Another wallpaper image (spider with a .22)

notbubba

I just watched Eight Leg Freaks.
Two questions for you guys that know about spiders.

How tough are they?

How hard would the ones in the movie have been to kill?

Nightcrawler

I giant spider would be pretty tough to take down with small arms fire. Arachnids have a very decentralized nervous system; there'd be a few, vital areas you'd have to aim for, or else you'd just piss it off.

Flame thrower would be better.

Better yet would be to nuke the site from orbit (my preferred plan of attack). I'd not care to actually go into the same state as giant human-eating spiders, muchless the same town. No, no, I'd let our friend the hydrogen bomb take care of that for me. :eek:

Jorah Lavin

Triad...

Well, since you brought up weapon toting felines try this. Viking Kittens

Thanks for the laugh. You know, I must have heard that song 2000 times, never had a clue what the words were.

-Jorah

PS: Oleg, a photo of some classic rifle with a python all wrapped around it might make a good cult image.

PaladinVC

Didn't Heinlein address the difficulty of killing arachnids with rifles in Starship Troopers? I seem to remember them eventually just gassing them to death or destroying the planets they lived on. As far as a plague of monsters, spiders would probably be among the worst. I'll take zombies any day; a 9mm JHP in the noggin and they're out of commision. Not so with spiders. Fire's good, but I seem to recall reading a post in another thread that wondered about that brief time between when you light it up and when it dies. Giant flaming spiders are definitely worse than giant non-flaming spiders. How far does the average flamethrower shoot? Maybe napalm is a better idea, or giant trained ferrets. They eat spiders, don't they?

Whew, my brain is over-oxygenated, and my synapses are firing randomly. Maybe I should start smoking.

Betty

Well, I couldn't wait any longer, so I went and got my furry friend today. Just fixed up his cage and put him in. He's a cutie - big fat pink toes and he's black with a bluish tint. He's small, about 3" - so he's got alot of growing to do.

The first thing he did was run up my arm. :)

He needs a name now.

Guns n' spider pics!
Guns n' spider pics!

Nightcrawler

You know what, Runt? You're creepy. :p

Good thing Oleg doens't have the same...em, affliction that I do. That might cause what you'd call relationshp strain.

As for a big spider running up MY arm, I think I'd have a panic attack. It wouldn't be pretty. Not as bad as I used to be, but I still can't handle them touching me. When they touch me, well, then the little hairy bastards have to die. Same thing as when they're in my house. If they're outside, they're fine. That's where creepycrawlies belong. They're in the kitchen disturbing my serenity, well, then we have problems.

I don't know why I developed arachniphobia. As far as I can recall, I've never been bitten by a spider in my life. I was never traumatized by one when I was little or anything. Snakes? No problem. Rats? *shrug*

But if I happen to notice a spider too close for comfort, and it suprises me, then instinct kicks in. It's weird. Apparently, it's a common affliction, though. And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one.

Betty

This is what I don't get....

Some of you big tough guys walk around with guns, ammo and knives and you clank when you walk, and you're scared of a cute fuzzy little spider? Sheesh. Wimps. :p

Nightcrawler

To quote Marcus from Babylon 5: "I'm not afraid of anything! Well, spiders..."

And all because it's smaller than you doesn't mean it can't hurt you. Arabian Camel Spiders are smaller than me, I suppose. That might comfort you until it eats a hole in your face while you're sleeping!

:eek:

At least I'm honest. In all of my thousands of posts on TFL, I have never once claimed to be either brave nor tough...;)

Nightcrawler

The Horror!

Oh yeah, ou think you're so durn tough, Runt? Look at this here attachment, and KNOW the face of horror!

Attachments

• disturbing.jpg
    disturbing.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 90

slavex

nuking the spiders from space wouldn't work, they'd just get bigger! same as all the other creepy crawly's affected by the radiation. I mean come on haven't any of you been to Nevada? I know when I drove through I had giant spiders and stuff chasing me! Of course it may have just been sleep depravation?

animals with guns eh?

Skunkgun%20005.jpg

Betty

$15 at the Aquatic Critter in Nashville.

Are those real skunks - because that one at the bottom looks like he's got a cord coming out of his rear..?

slavex

I just went and looked at the spot where I took the photo, and I cannot figure out what that is that appears to be sticking out of Sams ass. And yes they are real, Samson and Damsel, 30lbs and 11lbs. Descented and awesome pets. Had to use cheese to get them interested in the gun.

freeride21a

tell us more about them... I've always wanted pet skunks, but in kalifornia, as usual, anything cool is illegal, including ferrets(why i dont know, they are not wild animals, they are a human creation crossbreed)

I had a sugar glider for a while, they are cool pets also.

spacemanspiff

8-legged freaks..

i have yet to watch this, but based on a spiders anatomy, they are quite fragile. even the largest spiders (such as the goliath birdeater, see attached pic) may weigh only a few ounces.

there are two types of tarantulas: Arboreal and Terrestial. arboreals are climbers and rarely will spend any time on the ground. they are found in trees, and spend almost all their time in their homes, waiting for prey to come to them. terrestials are ground dwellers, and will usually dig a burrow out for a home. sometimes terrestials will try to climb, but they risk death from a simple fall of even a few inches. their bodies will break apart easily, especially at the conjunction of their abdomen to their carapace. their legs can fall off as well. the legs may grow back slowly with each molt. but they have no coagulents in their blood, so any rupture in their skin will result in them bleeding to death. in captivity it may be stopped by applying a sealant, such as vaseline to the wound to stop the bleeding.

as far as giant spiders, they may be difficult to stop if you cant shoot them in what passes for 'brains'. their skin acts like an exoskeleton as they have no bones just like a crab or lobster. but a crab or lobster must have a harder shell to survive being underwater.

their poison is a paralyzing substance, administered by their fangs. the goliath birdeater will grow fangs over an inch in length.
if you were attacked by a giant spider ala 8 legged freaks, i'd say you should be able to break off their legs with your bare hands. but they would be fast and strong as well. most spiders however hate water, so a firehose may be a good way to fend off an attack from a 5 foot high spider.

http://www.wcsscience.com/biggest/spider.html

MarineTech

I can live with lizards, snakes, rats, and even (gasp) liberals on occasion. I draw the line at bugs. Don't know why, but anything with more limbs than I have falls directly into my "Things to be stomped on repeatedly" category.

I like my pets fuzzy, warm, and in the mammal kingdom.