Another AR trigger question

kymasabe

It's time for me to buy another new trigger. Had been a while, so thought I'd ask the collective on what's new and good these days. I'm trying to stay under $150.00 is possible, but not a deal breaker. I've been using HiperFire EDT triggers in the past, but recent reviews of them haven't been great. I'm a single stage trigger kinda guy so while LaRue makes great triggers, I'm just not into 2-stage. I've tried the JMT Saber and the PSA drop in triggers, hated them both, returned both. I'm considering the CMC 3.5lb or maybe the Gadson Flag gen2 by Rise...but not sure. Both have decent reviews but my experience with drop-ins hasn't been great.
Lastly, it's gotta be comfortable, no sharp edges. I despise Schmid-made triggers that everyone uses (ALG, PSA, RightToBear, TomsTactical and more). Big fat meaty fingers and pointy/sharp triggers don't pair well, is why I'm usually running CMMG, Anderson, or Hiperfire triggers. So, while trigger comfort makes me sound like a , it's a factor I consider when buying.
So...any trigger suggestions ?

zukiphile

TriggerTech has some cassette triggers on sale for $100. They get nice reviews and the roller bearing technology is interesting.

Do you dislike your EDTs?

There almost have to be a lot of poor reviews on those by people who aren't 300 rounds into the trigger when they leave the review.

LeverGunFan

I'm happy with my HiperFire EDT DM, if it ever needs replacement I'd buy another. Also not a fan of the cassette or drop in style triggers. If the the HiperFire has worked for you why not stay with it?

DubC-Hicks

When it comes to single stage triggers, Wilson Combat TTUs are my favorite so far. But I like a curved trigger.

I do have a Triggertech Duty 2 stage flat trigger in a precision build, and it is excellent for the price. Great crisp break, and the shoe is very comfortable. I'd expect their single stage to be excellent as well.

Shadow9mm

This will be kinda out in left field. But i have had good luck with the jp enhanced reliability spring kits from midway on mil-spec triggers. The spring kits only cost about $11 and generally take a junk mil spec trigger to a petty cleam 4.5 to 5lb pull.

Never been a fan of cassette triggers. If something goes wrong, or they get dirty, theres no way to clean, lubricate, or repair them. Only exception i know of would be the elftman triggers, but they run about $250, a fair bit over your budget.

Last edited:

imashooter

Have several brands and price-ranges. Have my (now old) 24C on a M&P 22 which has a few thousand rounds through it. Use the light spring. Has been perfect. I have a few SSEs which are very good. One Rise RA-140 which is ok for an entry-level. one Timney which I categorize and same as the Rise. IMO, my best buys have been my CMCs. Have both flat and curved. Smooth, crisp break, 3ish pulls. Good value.

Went through hell with the Rise. Couldn't get it to fit a DPMS Oracle. Finally, a forum member (elsewhere) was aware of the problem and showed me where some material needed to be removed. That took care of the problem. In the interim, I had multiple comms with Rise who ultimately admitted to fitment issues with 2-3 brands of ARs. No more or their products for me. Additionally, they have set screws in the bottom of the cassette. Along with all the BS, 1 of those 2 screws stripped out.

Nathan

I think you will find Rise Armament make a very nice trigger for about $100 or so.

Mine breaks at 3lbs. It is about as light and crisp of a rapid fire style trigger as I want. I find 2 stage hard to shoot this way and std triggers too heavy and too much creep.

@WmMummy What makes an aftermarket trigger more than $ or $$? It is all in the trigger feel. The components of which are take up, pull and overtravel. Adjusting those 3 at the manufacturer are what make the value.

For example, most std triggers have zero take up, a very long, rough, gritty like a gravel driveway, heavy like 6lb pull. Overtravel also is excessive will a shot jarring stop.

Something like the Rise has no take up. It has about 1/3 to 1/2 the pull length. That runs about 3-3.5 lbs. The pull is smooth and relatively crisp. Overtravel stops right after break. It has no adjustments therefore increasing reliability…..it just is good……but not great. That said, in a fighting rifle, I don’t want great.

kymasabe

This will be kinda out in left field. But i have had good luck with the jp enhanced reliability spring kits from midway on mil-spec triggers. The spring kits only cost about $11 and generally take a junk mil spec trigger to a petty cleam 4.5 to 5lb pull.

Never been a fan of cassette triggers. If something goes wrong, or they get dirty, theres no way to clean, lubricate, or repair them. Only exception i know of would be the elftman triggers, but they run about $250, a fair bit over your budget.
I do run their enhanced reliability spring kit in my CMMG and Anderson fire control groups. The springs provided with the Hiperfire triggers are already excellent and don't need to be replaced with the JP's. Kaw Valley makes a spring kit too, but they feel too weak to me, so I stick with the JP's.

MarkCO

JP kits are a good intermediate step.

