Another Friend Has Left This World

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Six years ago today, hogdogs joined our community, here at TFL. Not quite a year ago, we asked him to moderate the Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum.

A simple country boy, whose passion for hunting and a life with rifles and shotguns, immediately endeared him to some of us.

Yet his (most often) low-keyed demeanor belied a genuine interest in our community. I'm sure I'm not the only friend he had here. Brent couldn't be prouder bearing the title, "Redneck!" He gave the ephitaph the sort of honor you would never suspect, in todays world.

For those that didn't know, today, Brent lost his battle with cancer. My own life has dimmed, with his passing. Yet I am better for having been counted as his friend.

Brent's dad sent us the following:

Brent lost the battle today at 3:12 PM in ICU at Sacred Heart. He had a great doctor and the lead nurse was especially awesome. After a conference this morning, we opted for the doctor's "Most comfortable departure" plan. For what it is worth; that last downhill slide that is a part of an event like this, was rapid, and with great medication, as pleasant as possible for him.

. . .

Brent will be buried where he most wanted to. It is a "Nature Conservancy", properly natural, and by having a cemetery the landowner can keep government from working to take it from him Brent lived across the street from it and often talked of the concept of it, i.e. natural, no embalming, no "forever" caskets, etc. Brent will be buried with his favorite, very old, now departing dog, wrapped in "their" favorite blanket. The plot that I looked at today looked like a great place to just squat and wait for deer.

May you rest in peace, Brent R. Caryl Sr.

Damn hate to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are going out to his loved ones. He will be truly missed. He was one of those people that truly made you a better person for knowing him. I always liked his answers and he had the respect and demeanor that you would expect from a moderator. It truly brought tears to my eyes to hear he is being buried with mans best friend. Rest in Peace my friend. You will be missed but not forgotten.

Chad

Sarge

My condolences to all who loved this man. He struck me as a fine fellow, though I only knew him through here. May he find peace in the arms of the Lord.

JimmyR

May his friends and loved ones find peace in his passing. His struggle is over, his fight finished.

RIP

leadcounsel

I never met him, but that is terrible.

I've lost loved ones to cancer, and it's a terrible thing. One day we'll beat cancer.

BigJimP

This is sad news indeed....I only knew him thru the Forum ....but he was an easy guy to like ! My best to his family !

Willie Lowman

I am thankful for the conversations I had with him. He was a good man and although I never met him in person, I am sad to see him go.

markj

He was a straight shooter, knew his shotguns too. I think I will keep the mossberg 500 I got at teh gun show, was thinking of selling it, he was a huge mossy fan.

God Speed.

Chad.C

Although i didn't know him but I'm sorry to hear what happened cancer is a horrible thing at least he is in a better place now

Lee Lapin

I'm glad I had the opportunity to know him, even if only at this electronic remove. We are diminished by his passing...

Hawg

I hate to hear of his passing. He will truly be missed. Condolences to his friends and family.