American Derringer in 10mm Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter0924

Gary, brother, I expect you are exactly correct.

I had seen a .357 Magnum derringer as well and I wondered if it was as bad to shoot as the 10mm Auto.

skizzums

that's really suprising that you were getting close to a thousand fps. I always assumed that was the downside to a derringer was velocity loss. I could see with a rubber grip and some softer ammo, it might actually make an option. maybe a good gun for going to the beach or jogging or whatever would require such concealment. good report, thanks

Hunter0924

I was pretty surprised on the velocities myself. We shot 2 rounds of each over the chronograph to be sure the first was not a fluke.
I appreciate the kind words.

lamarw

Did you notice whether there was any tumbling of the bullets? I would expect such out of a such a short barrel at any distance.

JD0x0

Looks cool. May be a bit much powder for such a short barrel and small weapon, I'd probably be more inclined to load .40's over the full powered 10mm.

Hunter0924

The furthest we shot it was 30 feet but the bullet did not keyhole. I guess there was enough rifling to get sufficient stabilization.
Now what happens when I shoot ballistic gel with it may be a different story.

There was less than 200 fps loss as compared to a Glock 20 round for round. I do wonder how .40 S&W loads would do or handloads with a very fast propellant.

Thank you all for the feedback.

TXAZ

With that I expect you don't have to hit them, the muzzle flash and flame thrower aspects is likely to blind any assailant.

Guv

At bad breath distance I would think the muzzle blast may add to the damage caused by the discharge of the round. Make for a pretty nasty wound full of debris.

Snyper

Those are last resort "belly guns" that are really only useful at arms length, and I consider them toys more than tools

As a back-up to a better gun, they may serve some purpose

Hunter0924

Oh I agree on the distance.
It took right much practice to get 2 rounds in an 8" circle at 25 feet. And that practice sucked.
I like the idea of it being a BUG as I EDC a Glock 20 and in the same caliber.
I have carried it a few days and it is pretty comfortable to carry but it is definitely a short range pistol with only 2 rounds but in a tight spot it would get someone off of you.

Sevens

I'd probably be more inclined to load .40's over the full powered 10mm.
I'm not at all familiar with the Derringer in general or these new production ones like this specific one... but unless it's got some really nifty sort of extraction setup, the 10mm round is going to headspace the same way all semi-auto rounds headspace, and that's on the case mouth.

Unless they've done something different here, .40 S&W won't reliably fire in this gun. It'll fall forward in the chamber and the firing pins won't hit the primers.

Hunter0924

Sevens,
You are correct sir. The round headspaces on the case mouth. My test sample does not have any sort of extractor but a fingernail works fine.

publius

I have one in .357 and although it is a very well made gun, it is close to useless in my opinion. It takes two hands to cock the thing b/c of the ridiculously strong hammer spring, you also have to cock it for both shots. It's heavy, the hammer is very easy to snag on clothing, no sights to speak of, you only have two shots. I like playing with it every once in a while but there are much better choices for serious use.

Hunter0924

publius
I agree with you.
I was going to buy the test sample but I decided to put that money on powder and primers.
It has a very cool factor and is fun to shoot but is a handful. I have been back and forth with American Derringer since this article was published and I hope to review another one of their guns.
I appreciate your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.