Another DUPe report: Man eaten by bear

HiBC

There is a northern settlement that gets a lot of polar bear traffic. It might be Churchill. I'm just vaguely recalling watching a documentary,maybe Nat Geo.

There was some bear/human conflict . A bear had to be dispatched.

As I recall,the rifle used by the Ranger was a 308. One shot did the job.

Don't get me wrong,I'd prefer a .375 H+H myself.

But with knowledge of anatomy,and precise shot placement.a proper bullet at moderate 2400 to 2600 fps only has to find a path to central nervous system.

I get it,in a sudden melee,thats easier said than done.

But in the context of a pro under semi controlled conditions,its not all about the "Big Gun"

ghbucky

Here is the part where we get the obligatory:

World record polar bear for years was taken with a single shot 22 lr rifle by Bella Twin.

HiBC

Well,ghbucky, I've had the experience of being in AK,200 river miles fromthe nearest road ,when in the early dawn hour my former spouse,in the tent beside me,woke me up with " Don't let the bear bite me again"

He took a chunk of her butt. I opened the tent door and his head was in the door. I hit him in the face.

He backed up for a little bit,but then he came again. He ignored a warning shot.
He was coming toward me. I had one hurt person and we were 200 river miles from the road.

This bear was not leaving,so I killed him. The airline did not let me fly with ammo so I bought generic 12 ga Foster slugs in Fairbanks,

It took two shots as the soft lead failed to penetrate when I took out his lower incisor teeth with it. Nose to tail he was 6 ft 6 in.

Thats my bear killing experience.

Now,how about YOURS ?

ghbucky

HiBC, I have no bear experiences. I wasn't trying denigrate anybody's choices with dealing with bears, I was simply stating a historical fact.