Ammo Background Checks in CA

Metal god

Went back to Walmart this evening to buy the ammo making sure I had my 2 forms of ID . The problem this time was I didn't have anyone in the store authorized to sell ammo . I was told they were not selling ammo until tomorrow morning because there was no employees on shift authorized or trained to sell it at the time .

DaleA

-more and more people think passing a law prevents something from happening .

An astute observation. Like thinking a "Gun Free Zone" will deter someone bent on mayhem.

As you describe the trials and tribulations and stupidity you have to go through to get ammunition in California I'm aware of quite a few folk in Minnesota saying "Yeah! THAT'S what we want HERE." And it could happen.

stephen426

What an incredibly stupid and absurd law. What keeps people from buying ammo in neighboring states and just driving over? Heck, what keeps someone from buying ammo legally (with the background check) and then using it in an illegal manner.

I'm willing to bet that each time the ammo check is sent, it keeps a record of what type of ammo and how much ammo is being purchased. It is almost as bad a requiring your gun to be registered. Thank GOD I live in Florida, even with all the craziness we have out here. LOL

44 AMP

Staff
I'm willing to bet that each time the ammo check is sent, it keeps a record of what type of ammo and how much ammo is being purchased.

It might. So what? Think one MORE record will matter much??

I'm not certain, but I think the CA ammo retailer has to keep a record (log?) of what gets sold, when, and to whom, as well.

Remember CA is the state where microstamping first appeared, and became law, eventually. Other proposals that haven't (yet) made it into law have been individual serial#s for each round of ammo, on case or on the bullet or both, depending on who's demanding it (or at least lot# id), unique powder "taggants", and likely other things I'm not aware of as well.

CA is the origin of the "assault weapon" hysteria and all that has brought with it, over the years. Though, to be fair, its not California, its just some of the people in it....

JDBerg

stephen426: said:
I'm willing to bet that each time the ammo check is sent, it keeps a record of what type of ammo and how much ammo is being purchased. It is almost as bad a requiring your gun to be registered. Thank GOD I live in Florida, even with all the craziness we have out here. LOL

Since July 1st I have had 1 Basic Ammo Eligibility Check for $19 and 1 Standard Ammo Eligibility Check for $1 completed here to buy ammo. In order to get an ammo check completed you have to provide I.D., in my case, my CA drivers license. Every time they complete a check there is a DROS (Dealer Record of Sale) that is sent to the CA Dept. of Justice Bureau of Firearms, the DROS includes what caliber ammo bought, and how much bought. The dealer has to keep signed paper receipts of the DROS transaction since they are subject to audit & review. So it’s a fact that they are tracking who’s buying what, how much & how often. But I’m going to hold my nose & deal with it.

JDBerg

What keeps people from buying ammo in neighboring states and just driving over?[\QUOTE]

Well that is illegal in CA, the ammo has to be shipped to a CA FFL who does the ammo eligibility check and you have to show up in person to sign the DROS, and then transport your ammo home. I can’t imagine what happens if you fail the ammo check, or if there is a comp glitch, since you probably can’t return the ammo.

Heck, what keeps someone from buying ammo legally (with the background check) and then using it in an illegal manner.

If you are a criminal, nothing will stop anything that is illegal. In CA all firearm ownership records are maintained by the CA DOJ Bureau of Firearms in their Automated Firearms System (AFS) and your DOJ BOF firearm ownership records in the AFS have to match up to your current address and drivers license to be able to buy ammo with a minimum $1 standard eligibility check. Otherwise you have to go with the $19 basic eligibility check every time you buy ammo. Not all ammo dealers do basic checks anyway.

If you haven’t bought a firearm within the last 5 years, but you bought firearms in CA, you have to go online to the AFS & update your ownership records to show what you currently own or decide you want to record what you own. If you moved within CA since you bought your firearm you have to go online & update your ownership records. If you move into the state with firearms you have to manually complete a New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership form & have it approved in the AFS. Oh and you need a REAL ID compliant drivers license to avoid having to take your passport or birth certificate every time you buy ammo. After that, everything is easy-peasey!

Last edited:

JWT

Please don't let any of your California people move to Az if they support goofy ideas and laws like that. In the meantime, deepest sympathies to those who must live with such inane laws.

JDBerg

The law abiding gun owners in CA are not voting for Prop 63, but they have to live with the fact that the “majority” is willing to vote their constitutional rights away, with the misguided notion that this is needed to promote public safety.

dajowi

The overall plan to rid Americans of firearms entails making the process of owning a firearm and or ammunition and or other related materials so onerous, expensive, and confusing that the normal gun owner just gives up.:mad:

Metal god

They filed a motion request for injunction yesterday .

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/2019-07-22-Memo-of-Ps-As-ISO-Plaintiffs-MPI.pdf

For Immediate Release:

Injunction Filed to Stop California Ammunition Sales restrictions

On Monday, July 22, CRPA with support of NRA filed a motion requesting an injunction against enforcement of California’s recently implemented ammunition laws. The injunction is part of the case Rhode v. Becerra, filed in April of 2018, where lead Plaintiff and gold medal Olympian shooter Kim Rhode and other Plaintiffs have asked the court to halt enforcement after a dubious roll out of the new law on July 1st.

