Ammo: How much is too much?

IronBalls

I buy ammo about every time i shoot, (not always finishing what i bought) and ocasionally buy lots in bulk when there are good deals. Tonight i did an accounting... and am kinda disturbed at how much i have. The total number really is something, but more so is the fact that even in the face of such a 'stock pile' i feel light in a few calibers... (i may give some numbers later)

Hi, im Ironballs, and i am an ammoaholic...

share your ammo hording stories if you will-

Hal

From our standpoint, there is no such thing as "too much ammo".

From the standpoint of the ignorant, anything over 100 rounds, which the media will classify as a "Cache" or "stockpile", results in their ignorant faces screwing up with an expression of disgust. I see this happen almost every time the media hypes up an incident where a few hundred or a few thousand rounds of ammo is involved.

I usually shrug it off and explain to them that ammo comes in 500 round cases or in the case of .22's 500 round bricks. When I see a good sale, I pick up several cases and/or bricks. At any given time, I may have 5,000 to 50,000 rounds of assorted calibers on hand. Double that figure if you count all of the components sitting around waiting to be reloaded. I then explain that an hour's shooting at the range will eat up easily 200 rounds. (at least) Double that if my wife is along, and double it again if I go twice a week. That means that the *horrific stockpile" of 5,000 rounds of ammunition (which sounds so scarry in the media reports) amounts to about a month's supply.

Some listen. Most don't.

elmrich

I like to store 250 rounds per pistol and 500 rounds for my AK47's and SKS. I also write the date of purchase on the box so I make sure I use the older ammo up first.

Baba Louie

Too MUCH Ammo? :eek:

What's that? :confused:

There's never enough, even when you HAVE enough. A Hurricane or Tornado or Earthquake or Forest/Brush Fire (or even a riot or two) could develop and some governor/mayor/WalMart Regional Manager might put a moratorium on firearm and ammo purchase just when it's really needed most...

5 - 10 boxes minimum for each caliber to feed your charges... be they bricks of 500, premium of 20/25/50 or generics of 100. Exceptions can be made for those who buy their boxes in the form of surplus 5.56/7.62/.50 cal. ammo cans. :D

Too much ammo...

Sheesh

Bravo25

Gee, I never thought there was a number high enough to classify as too much. No matter how much I have it is too little.

Preacherman

Amateurs, all of you! :D

Here's my ammo locker:

attachment.php

Wildalaska

if you have more than 50 rounds of ammo around...

Your not shooting enough

WildammoislikeawifehereonedayandgonethenextAlaska

SAXD9

Holy smoke! I wish I had a locker that well stocked!
I am PAINFULLY undersupplied right now. I don't think I could make it through a 2 minute firefight right now with what i have on hand. I'm planning on buying a case of .9mm and a case of 7.62x39 next payday.

I know a reloader/competition shooter that says he gets nervous when he gets down to about 1,000rds per gun! Lol.

Guy B. Meredith

As long as you have room for everything else, the only limit is how much you figure you can used in your lifetime. Of course, you COULD will it to the kids.

psycho nut

How can you have to much ammo? :confused: Do you need to see the Doctor?

I had about 10,000 rounds of .22 once.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! :eek: That is a lot of ammo, can I come over? :D :D :D :D

blackmind

Just don't be there when it happens! :D

Preacherman, that closet looks more like the wall behind the counter of most gun shops! :p

-blackmind

claude783

to much ammo...perish the thought!

I have 1,000 rnds of 308, 2,500 rounds of 223, 2000 rnds of 9mm, 8,000 rnds of .22, and probably 1,500-2,000 rnds of 38sp/357's...and at the next gun show plan on getting another 2,000 rnds of 223!

UltimaThule

I've posted these somewhere before. But here's my car from a shopping trip some time ago. And again from a different shopping trip. Hey, ammo is expensive. I'm too cheap not to take advantage when there is a good price on something. :D

(Well, not all of it is for me, it's easier to buy in bulk if you coordinate with a couple of friends.)

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 129
  • 9mm.jpg
    9mm.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 134

C Philip

I have too much ammo...

To fit in my safe that is! :D I need to get a bigger ammo locker or something. I just have it in a box on the floor, there is no more room in my safe. I just ordered another 1000 rounds of 9mm from ammoman also. Note to self; 70 round bandoliers of 8mm mauser ammo take up more space that you would think.