Any ladies shoot a 1911?

buckhorn_cortez

My wife has a Dan Wesson VBOB in .45 ACP (has thin grips), and shoots an STI DVC Limited in 9mm for action pistol. She has fairly large hands (about an 8 glove size) and has no problem with either gun.

Of the two, she prefers the 9mm because it's easier to control and the recoil in 9mm in the double-stack 2011 is minimal.

Vividia

OP - YES i am a woman, and YES i shoot 1911s. Ha ha am i the first of the fair gender to respond? FWIW i am 5'8" with what i consider average size hands. My impressions....

My first 1911 was a Colt Combat Elite. It came with the factory grips, the rubber sorta stippled ones with the front strap wraparound. I shot it well, but for some reason convinced myself the grips were too big for me. I swapped for thin profile rosewood stocks. Too thin. Put the pearce (i think) rubber front strap finger groove doodads on it, where the rubber wraps around behind the stocks. Funny, didn't shoot it as well after that. After a couple years, I just put the factory wraparound grip back on. Found i liked it best after all.

I have 2 S&W E series, and left the factory stocks on. I just like em that way. One is full-sized and other the 1911SC commander size. That 1911SC is my absolute favorite 1911, very well balanced IMO, and shoots a dream.

Fourth one is a 1943 or 44 Remington Rand 1911A1. No way would i change out those stocks LOL.

Tad_T

My 13 year old daughter does.

20160827_055424000_iOS.jpg

That is her Rock Island Full Size GI in .45 ACP that she is shooting. It is bone stock with the standard grips that came on it. She is 5'7".

Not doing too bad with it either.

20160827_054815000_iOS.jpg

This is her favorite shooting hat.

20160827_055448000_iOS.jpg

Mastrogiacomo

Thanks Vividia, well after everyone's input on thin grips vs standard on the 1911, I opted for standard so last week I ordered a pair from Wicked Grips, "We the People." It should look nice on my blued 1911 and I think it's appropriate given everything happening in my state with the AG and her crazy gun rulings. Thank you everyone again.

Laura

Gunslick

It's funny, my wife, well I guess it suck...can't stand guns, but she loves to shoot a 1911..really strange..she hates the noise and recoil and everything about it (she must really love me) but when the 1911 comes out she loves to shoot it. Its a great pistol to me.