Am I the only one who wants Iron Sights?

beenthere

Iron Sights

Guess I got enough responses to know I'm not alone. I guess in my case the belt and suspenders comment strikes home. I have hunted when rain,freezing rain, ice fog or sleet kept me from seeing anything through a scope. That was a really bad week on a hunt 1250 miles from home. On one occasion I passed on a 35 foot shot at a deer because I couldn't see anything but hair and I didn't know what hair. Then he was gone in the fog. As I said to start with, I'd be happy if Ruger, Win, Rem, etc would drill and tap all their rifles for iron sights and plug them with screws. They could include a note saying "Our rifles are set up for Williams XYZ or Lyman LMN, or Williams whatever. The introduction of the Williams Firesite has rejuvinated my iron sight shooting but trying to find out what will fit is a real chore. The other thing is I don't want the gun manufacturer deciding for me that their 270 Winchester can only be used with a scope even though it is sold as an all weather rifle.

BredanSIG

I prefer Iron versus Glass on my long arms. Hopefully I will purchase a CZ rifle either the 527 Carbine(7.62x39) or the 550 FS in .308. I was taught with iron sights, and have come love shooting my CZ 452 Trainer.
For the distances I hunt(~200 yards), iron sights are easier for me. Just my opioin FWIW.
My old 10/22 had a scope, that at some time or another the recticle broke somehow. I would assume while being transported and being subject to rough travel, the fine hairs snapped. As a result of this, the scope came off and was never replaced.

Every rifle needs irons..........atleast as a back up!

My rifles both have irons(ar and ak), I just don't use them if I don't have to.......My ak is plain and simple, irons only.....for now(the sidemount rail is calling for some attention lol). My ar on the other hand, has irons, 3x9x32mm magnifying optic(carry handle), and red dot (forward mounted)....on an M4gery no less :eek: :D ! Now I have to decide what to use!....My combo optic is the most fun though....the speed of a red dot with the magnification(when set on 3-4.5pwr) of a low power deer scope! Talk about the best of both worlds ;) !

the combo comes from the setup.....I can use the red dot through the magnified scope and the red dot is centered in the crosshair........ a little hold over and easy QUICK hits off-hand of the 2-4 moa variety at a 100yds or more.....heavy, but effective none the less :cool:

Get proficient with irons and then use what you like :cool: !

beenthere

Iron sights

Thanks again everyone. I especially appreciate all of the sites to check for iron sights. Just wish I had as many options to get iron from the rifle manufacturers for all calibers.

stevelyn

One of the my biggest irritations is rifles not being offered with iron sights.Or at least not being drilled and tapped for irons.
However, in most cases factory irons suck compared to what is available on the aftermarket.

Wildalaska

Ever rifle I own has iron sights. My Sako 338 wears std Sako front and an NECG rear, sighted in a 100 yards. My Pre 64 Win 70 300 H&H has the standard vintage 1948 sights which I worked to also sight in at 100 yards ( Igenerally shoot 2-3 inches, 5 shots with the open). My steyr SSG has standard open sights as do my garand, my carbine, my marlin 22, my Swedes...the only rifle I havent fired with open sights is my SSG...

On my rifle Im building soon I am gonna probably put a barrel band front and either a quarter rib or an express just for coolness.....a real nice one too is the auxiliary EAW peep....

WildyousightupmylifeAlaska

mathman

No way dude!

Iron sights are a must to me...even if you have a scope on the gun.

A scope is nice for hunting, but it is fragile and can be bumped in such a way to render it useless...it's alway nice to have a back up. ;)

kaiserworks

steelersfan0000,
I'm a Steelers fan too! I just spent several months to come up with a decent iron sight set up for my FAL, it had them originally of course but they were severly lacking as far as windage and elevation adjustment. Here are some pics:
b.jpg

i.jpg

k.jpg

-Greg
my email

mathman

Handy,

You're 33? So am I...but my vision isn't 20/15...but they do make these things called 'glasses,' and I can shoot just fine using open sights.

I never pictured you as a '33 year old'...

David Todd

I LOVE irons!
I shoot with scopes, also, but keep going back to irons for serious hunting and "real " traget shooting!
ruger7x57.jpg

m37_starboard_side.jpg

MVC-030F.jpg

David

Death from Afar

INteresting thread.

If you wear glasses ( like me) you will never shoot very well with iron sights as the convex or concave shape of the lens will distrot your sight picture. You will tend to get verticle or horizontal stringing of shots as the relationship between eye, glass lens and sight shifts between shots. So, I kinda have to use telescopic sights.

gak

Beenthere, everyone's made good points, but I'm with you on your 3-16 response (to your dilemma). I don't like Winchester, etc., making the decision in advance for me. That OR all guns should come with the option of either (as the primary choice), though that kind of variety sadly will likely never happen again. I don't like that the glossy Rem BDL comes with open sights, but the nicer (to me) CDL does not; or that the Win safari type (big game caliber) rifles come with open/iron sights (for a tactical reason) but others do not. I've done high mounts which (sorta) solves the problem, but they make the "profile" of the rifle even worse (higher, more unwieldy). Still, they are a choice that does give you both on guns equipped with open sights, just not an ideal set up.

Last edited:

Drunk Fat Man

I shoot only range targets and iron sights are the way to go. I only have one rifle I shoot with a scope (my 30-40 Krag) and the only reason i do is becasue it does not have any irons on it. I bought it from my uncle and thats the way it came.