And they are flying off the shelves....

44 AMP

Staff
My local Ranch & Home has sold 150 AR rifles in the last day and a half. About 500 since last Monday. They are out of nearly everything, no mags, and I expect the last of the 5.56mm ammo to be gone today.

Every other store and shop in the area is in a similar state. They have, literally, sold out of everything even remotely like an AR. Many customers are buying pistols (and mags) or shotguns when they can't get an AR.

Business is booming like never before, even the big run before the 2008 elections. AR makers are saying they are back ordered for a year and a half now!

One thing I must say for this current administration, they can sure do a "stimulus" on gun sales!

Is this happening where you are too?

Crankgrinder

I think someone should present congress somehow with aprox. #s both in units and dollar ammounts of the things that have been flying off of the shelves due simply to the publics reaction to what they might do soon. Obviously the public does not want a ban and this activity alone shows it.

That's optimistic. I'd say its just as likely people are maxing our their credit cards and are going to be paying for these high priced guns with high interest for a long time.

This doesn't reflect on anyone here. Just a general state of our credit driven economy.

Microgunner

We're completely sold out of Black Rifles, AKs, SKSs and everything else para-military along with the corresponding ammo.

Our distributors show zero items in stock so replenishment is hit and miss right now.

I am so tired from standing at the sales counter all day.

Shotgun693

I just talked to a friend of mine who'd just returned from gun shopping. AKs are selling at $1200 and ARs $1600. Magazines were sky high too.

Fishing_Cabin

Crankgrinder said:
I think someone should present congress somehow with aprox. #s both in units and dollar ammounts of the things that have been flying off of the shelves due simply to the publics reaction to what they might do soon. Obviously the public does not want a ban and this activity alone shows it.

Unfortunatly I have spoke to a few people this week who not only buying an AR this week, but wanting the ban so they can "cash in" on it. Sick if you ask me, and unfortunatly they are hunters and say they arent worried about their "rights"...

JWT

Waited too long and started trying to find some .223 ammo yesterday. None of the on line sites have any and the local supply has disappeared to. Fear is a great motivator.

Sparks1957

Stopped at a couple of local shops while I was out today, and they were crazy busy. Most black rifles are gone and ammo shelves are stripped.

rickyrick

My wife found some .223 ammo at a sporting goods store and at a lgs, wasn't much, but At least I can shoot a couple of times.

I use a ranch rifle for hunting and I worry a bit.

m.p.driver

Was wanting to put together a M4 for the wife for Christmas.Didn't have Conn in mind,everything is sold out.No uppers,barrels,mags,everything is gone.obama has done more to boost sales since anyone since 1994.Will have to swap out a barrel on a 20 inch match AR that i have

Is this happening where you are too?

The two smallish gun shops in my town have been sold out of "tactical" everything for three days- AKs, ARs, lotsa milsurp rifles, M1s- Glocks, HKs, S&Ws- all gone. No mags, not even 7 round .45s.

Just makes 'em more of an "in common usage" firearm.

Obama & Co. sure know how to sell gun!

Tedecho

What I don't understand is why all the stores around here are out of 9mm and other pistol ammo? There hasn't been much if any talk of banning pistol ammunition.

Glenn E. Meyer

There has been talk of banning semi auto handguns with large capacities. The most common type are 9 mms. Thus, folks feel they are targeted.

Dwight55

Heck, . . . I'm just sitting here laughing like Goofy or something.

It's just too bad those clowns in DC and on the drive by media couldn't do the same for the automobile and real estate industriies.

LGS owners are going to have a good holiday season if they don't run out of all their inventory.

May God bless,
Dwight

Glenn E. Meyer

Sportsman's Guide sent me an ad with AR mags being available in Feb.

Except for one that will be available in Sept. 2011. Better get the Tardis out of the garage.

The last AWB did nothing because of available stocks. Thus, a new ban would not solve that problem without mandatory turn-ins. Let's see that happen.

SVO

A buddy and I attempted to attend a gun show here in the Houston area. My buddy was going to pick up some reloading equipment he had ordered from a dealer who would be at the show. I have never seen such a mass of humanity at any of the Houston shows. The Fire Marshall was controlling entrance to the show. If three people exited the show, then three more could enter. I saw a new in the box Windham flat top go for $2500 there in the parking lot. The Federal .223/5,56 ammo you could buy in the metal ammo can for $150 at Wallyworld or Academy- Saw 3 cans of it go for $400 a can. Crazy. We bagged that and went across town to a LGS. Place was packed with people. Same thing there - no AR's, magazines, or anything AR. Ammo on the shelves was pretty much tapped out, and a limited amount of popular calibers such as 9mm was only available if you bought a gun in that caliber. People were buying pistols like crazy. Store was so busy, the manager kept telling the store staff to ignore the ringing phones and concentrate on the people in the store. Left there and hit one last gun store on the way home. Same as the first store but they did have 7 of the 30 round magazines for the S&W MP15-22 for $17.00 each. We bought 4 of the 7 and called it a successful trip.

The buying spree I saw today was worst than what I saw in 2008. I believe that a large number of people are buying in multiples because they believe a total ban is forth coming and they are betting that they can profit when that ban goes into effect, I'm making a donation to the NRA to help disappoint those who are hoping to profit from all of this.