what I was trying to say.

I own a CZ-52 and while the zippy 30 caliber not 7mm

The TT round is actually 7,62x25mm hence 7mm.
Maybe someday I will try a deer at close range, maybe. The hollowpoints are AWESOME killers but lack serious penetration and I would NEVER use them on deer if they have marginal penetration on little critters.

Doesnt an ammo manufacturer produce a 7,62x25mm with a pointed soft point bullet weighing close to 90 grains? That would be the perfect bullet for ''larger needs.''
But I have no doubt that the 7,62x25 could take deer at close range since the TT round is very close to the sectional density of a .357mag 154 grains, and its faster too which should help to get it better through ribs. If it really gets the penetration of the .357 154 grains (and it should) there would be no problem at all with a well placed shot.

copenhagen

As for FN- I love that company- they make the M240 G and the SAW that we use in the Marine Corps- they also make a few of the M-16s. Good high quality stuff. I personally own a PBR (Patrol Boat Rifle) from them, and I am in love.

As for the round... Not too much experience, but I read an article the other day in Special Weapons that said that the gun control activists have been trying to place it as an armour piercing round and make it illegal. It looked to be a pretty good round though from what else was said, though the only company that makes it as of yet is FN, so it will be hard to find in the event that chaos strikes us, and in the event that you want to target shoot it may proove pricey...

hypertex

It's a great defensive round because of the shock trauma caused by the bullet. Another plus is that the pistol being the size that it is minimizes the re-acquire time after a round is fired. Look around in fiveseven.com or ps90forum.com for LEO use in Texas(Houston?) where assailants were dropped after just one round hit.

Boris Bush

Moloch

you said

Of course its longer to hold the long thin 7mm bullet, but its actaully a 9mm case necked down.
Today 11:37 AM

If you neck down a 9x19mm to a 7mm you will have a 7x19mm. 30 tokarev is 7.62x25mm. You can NOT neck a 9x19mm to 30 caliber and call it a tokarev. it will not work.

Sectional density of a round means nothing. I have used my CZ-52 to actualy kill. Numbers on paper is far different from real world killing. I have never seen a 90 grain pointed soft point and I still wouldn't use it unless it could shoot through something as small as a 35 pound 'coon. Don't try and use gello a comparison to flesh. Pistol rounds penetrate alot more in gello.

The TT round is actually 7,62x25mm hence 7mm.

7.62mm is a .308-.310 caliber, 7mm is .284.

You quote my real life experience with speculation in tow. It just dont add up.....

take a look at this pic, not the best but it shows the difference in length.........

for those who might not know the case and loaded round on the left of the 2 pairs is the 9x19mm case.

Last edited:

10-96

Don't know much about the subject matter of the original post- but I'd like to see the ctg do well enough to chamber up in a 16" or 18" med/hvy bbl bolt gun. Would it upset the 22 Hornet roost a little?

While I'm dreaming, somebody convince me to neck the 6.8 SPC down to .243 or .223.

benny27

PSP, my local indoor range won't allow bottle neck ammo either, I guess due to the extra velocity. give us an update on how well the gun shoots, I'm always looking for something different to add to my little arsenal of weapons..:D, btw, how many rounds do the magazines hold for that gun? It seems like I read somewhere that they can hold up to 30 rounds, is this possible for a pistol? It seems to me this could be one badass gun especially in that kind of format...:cool:

geez768

seems like another solution to a problem that does not exist. But if punching holes in bullet proof vests is your game i guess its good. (not for me)

HorseSoldier

If you neck down a 9x19mm to a 7mm you will have a 7x19mm. 30 tokarev is 7.62x25mm. You can NOT neck a 9x19mm to 30 caliber and call it a tokarev. it will not work.

The relationship discussed is backwards in this thread.

7.63x25 Mauser produced two offspring directly: 7.62x25 Tokarev and Hugo Borchardt's 7.65 Parabellum (7.65x23). Borchardt later cut down his 7.65 Parabellum cartridge (basically just dropping the bottle neck), the result of which is 9x19/9mm Parabellum/Luger/etc.

So basically you could say that 7.62x25 Tok is a stretched, necked down 9mm cartridge, for whatever it's worth.

PSP

benny27 said,
PSP, my local indoor range won't allow bottle neck ammo either, I guess due to the extra velocity. give us an update on how well the gun shoots, I'm always looking for something different to add to my little arsenal of weapons.., btw, how many rounds do the magazines hold for that gun? It seems like I read somewhere that they can hold up to 30 rounds, is this possible for a pistol? It seems to me this could be one badass gun especially in that kind of format...

The explaination I recieved as to why the 5.7 is not allowed is that it produces ricochetes. His range, his rules. At least it is relatively cheap to shoot there. It is an older range and no rifle ammo is allowed...pistol only.

The pistol was purchased as much as a collectable as anything else. It's one of the many guns liberals hate and would ban if given half a chance. So...vote Republican, vote early and vote often.

The standard magazine does hold twenty rounds and a ten round extension is available for about $16 to make it a thirty round mag, (extends out of the mag well about two inches).

I'm hoping to go to a nearby Issac Walton range to try it out. I'll report back when I do.

buzz_knox

All the write-up in gun-rags are good and word-of -mouth is almost all positive.

Do a review of the threads on this and other forums and you'll find the word of mouth is not quite all positive.

Look around in fiveseven.com or ps90forum.com for LEO use in Texas(Houston?) where assailants were dropped after just one round hit.

Look on tacticalforums.com and lightfighter.net for a discussion of other incidents with far less glowing results.