The entire system has been shown to be an unconstitutionally excessive burden on law-abiding gun owners with little to no law enforcement value. California ammunition retailers were given little if any guidance from the state explaining the procedures for processing ammunition sales, amounting to mass confusion throughout the state.

If the court grants the Plaintiffs’ request, it will prohibit California from enforcing its ammunition sales restrictions while the Rhode case is fully litigated. A hearing on the Plaintiffs’ request is currently scheduled for August 19. A decision is expected sometime thereafter.

NRA and CRPA thank Able’s Ammo of Huntsville, Texas, and Ammunition Depot of Boca Raton, Florida, for their continued support of the Rhode lawsuit and support in filing the request for an injunction. NRA and CRPA would also like to thank the countless individuals and businesses who reached out, as well as the following California ammunition retailers who supported Monday’s filing by providing declarations regarding the effect California’s ammunition sales restrictions have had on their businesses:

Turner’s Outdoorsman (27 state-wide locations)

LAX Ammunition OC (Huntington Beach)

Norco Armory (Norco)

Foothill Ammo (Shingle Springs)

Guns, Fishing and Other Stuff (Vacaville)

Royal Loan (San Diego)

Mosquito Creek Outfitters (Placerville)

Discount Gun Mart (San Diego and Santee)

Continue to check your inbox and the California Stand and Fight webpage for updates on the Rhode​ case as well as other issues impacting your Second Amendment rights and hunting heritage in California. ​

44 AMP

Staff
I wouldn't say the current administration is anti-gun, I'd say they are pro-opportunistic. If they feel being pro-gun gets them more support, they're pro-gun (lip service at least) but if they feel the other way, then they aren't pro-gun. This seems to fluctuate over different gun issues.

The Democrats, on the other hand, made gun control one of their party planks before the last election, and don't seem to be changing that. Even if there were a pro-gun Democratic candidate, the odds of them becoming the chosen candidate are slim, and none, and looks like Slim is out of town for an extended period of time...

The requested suspension of the law until the court case is settled could go either way. CA has done both, if I remember correctly. The microstamping law was suspended for a time, while court challenges were underway. The magazine capacity ban enforcement was not (after essentially one week of free trade), it was allowed to be enforced while court challenges are ongoing.

(if I am mistaken, please correct me, I'm not a CA resident so just watching this (with horror) from the outside...)

Metal god

The magazine capacity ban enforcement was not (after essentially one week of free trade), it was allowed to be enforced while court challenges are ongoing.

No the enforcement is still on hold kinda . No you can't buy them but we couldn't here since 1992 really . You how ever now can posses them with out penalty where the new law made even having them illegal .

62coltnavy

I bought 500 rounds of .308 at a great price, and my (tabletop) ffl bought 1000. He was checking me out after my ten day hold on a handgun, and was going to do the ammo transfer at the same time--which was going to be a first for him. He hadn't been trained, and he was unsuccessful in navigating the required information. Not only did it require the input of the caliber and amount of the ammo sold, but the bullet weight, bullet type, muzzle velocity, muzzle energy, stock number, and intended use of the ammo (hunting, training, range, plinking were the possible choices). We decided that the deal could wait, since the ammo hadn't actually made it to his doorstep yet (it was due that day).

So not only can they show that you bought a certain caliber of ammo, but can theoretically match a purchase to a bullet pulled out of anyone you shot! I haven't read Prop 63 in a while, but I have to wonder if that law allowed the DOJ to gather all of this information. Anyway, the lesson appears to be that if you plan on killing someone, use reloaded ammo that they cannot trace to you! (sarc/)

44 AMP

Staff
can theoretically match a purchase to a bullet pulled out of anyone you shot! ….use reloaded ammo......

Won't work, either way.

The reason it won't work has to do with language and our court system.

NO expert, including crime labs, will testify that the bullet is an exact match. They don't need to. What they will say is that the bullet "is consistent with..."

Remember that all the prosecution has to "prove" to the jury is that you had means, motive, and opportunity. You possessing (having purchased, or made yourself) a bullet that "is consistent with" the crime bullet = "means".

having detailed records of all the ammo you purchase simply makes proving you had the means, a simpler matter for the prosecution. They don't even have to find any of that ammo in your possession, it doesn't matter, if they have a record of you buying it, that's all they need to prove to a jury you had the means.

Proving that you had means, motive, and opportunity does NOT prove you committed the crime. But it does mean you cannot be excluded from being a suspect.

The rest is up to the jury, and as Mark Twain is reputed to have said, a jury is 12 men who decide which side has the better liar.

SIGSHR said:
Given California's size, driving to a neighboring state is a major expedition.
I haven't read the actual law but I'd be surprised if it doesn't address "importation." If it does, bringing back ammo from a neighboring state would be a crime.