Another stupid poll. Most overrated handgun?

Most overrated Handgun?

• Glock

Votes: 111 48.7%

Votes: 43 18.9%
  • Beretta

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Sig

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • HK

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Springfield

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • S&W

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Ruger

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Kahr

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BobK

Ok, I know another poll but I think this will be interesting. Vote and explain why. This is not meant to bash each other. So, if some of you take offense, just remember it's only a poll and an opinion is being expressed.

BobK

Ok, I voted for Beretta. Why? Because everyone thinks they are so great just because the military has them. I had a 96FS and a CZ 75. The CZ was a better gun.

ribbonstone

Voted 1911. Consideering everything the "experts" claim has to be done, it's just flat amazing we aren't all speaking German.

SD_Chop

i voted other and here is why. I like most of those pistols. I have good experience with glock, 1911, springfield. S&W, well as for revolvers they always work, and their autos, family member just picked up a sigma series and its pretty good so far. Dont have much experience with the others, hk none but heard great from friends, beretta is a meh, my friends are local pd and they didnt like them. So for my other i chose kel-tec. I was surprised when i joined how much attention they got, maybe im wrong but from experience they seemed to be junk. My buddies 9 jammed everyother mag, and it was clean and everything. My old man said the same thing from his friend, always jamming, cand load round from mag yada yada. So i think from these boards they are over rated. My 2 cents :D

Crosshair

I'd have to list Glock. Sure they are neat handguns. When they came out, they where the only show in town. Now they are nothing special. Glock was the Model T of the polymer handgun. Now they have been surpassed by other makes and models who have brought other features to the market. Manual safeties, polymer 1911s, the XD series is a good example of modern inovation and blending of features. I see Glock as being stuck in the past and staying glued to a basic design that is modded to fit the desired use. They need to inovate or they will be passed by with the competition. They may have the LE sales in alot of areas, but they cannot rely on just that sourse of income.

Chaingunner

Glocks! Everything I read, everyone I talk to, every advertisement I see is glock this, glock that, blah blah...I've shot two different Glocks and didn't like either of 'em. Give me a good, heavy, substantial metal gun (beretta, 1911, revolvers, whatever!) any day before you hand me a chunk of plastic from Austria, thanks.

That being said, if I could vote for two guns, the other would be any 1911. C'mon. They're good. We know. BUT most of the basic models also jam and FTF every few mags, too (anyway, they do if they're rented...I've only had ONE rented 1911 work without a hitch)...

RsqVet

Kahr --- the quality, engineering and customer service are not there, yet many speak glowingly of them --- I look at them like the old AMT, maybe you get a good one, maybe not.

gac009

I am not impressed at all with Kel-Tek.

GLOCKS are good, Ive shot one and it wasnt half bad. I like poly guns just fine but people seem to think that they are the end-all-be-all of reliabilty. My first time going to to the range I had a friend show off to me how dirty his GLOCK, after bragging about how he only has to clean it once a year "because its a GLOCK". He had this huge smug smile on his face like he telling me how he got the Govt to pay his taxes or sumthing. Ofcourse his gun jammed on him twice with less than 100 rounds through it. I out shot him too, he only shoots a few hundred rounds a year though.

I voted 1911 though. I always hear about the ones that wont work at all and then the ones that work just fine after you get the perfect mag and load or you only had to replace the springs or the extractor on it for it to work right and I think that even the ones that work right diddnt work right. For a gun that needs a "reliaiblity package"/parts replacement out the box or need to be $1,000+ custom jobs just to shoot, extract and load I dont get the popularity. Ive heard all about the "soul" and "balance" and "history" and whatever else reason people give but to me it all sounds like a bunch of fanboyism. Comfortable and attractive but HIGHLY OVERRATED.

Before you flame me my next purcahse will be a $500 SA 1911A1 .45 Mil-Spec.

Last edited:

maas

gott mit uns ribbonstone
of corse you all know what i voted for. you know the one that looks like it was inspiered by a water gun and is made out of the same material too.

BLKLABMAN

Beretta 92FS(M9). Some people think they are "cool" because the military uses them. I did not like them when I was in the service(USMC), and I do not like them now. Oversized 9mm with mid 80's technology based on a pistol from the early 1900's. The open slide design, let's every bit of filth in. This is very true, on a desert road march/patrol. Afterwards the slide would be locked so tight you would have to bang it open. Some people carried their Beretta's, wrapped in plastic bag's. This of course, defeated any notion of getting them up and going quickly. The civilians, and Federal personel who carried H&K USP's, Glock's, and Sig's did not have this problem.

Jart

"Overrated", to me, implies a degree of loyalty that flushes out hoards of defenders should anyone have the temerity to criticize the product. Usually, but not always, the handgun in question will cost less than average thus fanning the flames of the faithful.

Most overrated:

1. Makarov
2. Bersa .380
3. Hi-Point

There will be no shortage of posters complaining about any of the brands (and model) in the poll. It's a lot harder finding knocks on Makarov and Bersa.

The Hi-Point is a relatively recent addition to my list of overrated handguns based on the fan base finally reaching critical mass hereabouts.

:)

iamkris

People who flame 1911's are pretty funny.

Here we have a design that was designed almost 100 years ago that is still going strong. Most of the other designs on the list have had the benefit of that almost-century to learn and incorporate the lessons into the design.

But you have to put on beavertails, lower the ejection port, flare the ejection port, throat the barrel, blah blah blah to get them to work they say. If you look, most (not the straight Mil Spec copies) already incorporate all this "custom" work. That's just the century catching up and updating old slad-sides.

But they don't run reliably, you have to tune them they say. I've owned plenty of 1911's and they all have digested anything I've fed them. I've owned plenty of other designs that have choked. You ever think that the reason you hear so many not feeding are because there are so many out there? Law of averages says you're going to hear of a few.

But you have to tune the trigger they say. No, make that "you can tune the trigger"...not easy with most other designs.

Is it perfect? Absolutely not. However, if we had a car designed a century ago that could even remotely compete with the current crop...even current economy cars...we'd all be crowing. A 1956 Buick...even with updated suspension, engine, electronics...couldn't hold a candle in handling, power, comfort, reliability to a new Honda Accord (or fill in the blank with your own generic car). The fact that the 1911 is still around...and still innovating...is simply amazing.

GMorel1916

I voted other and its Kel-Tec. I have never seen one that worked right and they just feel like junk to me. But YMMV.

Greg

invention_45

I voted "other" because I haven't owned enough guns to have an objective opinion on most.

I have owned a Beretta Cougar 8045 and a H&K USP45.

To me they're the same (not in construction, but in shooting characteristics)
except for one difference. The Cougar seemed a "smoother" gun. There were fewer controls and things sticking out the sides to snag on clothing and holster leather. When I sat down with the Cougar in my IWB holster, I was rarely stabbed by the hammer like I am with the USP45 on occasion.

I never thought I'd be a 2-gun guy, but I like my USP45 and if I ever see a decent Cougar 8045 again I'll buy it.

The Cougar was sold to me more than me buying it, because at the time I didn't know squat about guns. Part of the sales pitch was its use in the military. I also happen to like its appearance. I like the USP's appearance as well. It wasn't the deciding factor, though. I've heard the USP45 can be fed nearly anything without a jam. I took a course that involved training for clearing jams, and it became clear to me that not jamming is a very important aspect of a gun.

So while both these guns are pricey (to my wallet, at least), I don't consider them overrated. If my H&K ever jams, I'll change my mind.