Ammo Prices: What's the new normal?

FITASC

As long as there are enough idiots willing to pay twenty-five cents for a primer, or two dollars for a single round of loaded ammo, why would the prices ever come down?
Imagine being a manufacturer, who without investing in a new facility, or additional employees, or having to buy additional raw materials, makes two or five times as much money as previously?
These are glory days for ammo makers, and they have zero interest in seeing them end.

Seriously? Do you not realize that their costs have skyrocketed? When fuel has soared to where it is, EVERYTHING goes up; raw materials are up, labor costs have skyrocketed, inflation has devalued their buying power raising costs. Are they making money? Yep, called capitalism; but are they raping us? I do not think so. Anyone thinking they will see .01/.22lr or .10/9mm is kidding themselves.

edm1

They will charge what people will pay. That said the raw materials, transportation etc will keep the prices higher than we want them to be.

jonnyc

As long as W-mart continues to sell .30-30 and .22LR at about 2020 prices, I'll survive. I just discovered a "lost" 1000 rounds of 9mm in my stores. Buy what you shoot whenever you find a decent price. Always a good investment.

jmr40

Over the long haul the cost of consumer goods in relation to wages actually stays pretty steady. For short periods of time the cost of goods rises faster than wages. That is where we are now. I don't expect ammo prices, or any other consumer goods to drop significantly.

But the wages that people earn will at some point rise enough to even things out. You also have to realize that for the last 30 years or so wages have been rising faster than the cost of most consumer goods. Many of us didn't understand how good we've had it.

RickB

Seriously? Do you not realize that their costs have skyrocketed? When fuel has soared to where it is, EVERYTHING goes up; raw materials are up, labor costs have skyrocketed, inflation has devalued their buying power raising costs. Are they making money? Yep, called capitalism; but are they raping us? I do not think so. Anyone thinking they will see .01/.22lr or .10/9mm is kidding themselves.

The 25 cent primers at my LGS were acquired in trade; how much do you think they gave; ten cents?

Onward Allusion

Over the long haul the cost of consumer goods in relation to wages actually stays pretty steady. For short periods of time the cost of goods rises faster than wages. That is where we are now. I don't expect ammo prices, or any other consumer goods to drop significantly.

But the wages that people earn will at some point rise enough to even things out. You also have to realize that for the last 30 years or so wages have been rising faster than the cost of most consumer goods. Many of us didn't understand how good we've had it.

Huh? Things started going downhill after 1971. Real wages have not kept up at all. Not sure where you're getting your data. Regardless, the current ammo price increases are due to supply chain, runaway monetary policy, & demand.

sfwusc

25 cents per primer?

The only way you can justify that price is loading odd ball stuff.

Most people load more common rounds —- can’t see the demand being there at 25 cents.

I think 7-12 cents each is normal now.

chadio

Tula 7.62 x 39: 395$ for a case of 1000

S&B 9mm: $19.99 for 50

FN 5.7 x 28 - 80 cents per round

...for what it's worth in the discussion...

vito

I'm glad I bought a ton of 22LR several years ago since that is pretty much the only thing I have been shooting at the range. I think I'll wait until a brick of 500 comes down again to $10 or $12 dollars before I buy again. (I know I am dreaming.)

ballardw

I'm glad I bought a ton of 22LR several years ago since that is pretty much the only thing I have been shooting at the range. I think I'll wait until a brick of 500 comes down again to $10 or $12 dollars before I buy again. (I know I am dreaming.)
I haven't seen 500 rds of 22 for $10 locally since about a week after Obama was elected the first time.