Any pocket pistol advice?

ballardw

I would suggest trying to arrange an opportunity to actually fire one before buying.

An added plus for the Kel-tec P32 is the factory10 round magazine available and still pocket carry-able in many pockets.

gyvel

The only .32 or .380 "pocket" auto I would carry is an FN/Browning 1910. A little heavy, but no sights to snag, and it always works.

Plus you can change calibres by merely swapping the barrels, and all internal parts are interchangeable with the 1922 which are still relatively plentiful.

cc-hangfire

I own a Beretta Tomcat and owned a Kel Tec P32. As stated above, the P32 is the most convenient pocket carry gun I've ever owned and was easy to shoot as well. The Tomcat I use at the range - and my wife may take it one day (likely purse carry).

The only reason I sold the ap32 is that I carry EDC the Kel Tec P3AT; same size, a couple of ounces heavier, in .380acp, & I don't mind the extra recoil.

Kel Tec handguns are the Bic pens of the gun world; they push the envelope on simplicity, they work (may need break in & fluff and buff), and they don't impress anyone. Good tools though

Nathan

I carried a KelTec 32 for some time. It was a fine gun. Light, easy to shoot, fmj's were cheap enough.....

I traded it because I could get a Kahr CW380. The 380 is a way more effective caliber. The CW380 is the same size to me in the pocket. The CW380 shoots like a full size gun 186 Locust Curve Dr 5-10 yards. I have proven this with a timer. It has better sights.

dannyb

I had a Keltec .32acp, must have had one built on a bad day because it was never reliable. I sold it off when I sold off the Seecamps.

I posted that I carry a Beretta Pico. The Pico is .380 acp, very flat so it carries easily. It required about 25 rounds of real SD ammunition (I used Hornady Critical Defense) to break it in (stiff recoil spring set up) but then functioned flawlessly. I have not had either FTE or FTF in the 700 or so rounds that I've put through it so far.

Although it's actually a little heavier than the NAA that I used to pocket carry, its configuration is better. It sits flatter, doesn't interfere with the minimal other pocket contents; I use either a DeSantis Superfly or Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

I'll keep the NAA as a backup, but the Pico has gained top spot for me.

Bill DeShivs

Dannyb-
Never, ever carry anything in a pocket with your gun! That's how people shoot themselves. Also, things can get jammed behind the trigger or in the works of the gun-preventing it from working.

Bill DeShivs

BTW-
Neither the .32 or the .380 can stop a truly determined assailant without a central nervous system shot (nor can any other handgun caliber.)
If you make a good CNS shot, there is not one iota of difference between the calibers.
As far as someone "bleeding out," he can do a lot of damage in the minute or two it takes to bleed out. There is no practical difference between a .32 hole and a .380 hole.
The .32 generally has higher magazine capacity, is smaller, is easier to shoot well, has quicker follow up shots.
Bigger is not always better.

armedleo

Bill, I am glad you picked up on that. About six months ago a local cop was out to dinner with his family and while sliding out of the booth he reached into his front pocket for his car keys. BANG! Next is a call to 911 and Fire Rescue had to rush him to the ER. He'd shot himself piercing his (ahem...). Luckily only much embarrassment and some stitches. Oh, stitches not just in him but in the upholstery where he shot the booth.

Cheapshooter

Dannyb-
Never, ever carry anything in a pocket with your gun! That's how people shoot themselves. Also, things can get jammed behind the trigger or in the works of the gun-preventing it from working.
Another great advantage of the Kel-Tec is the optional pocket clip. Get the one for the opposite of what you would for pocket carry. Left handed for righties, right hand for lefties. Carry the little P32 nearly unnoticeable to you, absolutely undetectable to others, IWB at the small of your back. Especially if you want the use of both front pockets for other things.

Bill DeShivs

Geez! Don't carry anything in the small of your back, either. It's a great way to cripple yourself in a fall. Use the proper clip on a Keltec. It's not a pocket clip-it's a BELT clip- designed for inside waistband carry. Having a gun stuck backwards in the small of your back goes against conventional logic and smacks of "amateur." And it's dangerous in several ways. :rolleyes:

gyvel

Bill, I am glad you picked up on that. About six months ago a local cop was out to dinner with his family and while sliding out of the booth he reached into his front pocket for his car keys. BANG!

What... Did he have some plastic pocket auto cocked with no safety applied? Sounds like he really isn't qualified to have a firearm.

My 1910 Browning would have to have something move the manual safety off first, then have something with considerable force depress the grip safety, all the while with something causing the trigger to depress.

Been carrying it in my pocket (both legally and illegally before CCW) for more than 45 years, and have never even had the manual safety disengage unintentionally.

It's really a shame that FN discontinued it.

armedleo

I never got any details other than the keys set off the gun he was carrying in his pocket. Obviously the trigger guard exposed and no safety. Or, safety not engaged. But I never learned what kind of pocket carry, make, caliber, etc. I found it stupid and didn't think it warranted much consideration. As you said, "not qualified."

Cheapshooter

It's not a pocket clip-it's a BELT clip- designed for inside waistband carry.
It IS clipped to a belt, IWB, and is no different than anywhere elae around the circumference of your body!
Backwards? No, in the 6:00 O.Clock position, which small of the back is, it is easier, and much more natural to get a proper grip on the gun with the clip on the left side for a right handed person.
It is completely unsubstantiated to say the clip is for IWB carry, but then say it is amaturish if it is not carried at a position around the body you don't agree with. Where does your professionalism end, and amaturish behavior begin?
Apendix carry, 3:00 O'Clock, 4;00 O'Clock?

Bill DeShivs

SOB carry is universally known to be dangerous. Sorry you didn't get the memo. Now you know.
The gun should be carried (if you're right-handed) with the butt facing rear at 3:00. If you move the gun rearward 4-5:00, the butt should still be facing the same way. Never carry at 6:00 for the reason specified above.
Carrying a gun backwards requires you to sweep your body with the muzzle when drawing. Just because they do it that way in the movies doesn't make it correct.
People have been carrying guns for a long time and there are reasons things are done a certain way.

Lee6113

Currently I've got my eyes on getting a .32acp Seecamp or a .32acp 3032 Tomcat. So much for sticking to 9mm, haha. Probably gonna get the Tomcat first, but I'll be getting them both eventually.

DA/SA Fan

I don't have any need or desire to carry SOB, Bill, but I can see that while it is possible to sweep your body drawing from the small of the back, it isn't unavoidable. Actually, just thinking about it now for the first time I had to think twice about how I would get it to sweep my body.

dannyb

Ummm Bill,

You're right, carrying a pistol loose in the pocket is dangerous. I don't think that you caught the fact that I pocket carry with a HOLSTER. This is an important point in a thread discussing pocket carry. Probably also worth noting that carrying your change in the same pocket as the pistol is not a good idea.

Good pocket holsters are designed to cover the trigger to prevent that accidental bang, and the ones I use also cover the muzzle to assure no collection of trash or pocket lint. I put a cover over the muzzle gap in the DeSantis, the Uncle Mikes is essentially an inner pocket with tacky stuff around it to prevent it from being drawn with the pistol. In either case, there is no way of getting anything inside the trigger guard (requires proper holster fit) unless it's deliberate.