Any ladies shoot a 1911?

Mastrogiacomo

I know this has been discussed by it's always men that respond. Do any ladies on the forum use a 1911 that can give me feedback on thin or standard grips? Which is more comfortable - are thin grips too thin or just right? Which do you prefer?

Laura

Boncrayon

Why shouldn't they? The front weight and comfort grip controls the recoil. With the proper front sighting, it will place the shot on target most every time. I know a less-experienced shooter who swore her first shot was on bulls eye! She was hooked on the 1911 there after!

xcc_rider

My daughter does... She likes the Hogue wraparound rubber grips with the finger grooves over my 43 yr old Pachmayr grips. They're standard thickness but the finger grooves help with her small hands.
20140327_112812.jpg

20140327_112634.jpg

I'm still working on her form...

Last edited:

1stmar

My wife does. I only have standard size grips but she has never complained about them. She probably has avg size hands for a woman.

Penn25

My wife does. I only have standard size grips but she has never complained about them. She probably has avg size hands for a woman.
Ditto with my wife. She shoots my 1911s and they all have standard grips and they suited us both.

Aloha

tallball

My daughter shoots mine in 9mm. My friend's daughter tried it out the other day, too. The weight seems to help them with retail. They both thought the standard grips were fine.

Targa

My girlfriend, fairly small hands, refers to my Colt 1991 as her baby. Yep, she has to get her own...:)

Jim Watson

My young friend R. has been shooting 1911s since her teens. She prefers the .45 but had to shoot 9mm when Dad didn't keep up on loading .45s.
She is married now, and with her husband who is assigned far foreign so she does not get to shoot IDPA with us.

Friend S. started out with a 1911 but shifted to Glock.

BigJimP

I have granddaughters ( from 12 - 22 yrs old ---- and some daughter in laws that are young adults / most have smaller hands... ) that shoot some of my 1911's in 9mm ( Kimber Tactical Pro II model, alloy frame, 4" barrel -with standard wood grips on it ) ...../ most of them do like the Kimber alloy frame 4" better than a Wilson Combat all stainless, 5" gun in 9mm that I have ( its width is fine, cocobolo grips on it ) ...but they prefer the lighter weight of the Kimber 4" over the Wilson 5" stainless.

Their 2nd choice out of my collection is a Sig 239 ...( Sigs older single stack, in 9mm ) with their standard poly grips on it ...a few of them prefer it over the Kimber in 9mm....and it tends to be smaller in the grip area too...

g.willikers

What ever happened to all those thin rubber grips with steel backing, like I use on mine?
I was going to recommend those, but they seem to have vanished.
The ones with the little cut out to help reach the mag release easier.
Lots of wood, aluminum, plastics, composites, 'etc, but no nice thin comfy rubber?

xcc_rider

" I know this has been discussed by it's always men that respond. Do any ladies on the forum use a 1911 that can give me feedback on thin or standard grips? "

Well I guess we blew that out of the water didn't we? :eek:

seeker_two

" I know this has been discussed by it's always men that respond. Do any ladies on the forum use a 1911 that can give me feedback on thin or standard grips? "

Well I guess we blew that out of the water didn't we? :eek:
Well.....maybe they're all identifying as female.....

ammo.crafter

1911`

Yup, as others have said, my wife has taken mine over...Colt Gov't model.\

Interestingly, she is not a fan of the 9mm round and says that that recoil is far more than the 1911.

The 9mm is in a Hi Power.

PoiDog

I have a Kimber that my wife considers to be hers. She does pretty well with it, too.

For what it's worth, she is considerably under 5 feet tall. Strong hands, though. She loves that thing.

I'm glad she's on my side. :)