Another 870 express chamber prob...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Junior took his Express super mag to a buddy's place to run some fire and lead down the pipe...
I never said a word about a possible chamber issue... didn't want to taint the opinion.
He said "we wuz on our way back and i seen some birds to shoot... I shot and the sucker wouldn't open to eject a shell." I told him, "Yep we will *FLITZ* the chamber..."
I said folks had posted that they felt like they would need to bounce the butt on the ground to open the action... He told me he felt that was what he would have to do. So I guess these high dollar express guns ain't as refined as a Mav 88 mossberg.
But oh well, junior likes the remmy shotty (just to miff the proper folks)...
Brent

xm21

That is funny,my friends highly refined Maverick 88 had to be polished to feed the Fiocchi target loads that the skeet range sells.

TangoMcBlasty

I feel ya, Brent.

My shooting buddy and I both own newer 870 Express shotguns and my girlfriend uses her grandfather's Wingmaster when we go shooting clays. I'm not sure if it's because the WM has been cycled tens of thousands of times more than the newer guns, but its action is way more refined. Also both my buddy and I have experienced the often-mentioned extraction/ejection issues with our Express guns but the Wingmaster cycles like a champ. Again, not sure if that's because it's better made or just well broken in.

If it helps at all, I notice that the problem is sensitive to the type of ammo you use. Brass shells tend to work better than steel. I also have better luck with Remington brand ammo (go figure).

Pahoo

Strange !!! ... :eek:
Just bought a new slug barrel for mine and while field testing it hung, up as well. Took the shot hulls home and inspected them. Found a burr at the six oclock position on the inlet side of the breach. This bur was not very big but it pushed the shell to one side, just enough to hang it up. Removed the bur and now cycles just fine. While at it, gave it a complete cleaning inside and out and it was plenty dirty fresh out of the box. Turned a white rag dark brown. Cleaner now but can still lift some of this rusty junk off the barrel. Sad but to be expected on these Express models.

Be Safe !!!

johnbt

It's a preservative. My '93 Express had enough on it to stain the white Styrofoam box liner.

I bought my 12 ga. Express in 1993 at a Christmas sale for a deep discount price of $199.95. That was $20 under the regular sale price and I thought I stole it. People were snapping them up.

It's now 16 years later and they're selling for the same price. They have to be more cheaply made, don't they?

JT

Evan Thomas

johnbt said:
It's now 16 years later and they're selling for the same price. They have to be more cheaply made, don't they?
Not necessarily, if by "cheaply" you mean that the quality is lower. Computer-controlled manufacturing has lowered production cost and increased the quality of a lot of goods -- optics come to mind here as an obvious example of something that's way less expensive now for excellent quality; and think about how inexpensive sub-MOA rifles are these days... it makes it hard for some of us to blame our shortcomings on our tools any more. :eek:

Which isn't to say they're not more cheaply made, as well -- just that manufacturers can make things more cheaply... :p

BigJimP

I didn't know you had to polish the chamber on a boat paddle ...:D

I learn something new all the time around here .....

Pahoo

With the inclusion of a plastic trigger housing or parts, not to mention the laminate stock, they are cheaper. Also, the newer ones only come with a single choke tube, in modified. I had an older one that came with three and a metal trigger guard. The price is still very reasonable by my measure and what can you expect from an Express. It's still a very serviceable shotgun. :)

Be Safe !!!

zippy13

Once again, let's not confuse the 870 Wingmaster with the 870 Express. With a Wingmaster's MSRP about $400 more than an Express, I'd expect ShottyShane's girl friend's grandfather's Wingmaster to be a lot smoother than a newer Express.

bwheasler

Not what they used to be

To say the 870 express is substandard is splitting hairs. Now I have no experience with the new express 870's , but a have a 10 year old one and have had zero trouble. Is it the same gun as my 1960 Wingmaster, no. Is the Mossberg 500 the same one made in the 60's or 70's, no. Most of our guns are not touched by hand like they used to be. That is because labor cost have gone up, that now you have to have an "express' model that most people can afford and make it affordable to someone who want to be exposed to the shooting sports, but doesn't have 400$ to pluck down on a gun that they don't know if its a sport they want to engage in. Is a Lincoln a Ford, yes. Is it the same vehicle, no, but both will get you where you are going. I know Hogdogs was drooling over the chance to poke at our beloved 870, and puff up his venerable Mossberg. That's why opinions are like @$$holes, everybody's got one, but not everbody wants to hear it.

TangoMcBlasty

Yeah... I expected the Wingmaster to be more refined than the Express. What I find disappointing though are the reliability problems. The subpar wood, the plastic parts, and funny matte finish are all fine by me. They have to cut cost somewhere. But the fact that the product has issues cycling rounds is a dent in Remington's reputation, IMO.

An inexpensive shotgun might not need to be pretty, or balanced, or smooth, or even dead-nuts accurate (if there is such a thing for shotguns), but it should at least shuck rounds without hesitation!

I'm not using my Express for HD so I don't lose sleep over it. Like I said, I'm more disappointed than anything.

bwheasler

Troubling, but probably true.

It's a sad when the greatist gun manufactors in the greatist country have it seems lost track of quality. Guess I'll stick to the old ones.

rantingredneck

I bought my 12 ga. Express in 1993 at a Christmas sale for a deep discount price of $199.95. That was $20 under the regular sale price and I thought I stole it. People were snapping them up.

Round these parts the basic 28" VR Rem Choke express in laminate wood or synthetic is going to run you close to 300.00. That's Wal-mart's price. Last one I bought new there I believe was 287 and some change before taxes. I think the price has gone up a few bucks since then. I've not seen one for 199.00-229.00 new in quite some time. I did buy a 20 ga Youth Express with rifled slug barrel for 199 used recently.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
ranks right down there with mossy.............
You did note I posted that "remmy shotty" just to rake yer hide backwards!:D

It's a preservative. My '93 Express had enough on it to stain the white Styrofoam box liner.
Not a chance! I field stripped and cleaned the gun for junior and I doubt he intends to replace the #9 and other expendables!:mad::D:mad::D
Brent

jeepman4804

My Remington Super Mag is 3 months old, chamber is nice and smooth. No stuck shells, no sticky slide... I have owned 3 of them in the past 5 years, never had a problem with em.

TMUSCLE1

Ok, this thread and others has helped me with my Remmy 870 Supermag.

I have followed the previous advice hogdogs(thanks for that) and polished my chamber. I followed the rule of thumb of just a little bit so I wouldn't get crazy with a drill. :D Now whenever I go to the range or a private field to bust some clays the gun runs flawless, after a while the slide starts to stick and I have to use an unusual ammount of force to shuck the foreend. I always figured it was the heat, but its not like I'm rapid firing either. Is it a still a chamber problem when I have been shooting for a while and my slide sticks? I didn't want to do more polishing until I was pretty sure. Or do I need to just shuck it, while I watch some football on the weekends?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
How clean are you keeping the internals? Could be a sludged up action...
Is this only with the silver colored metal cheap ammo or with the real brass better loads?
Brent