Anthrax in the Mail ... Strategies?

schlickenmeyer

Was looking into the matter, saw a DNR warning NOT to burn carcasses of animals, as this would release viable spores into the air. It said bury in quicklime. Now, I would love to use anything acidic on junk mail, but that may be just a hair too far.
But seriously, don't burn letters..

-Wayne

Daniel

"Under appropriate meteorological conditions and with an aerosol generator delivering 1–10 micron particle-size droplets, a single aircraft can disperse 100 kg of anthrax over a 300 km 2 area and theoretically cause 3 million deaths in a population density of 10,000 people per km2."

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/bw/delivery.htm

Brett Bellmore

The good news is that it's not contagious, and the mail is about the worst way to spread it. The BAD news is they examined the Anthrax in Dashel's mail, and it had been properly processed, at just the right particle size, and was a particularly vicious strain. So there is some threat out there, it's not just some dummy who doesn't know what he's doing.

But to put it in context, about 20,000 people die each year from the flu; Had your shot yet?

Find the people doing this, and stake them out over a fire ant nest, but other than that, don't get in a panic.

westex

The worst thing I saw in the news story about Dashel and anthrax was that his 25 office staffers were being tested. :eek: And we wonder why our taxes are so high. Bet I could run Microsoft with 24 staffers and Bill Gates. :D

Dave R

Folks, I like the idea of microwaving your mail.

I would think that 2 mins on high would kill all spores.

Anyone know?

Do not leave unattended...

Coyote 6

What's the big deal! If you open a letter and there's some powder in it you...

1. Have it analyzed.

2. If it tests positive for anthrax you take some medicine.

3. Clean up the contamination.

4. Go on with life.

It's not as if antrax were some untreatable, virulently contagious disease for chrissakes!

And as far as Congress shutting down for a week, what a bunch of cowards. That's a clear demonstration of a lack of leadership when leadership is babdly needed.

Hastert should resign his position and somebody who doesn't wear panties should take over.

LoneStranger

Was listening to Chuck Harder the other day and he explained his simple system for decontaminating mail.
1. Stand envelopes on edge in disposable aluminum roasting pan of appropriate size.
2. Put in oven at 300F for one hour, paper burns at 450F.
3. Let cool overnight then open.

I have not checked his websites, computer acting up, to see if he has this listed. www.chuckharder.com

Sounded short, sweet, simple, and effective.

Nordikwolf

Gave this some thought...

Simple Cardbord box with a Clear Cover (Saran Wrap). Pair of Latex Gloves, letter opener.

If anything is discovered (or suspected), all materials are "quarantined" and still able to be reviewed by LEOs

Thoughts?

MrKandiyohi

I remember when people were purposefully snorting white powder up their noses.

Influenza will kill many, many more people than anthrax.

BTW, did you notice that the two people specifically targeted so far were good, old South Dakota boys? Maybe I'd better keep a low profile so that OBL won't notice me.

Keith J

What works, what doesn't

Microwave radiation will not kill spores unless you are able to get their temperature to 250 F. Spores are several orders of magnitude less than the wavelength and therefore, the spores are safe.

Gamma radiation WILL kill spores. Easily, effectively and cost-effective IF the US mail could get enough machines. Such machinery is available and in use in Europe for food.

An autoclave will work so a pressure cooker should also be quite effective BUT you letter would probably be damaged.

Ethylene oxide will work BUT its dangerously toxic and flammable.

No antibiotic will touch the spores until they start reproducing/growing.

Alcohol, peroxide, Listerine etc. are useless. Gloves help but washing with soap after contact is always a good idea. Masks will reduce the spore counts but only if they are .1 micron and fit extremely well.