Another bump in the night question: Ammo Capacity Vs Caliber

CMichael

I am pondering which handgun to take in case of a "bump" in the night I want to investigate.

I have a Glock 34, which has 17 for the mag, or I have a few .45s with a capacity of around 8.

What should I go for:

More ammo capacity or higher caliber?

Thank you,

Don P

First thing I would be concerned with is hitting what I have aimed at. If that can't or isn't accomplished then caliber is a moot point. Both will work and do the job "IF" you do your job

Buzzcook

If you're concerned about power, get a .50mag. If you're concerned about capacity, why stop at 17 when there are handguns with 30 rounds?

TheBigO

I am a capacity guy- improvments in ammo have closed the gap between 9mm and 45acp enough for my liking.

JerryM

For a bump in the night I cannot imagine needing more than 6-8 rounds. I have never heard of an extended gunfight inside a house that was occupied. I guess a drug house might be an exception, but when shooting started I am persuaded the BG would want to put distance between himself and the house.
Jerry

mo84

I would rather have to many bullets than not enough when I need them. Go with the high cap.

Like most threads similar to this, I believe a home invasion is unlikely to need an armory to defend against. I'd be out there with either my .357 snubbie (6 shot) or my shotgun (7 shot), even with a compact .38 5 round I honestly would feel I had more than adequate firepower. It's more what you will do than what you have power or capacity-wise.

CMichael said:
More ammo capacity or higher caliber?

You know, I once had the privilege to listen to a discussion between a cop and a military guy who had both been in multiple gunfights with pistols and shot and killed people.

The cop liked higher caliber. The military guy liked higher capacity. They weren't able to agree on the point other than to acknowledge that choice of pistol/caliber was way down the list of things that contributed to a successful outcome.

Deaf Smith

Amateurs think equipment,
Students think techniques,
Experts think tactics.

Amen Glenn!

But what is the person who thinks 'strategy'?

As in avoiding or making situations one is presented with daily favor oneself before any fight?

See I'm a B.H. Liddell Hart guy;-)

As for the capacity .vs. caliber or power or whatever, use the largest caliber you can control well and spend more time on making whatever is in the weapon do what is needed and don't worry so much on capacity.

Deaf

Glenn E. Meyer

Me too! I studied Lidell Hart in Military History from a Major General/PhD who was head of the Hungarian Military Academy and had to flee from the Communistis in 1956.

Great prof and course!

kinggabby

I would personally go with what ever is closest to me at the time be it my SW9VE or my 7 shot 357 revolver. The way I figure it is that at a time like that you don't have a lot of time to decide. Just grab and go. Then run and gun .

Catfishman

When it comes to preparing for individual security….
Quote:
Amateurs think equipment,
Students think techniques,
Experts think tactics.
I would expect an expert to consider all 3 equally. Any one of the 3 relies on the other 2.

Doc TH

With handguns, shot placement is the most important factor in stopping a gunfight, as has been shown by many large metropolitan police databases of shootings.
If you feel better with high capacity, that's fine, but I can't imagine needing 17 rounds in a home invasion scenario.

dyl

An interpretation of that parable:

Amateurs think of equipment because they don't have any yet!
After the new gun smell wears off and dry firing/loading the empty mag into an empty gun/dropping the slide gets boring the thought occurs.. "maybe I should try shoot this thing. Let me find some boo-lits for my clip"
And experts: well, the arthritis puts a little damper on things. But my mind and my mouth still move pretty fast! :D

(note: NOT an expert...yet)

Deaf Smith

I would expect an expert to consider all 3 equally. Any one of the 3 relies on the other 2.

Yea, but Bill Hickok still used cap-n-ball .36s while everyone else migrated to cartridge guns and he still shot those guns one handed and really really well. And I guess you could say he was a expert.

By the time you are an 'expert' you will have discovered most serviceable fighting weapons will do and all those bells and whistles don't matter all that much. And you've figured out one does not need a huge variety of techniques as long as you are skilled (study Miyamoto Musashi and see why).

Then tactics and strategy will be more of your concern.

Deaf

C0untZer0

I can understand if people are on a budget and they need a gun to be their Self Defense, HD/nightstand gun/car gun, hiking camping - everything gun.

But if people have money, and they're serious about home defense, and they're not just buying firearms because they're fun and cool - somewhere along the line they should have picked up a shotgun instead of buying yet another handgun.

If someone breaks into my house I don't want to be exchanging fire with them to the tune of double digit shots.

A shotgun is a way way more effective weapon. Anyway you look at it, its way more effective. When you're using shot you're creating multiple wound channels, and if you're of the philosophy of big 45 and 50 caliber projectiles are good - then a 70 caliber slug shoul dbe better.

So instead of asking "Which should I be using, a 44 Magnum with 6 rounds or the Five Seven with 20 rounds?" The question should be "Should I use 00 Buck, #1 Buck, #4 Buck ???"