Actually though, cassette triggers are EASIER to clean and lubricate. Pop them out, flush and lube, back in play. They also tend to last longer than mil-specs, especially ones that have been ground on. JP triggers, which are some of the best, last about 15K before needing to be rebuilt. My AR-Gold is well over 50K and not a single issue.

Other than needing to be taken out and reinstalled, I've never had a problem with any trigger except a Hiperfire and a Rise. Both went back and they refunded me.

CMCs are good and reliable and I typically suggest those or POF (especially for PCCs) to customers. I have more than half a dozen brands, and they are all fine. It's not really even Ford or Chevy, but more likes just picking the trim level on one or the other. Cost is not an indicator of longevity either.

Shadow9mm

JP kits are a good intermediate step.

Actually though, cassette triggers are EASIER to clean and lubricate. Pop them out, flush and lube, back in play. They also tend to last longer than mil-specs, especially ones that have been ground on. JP triggers, which are some of the best, last about 15K before needing to be rebuilt. My AR-Gold is well over 50K and not a single issue.

Other than needing to be taken out and reinstalled, I've never had a problem with any trigger except a Hiperfire and a Rise. Both went back and they refunded me.

CMCs are good and reliable and I typically suggest those or POF (especially for PCCs) to customers. I have more than half a dozen brands, and they are all fine. It's not really even Ford or Chevy, but more likes just picking the trim level on one or the other. Cost is not an indicator of longevity either.
Never heard of a trigger needing to be rebuilt. Thats a new one to me. Guess i figured the parts were so hard, and there was so little pressure they would never really wear out. Had to replace a hammer on a friend's gun years back. It was a build with unknown parts, was firing on trigger release on its own. Tried to destroy the hammer, hack saw and file both skated off it. But all parts wear in time, rather foolish of me in hindsight.

kymasabe

Well, I was really tempted to buy a CMC...found some good sales...but I caved and stuck with what I know. I bought another Hiperfire EDT. I've owned the Sharp Shooter (which worked great and felt good), the Heavy Gunner (which felt heavier and grittier, wasn't thrilled with it), and decided to go with the Designated Marksman this time. We'll see how it goes.
Thank you all for your input, I really do appreciate it !

rickyrick

My last lower, I was tempted to get a CMC, I tossed the idea around for a bit.
I finally decided to try the LaRue MBT. It’s a 2stage, so not within the OP’s specs. I found the wide surface on the bow to be a bit odd

Shadow9mm

My last lower, I was tempted to get a CMC, I tossed the idea around for a bit.
I finally decided to try the LaRue MBT. It’s a 2stage, so not within the OP’s specs. I found the wide surface on the bow to be a bit odd
I found the wide trigger to be odd as well, but have really come to love it. Everything else feels too skinny now.

MarkCO

Never heard of a trigger needing to be rebuilt.

I've rebuilt quite a few. Most were replacing springs, some a sear or hammer. Many were on other's guns are a match after they failed. There are a few folks out that that "do trigger jobs" on mil-spec parts. That makes them wear faster as the surface hardness has worn off. Light hammers and light springs make for a narrower window of reliability.

ballardw

I found the wide trigger to be odd as well, but have really come to love it. Everything else feels too skinny now.

Two-and-a-half years every school day I fired 50 rounds or so from a Remington 40X .22 with my high school rifle team. Then I went to basic training and was introduced to an XM16E1 (on the receiver) in 1974. Skinny trigger and felt like a squirt-gun as it practically never seemed to "break", at least compared to the 40X...

stagpanther

I probably run every trigger mentioned here--and then some; I have lost track of how many different ones I have. Because of the disconnector and sear engagement surfaces and the hammer reset on the trigger shelf--that's what I like to call the front part of the trigger that the hammer resets upon--when you get the grinding stone out and start polishing those surfaces it's going to change the geometry and functioning of the trigger. You might even surprise yourself with a fully automatic mag dump (don't ask how I know).

Interesting nobody mentions Geiselle triggers. I run a couple of adjustable JPs and they are excellent--but for all-around long term reliability in a "traditional" format I'd still give the nod to Geiselle.

Just my personal experience--but other things come into the picture when talking about trigger functionality and reliability. Some triggers are made with a narrow profile--but can be functionally vulnerable to slight shifts in the trigger pins holding them in the fire control well. Others might have springs or pins contacting the floor of the receiver's floor which adjust the angle of the trigger--but these can be vulnerable to pile up of debris inside the receiver (how many people are going to pull the trigger out when doing a field cleaning?). I once had a stoppage and found a blown primer lodged under the trigger.

MarkCO

Interesting nobody mentions Geiselle triggers. I run a couple of adjustable JPs and they are excellent--but for all-around long term reliability in a "traditional" format I'd still give the nod to Geiselle.

I have one in my Stag based 6.5CM, .308Win. :D I like it just fine.

rickyrick

My favorite trigger, actually but I can’t remember if they were in the OP’s budget