Ammo Question

dayman

It should work just fine. +p does add some extra oomph, but standard pressure rounds can get the job done too.
I've never used black hills myself but they seem to have a good reputation.

Nick_C_S

+P does add some extra oomph, but standard pressure rounds can get the job done too.

Make sure your piece likes to digest them, and you are comfortable shooting them. At that point, you're good to go for defense.

Don't get too wrapped up in the whole +P thing. Shot placement is far more important than an extra 80fps or whatever. From my compact carry 9mm, I've shot Speer's 124g HP's - both standard pressure and +P - I shot them in alternating fashion. 3 mags worth. The +P's were noticeably stronger, but the difference was minimal. I concluded that a "+P" designation is not required for my defense ammo.

(In 9mm. 38 Special is a different story ;) .)

Dirty_Harry

I bought enough to let all 4 of my 9mm's try them. I will let you guys know which ones do and do not.

My 9mm's:

Sw99
HK p30
Beretta M9
FNS-9

xmen

Be sure you are rated for +P

Not sure exactly how much additional powder is in the +P shells but I have a SW38 that is rated for +P. You don't want to chance +P ammo in a pistol that is not rated for it. If you are just looking to enjoy the shooting sport, (I'm not a rich man), get yourself a 22 for plinking around with. 22's are cheap to shoot. Not as cheap as they use to be but a lot cheaper than 9mm. I took my 22 revolver to a conceal carry class and everyone there shot it, fun gun to shoot and plink around with.

PointOneSeven

Looks usable as a carry round, and you have plenty to test on the two carry units.

It's a good weight and probably expands ok. Looks like a good find.

hartcreek

You were ripped off

You can reload your own much more inexpensively. I have used Hornady XTP 115 grain for more the two deckades for 9mm, 9mm Corto, .38 Special and .38 S&W.

Bozz10mm

Although the Black Hills ammo is probably fairly decent ammo, I would recommend you try the Federal HST 124gr. and buy it in the 50 round box.
Federal HST is one of, if not the best, performing rounds available today. I'm talking about penetration and expansion.

And, in the 50 round box, it's cheaper than the Black Hills ammo by almost 18 cents a round. It is available here: http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Federal-Premium-Tactical-HST-9mm-124-Gr-Ammo-p/p9hst1.htm

Theohazard

hartcreek said:
You were ripped off
You can reload your own much more inexpensively. I have used Hornady XTP 115 grain for more the two deckades for 9mm, 9mm Corto, .38 Special and .38 S&W.
Wait, what? So he was ripped off only because it's cheaper to reload? Of course it's cheaper to reload, nobody's arguing that. But some of us don't reload.

And for some people, reloading would cost them more money than just buying factory ammo. For many people, time is money; and if you could be earning money during the time it takes you to reload ammo, then it doesn't make financial sense to reload.

marine6680

I believe Black Hills uses one of the major brands bullets to load with. Not sure which ATM...

They have a solid reputation for making quality stuff.

As was said, +P is not needed in 9mm... Federal dropped the +P 124gr HST as far as I can tell. You only gained 50fps in velocity anyway.

Modern HP designs have improved the 9mm a good deal. Any modern HP 124-147gr from a quality manufacturer will most likely work well. Avoid the 115gr HP, they don't perform as well. The Barnes bullet is the exception to the 125gr rule.

Dirty_Harry

From my reading they use the remington golden saber bullet I believe.

Sorry I dont reload, I would like to, but to be honest I dont have the time anyway.

That federal stuff looks nice, I may order a couple boxes.

Don P

I am starting to think I needed the +p ammo. Is this stuff ok? Any experience? I intend to use it in my M9, P30 and FNS-9. I plan to carry the latter 2.

Shot placement is job 1. standard ammo, +P ++P, +++P, or super duper ++++P means nothing if you are not on target.
Standard ammo has taken the life of so many folks and animals well before the intro of +P anything.
My opinion a sales gimmick and not needed. :cool:

pilpens

5 boxes of special ammo should be plenty but it truly depends on you and how you practice.
==
When I test for ammo/gun reliability, it takes only 2-3 of magazines of the new ammo. I already know that my SD pistol is reliable with practice rounds. So, I am really only testing feeding and cycling with the new ammo. POA/POI may shift a little but not big enough to worry about.
My usual CC is a 7+1 and has 2 mags loaded with special ammo. When practicing with my CC, the chambered round get shot 1-2x a month and shoot practice rounds in a 3rd spare mag. Every 3-4 months, I shoot 1 mag of the special ammo.
==
I have a house gun that has 1 mag loaded with special ammo and empty chamber but it does not get shot much. When I practice with it, I use a spare mag with practice ammo. My CC is the primary and the house gun is backup.
==
I would not worry about +P and such. Stick with known brands and/or reputable companies.

Last edited:

psalm7

I buy the performance ammo to shoot once in a while and stash most of it away in ammo cans . General shooting I use Rem green box and Win white box . The only warning I have heard of for +P's is dont shoot them in Walther P38,s .

zincwarrior

It seemed like a good price for hollowpoints, I couldnt pass them up.

Its intentional. Their marketing mantra is on the order of 'defensive rounds inexpensive enough that you can actually practice what you shoot.' In comparison tests with a variety of firearms, while they may not be as absolutely accurate as some other high end defensive rounds, they are plenty accurate and expand quite well.

You definitely did not go wrong.